Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2001 6:31:15 AM EDT
I had my wife ship my 16" upper to Bushmaster this morning for a muzzle brake install. They charged her $52! This seems kind of high to me. The guy told her that it had to shipped FED-EX since it was a part to a firearm and the fact that we insured it for $600 was the other reason for the high price.

Does this sound right?

I can understand if it was the whole rifle but just the upper falls under this too? Bushmaster said their return shipping to me would only be about $12 to $16.

Why the difference?
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Short answer:  Bullshit.

She got incorrect information..."Parts of a firearm" are NOT firearms...shipping an upper without the lower is just like shipping a brick...no laws (federal, at least) regulate shipping of parts, whether firearm parts or any other kind.

You can get the correct rate yourself from the Fed-Ex website.

If it were me, I'd bitch 'til they refunded the difference.  Hope you paid by CC.

hanko
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That's BS for sure.

You could have shipped it UPS ground but I would still get the $600 insurance. From CA to Bushmaster that would be less than $12.

For $52, I hope it was shipped Priority Overnight.

Did she ship it from Mail Boxes Etc., or directly from your local FedEx customer counter?
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You could have shipped it U.S.Postal Service for $10
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I just shipped out two items--

First one was several mags (maybe 5 lbs total) from Illinois to Texas from the FED-EX shipping center.  I asked for the price for the overnight ($33) and the standard 2 day ($12) including insurance for $200.

The other one was a Complete firearm--16" upper and lower separate.  Overnight to Alaska INCLUDING $1600 insurance would have been $65.  Two day Fed-Ex was $42 including the insurance.

You got ripped off.

AFARR

And--as far as I know, there is no policy for Fed-Ex to ship long guns overnight--only handguns.

Parts are just that--parts.  That is all you should have to declare on the shipping document (actually, Fed-Ex counter forms don't even have a place to write what is in them).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top