Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Did you guys know that Nathan Fillion was in Saving Private Ryan, as the 'wrong' Ryan?  The one they first found with Ted Danson's character, who said:

"I've got to get home - I've got to get home right now!"

I thought that was kind of cool.  Just wanted to share.

www.sproe.com/r/ryan-wrong.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
That was him... man you just ruined my high opinion of him. Up until now I thought he was a cool guy because the characters he's played are kinda tough... but he was a whiney little bitch in SPR. Shit.

ETA: I've been wanting to see the episodes with him on Buffy again lately. He was cool in that. I'll probably catch it... they're coming up on the end of the second to last season on FX in the morning (7-9am)
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That was him... man you just ruined my high opinion of him. Up until now I thought he was a cool guy because the characters he's played are kinda tough... but he was a whiney little bitch in SPR. Shit.
)

That's one of those tests of a good actor.  Can you absoluted love one type of character they play, but then have them play a completely differant type of character and although you hate the character you've gotta admit they made it believable.

See Robin Williams in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... Yeah, except that FOX has the rights for the next 10yrs or so...and I have no faith that they would treat it the way it should be...

Why should you have any faith in Fox re: Firefly?!?!  They screwed the pooch from the get-go with this series.  First the Friday night time-slot.

Then they aired the episodes out of order against Whedon's objections, not even airing the 2-hour pilot episode until word had leaked out that it would be cancelled!

It was IMHO a great show that drew all the wrong cards...

Can't wait for the movie!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Never got into it.

I really dug the Buffy series, and liked "Angel" enough. I never tuned in to Firefly.

One thing I really liked about the few minutes of Firefly that I did see was the special effects... They weren't afraid to do some very bold things with their CGI.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Never got into it.
I really dug the Buffy series, and liked "Angel" enough. I never tuned in to Firefly.
One thing I really liked about the few minutes of Firefly that I did see was the special effects... They weren't afraid to do some very bold things with their CGI.

The CGI is better tha an other sci-fi shows, like Babalon 5, Andromeda, etc. I think a lot of the stuff in this show is top-notch, movie quality.

I don't ever remember this show even being on TV.

I watch Angel from time to time but it's a lot harder to get into than Buffy. I already like Firefly better.

Quoted:
That's one of those tests of a good actor.  Can you absoluted love one type of character they play, but then have them play a completely differant type of character and although you hate the character you've gotta admit they made it believable.

See Robin Williams in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Robin Williams has some definite versatility. Personally I like him better in serious roles than as a goof-ball in comedy roles. Good Wil Hunting, Dead Poets Society (although he used a lot of his stale routine impersonations in this movie he stil pulled it off)... he's not a bad actor. One Hour Photo... weird movie.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One thing I really liked about the few minutes of Firefly that I did see

Well, there's your problem...

With 9 main characters, there is a tremendous amount of exposition to cover. It simply takes time to flesh out that many people - definitely not a series for the attention-span-challenged. However, once you've finished the "orientation", you're hooked!

If you get the chance, borrow or rent the DVD set and spend a few hours with it - It'll be time well-spent. Everyone I've loaned my set to had essentially the same reaction - "It took me a while to get into it, but...wow!"
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One thing I really liked about the few minutes of Firefly that I did see

Well, there's your problem...

With 9 main characters, there is a tremendous amount of exposition to cover. It simply takes time to flesh out that many people - definitely not a series for the attention-span-challenged. However, once you've finished the "orientation", you're hooked!

If you get the chance, borrow or rent the DVD set and spend a few hours with it - It'll be time well-spent. Everyone I've loaned my set to had essentially the same reaction - "It took me a while to get into it, but...wow!"

Hmm. Well... I'll give it a shot if I get the chance.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The characters really make the difference.

All of the Star Trek spin offs had basically the same cast formula.

The Firefly characters didn't come from a cookie cutter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The characters really make the difference.
All of the Star Trek spin offs had basically the same cast formula.
The Firefly characters didn't come from a cookie cutter.

Not from a cookie cutter?
- Token blacks
- Token hotties (hardly ever does the crew of a spaceship have serious hags as the main characters.... even a borg-bitch or a Klingon Halfbreed can be a walking erecting maker.
- White-bread Captain
- PC female "first ociffer" (who happens to be black)
- Token psycho-war mongering thug tough guy

Just no token alien crew member or token android...

I think their personalities fall from the cookie cutter though which is what makes them all so likeable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#11]
man, the clip to the movie is awesome. and the capt looks alot better now that he's got some age and experience on his face.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To me they are....well....exactly what one would expect, which is to say that they act as I would expect people in their situations to act. My only real complaint with the subplot was how little was done with it, as I have a feeling it's a LOT bigger than what we are led to believe.....

Tow by two, Hands of Blue....

Yea, They barely touched this plot line.  That's why I got so pissed when they ended the series.

That, and I'm dying to know just what it was on Sheperd Book's ident card that made the Alliance officers snap to and get him first rate med care when he was shot.......was he maybe part of Alliance special forces, or maybe some high up but retired pol......man....
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not from a cookie cutter?
- Token blacks

Huh?

- Token hotties (hardly ever does the crew of a spaceship have serious hags as the main characters.... even a borg-bitch or a Klingon Halfbreed can be a walking erecting maker.

Not too many plain-looking people get acting jobs.

- White-bread Captain

Reynolds is an outlaw and smuggler, having been on the losing side of the war.  There are a lot of facets of his personality that weren't fully brought out in the first season.

- PC female "first ociffer" (who happens to be black)

Zoe is PC???

- Token psycho-war mongering thug tough guy

Where do you see someone like Jayne as a regular in a star trek crew?

Just no token alien crew member or token android...

Hallelujah!

Star Trek Crew:

- Moralizing captain bringing civilization and reason to the universe.

- There has to be a Vulcan nearby supplying logic to balance the captain's humanity.  (TOS, Voyager, and Enterprise)

- The doctor provides comic relief in addition to superb healing skills

- A chief engineer who never has to consult a technical manual while jerry-rigging the most complex technology ever devised.

- Extras in red shirts that don't survive past the first commercial break.

When Enterprise started rehashing the "Mirror, Mirror" storyline I knew they had run out of new ideas.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That, and I'm dying to know just what it was on Sheperd Book's ident card that made the Alliance officers snap to and get him first rate med care when he was shot.......was he maybe part of Alliance special forces, or maybe some high up but retired pol......man....

I'm thinking that before he entered the monastary those guys would have called him "Admiral Book".

At the beginning of episode "Serenity" he was only two days out of the abbey.  Either priest training takes decades or he entered divine service after a previous lifelong career...one that precluded him from getting married and raising a family.  "Sorry, I was never married."

I figured he was probably retired upper crust brass.  He certainly didn't fight like some retired Spec For guy on the occasions he did fight.  Indeed, he usually got thrown around.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking that before he entered the monastary those guys would have called him "Admiral Book".

At the beginning of episode "Serenity" he was only two days out of the abbey.  Either priest training takes decades or he entered divine service after a previous lifelong career...one that precluded him from getting married and raising a family.  "Sorry, I was never married."

I figured he was probably retired upper crust brass.  He certainly didn't fight like some retired Spec For guy on the occasions he did fight.  Indeed, he usually got thrown around.

You may be on the right track, but he does do a bit of decent fighting, when he's not caught off guard. Let's not forget he picked up a gun and was knee-capping guys.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Shit... I got disc 2 tonight and watched them all... When I first popped it in and looked at the menu I thought to myself, "WTF, there's only two episodes on this disc... too." The episode titles are so close together it makes two look like one at first glance

When I reliazed there were four I also realized I made the same mistake on disc one and didn't watch Bushwhacked. Now I gotta get it again to see it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did you guys know that Nathan Fillion was in Saving Private Ryan, as the 'wrong' Ryan?  The one they first found with Ted Danson's character, who said:

"I've got to get home - I've got to get home right now!"

I thought that was kind of cool.  Just wanted to share.

sonofagun.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#18]
The only thing I didn't like about FIrefly is that I wanted more of it. I'm already tempted to engrave "Vera" onto my AR
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The only thing I didn't like about FIrefly is that I wanted more of it. I'm already tempted to engrave "Vera" onto my AR

You know about the movie, Serenity, right?!?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to visit the crappy town where I'm a hero!  
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#21]
The episodes on disk 3 are awesome. I liked the flashback/character history one a lot (Out of Gas).

So far I think Out of Gas, War Stories and Ariel are the coolest episodes.

Ariel kicked ass because of how Mal dealt with Jayne. What was up with those "fed' guys that were killing all the Alliance guys at the hospital trying to get Rain? Freaky.

War Stories... Man Mal might not be able to kick some serious ass but he can sure take anything dished out to him.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The episodes on disk 3 are awesome. I liked the flashback/character history one a lot (Out of Gas).

Ariel kicked ass because of how Mal dealt with Jayne. What was up with those "fed' guys that were killing all the Alliance guys at the hospital trying to get Rain? Freaky.

War Stories... Man Mal might not be able to kick some serious ass but he can sure take anything dished out to him.

The last episode, 'Objects in Space' blows the rest out of the water, IMO.  Although 'Out of Gas' is my second favorite in the series.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

River!!!  "Two by two, hands of blue..."

I'd be hard pressed to pick a single favorite episode.  There are some shiny moments, like after the sword fight in "Shindig."
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You mean the "two by two, hands of blue" guys?

I imagine it was a "leave not witnesses" kindof situation.

I really like how Jayne spent all that time memorizing his lines to get past the nurses station, and she just waved em' through, but he couldn't stop from spouting his spiel.  Just one of those funnies that sticks in my head.

They could've made some more adjustments to the Hind fueselage they used for the air ambulance.  It looked kindof obvious to me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Man... I just watched the trailer.... again... for like the second or tenth time (I've lost count). I think I'm looking forward to this movie more than Star Wars now.

Just finished the series. Down the road when I am back into "backing-up" everything I rent I'll have to get it burned. I suspect I'll pick up on a few things I didn't the first time around.

I'm kind of surprised that Sci-Fi Channel hasn't tried picking up this series. They've done it in the past... Did SG1 start on Sci-Fi? I know they finished out Sliders, didn't they? This is definitely a show that needs to be brought back if all the people would do it. I'm really pissed now that it's over.

I was waiting for River to start kicking ass in the show like she does in the movie trailer.

I just wish they would maybe retrofit the Srentiy with some.. any kind of defensive systems. I don't even think they have a chaffe dispenser. They need to have some guns on that bitch.

Objects in Space was a kick-ass episodes. Not sure it was the best but it certainly would have been the next step in River's awakening as a seriously cool character and asset to the crew/ship.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Down the road when I am back into "backing-up" everything I rent I'll have to get it burned.

Just go buy it; pay them for such a quality production.  It's amazingly inexpensive - $40 for the entire set.

I'm kind of surprised that Sci-Fi Channel hasn't tried picking up this series.

When Fox returned the rights to Whedon they did so with the condition that it would not be made into a series for ten years.  True story.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When Fox returned the rights to Whedon they did so with the condition that it would not be made into a series for ten years.  True story.  

I'm not netowkr lawyer but I'm sure they do that as insurance in the event of a massive cult following so that if there is ever talk of the show being brought back they will have to be paid out of that clause.

Of course I'm more than happy with them just continuing it in the movies instead. Bigger budget than a TV show means better effects and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
My friends introduced me to this show a month or so ago. I saw the pilot and was instantly hooked. After seeing the movie trailer last week I bought the box set and finished the whole series in two days. Just add this show to list of great shows that Fox gave up on (Family Guy, Futurama, Greg The Bunny) I'm surprised they haven't screwed up 24 since they have this wonderful track record of dropping anything that's worth a damn and keeping crap in its place.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just wish they would maybe retrofit the Srentiy with some.. any kind of defensive systems. I don't even think they have a chaffe dispenser. They need to have some guns on that bitch.

I always imagined the were dealing with Alliance laws on armed spacecraft.  You know, kindof like Washington DC.  The beurocrats think that if it's illegal to be armed with big bad gun then there won't be any trouble.

That and I expect antiship weaponry is mightly expensive.  Wonder how much it costs to feed a GAU-8?  That's just a plinker by comparison.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Jayne, Vera, and a clear shot through open cargo bay door...What else do ya really need?
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Jayne, Vera, and a clear shot through open cargo bay door...What else do ya really need?

Good call... although they weren't being shot at in that one... but Vera certainly proved her worth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I too bought Firefly on a blind rec from ar15.com.  Great purchase, and a lot better than 90% of the sci-fi trash that is currently spewed out of Hollywood these days.

See! I told ya so!!!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Down the road when I am back into "backing-up" everything I rent I'll have to get it burned.

Just go buy it; pay them for such a quality production.  It's amazingly inexpensive - $40 for the entire set.

When Fox returned the rights to Whedon they did so with the condition that it would not be made into a series for ten years.   True story.  

True...but that means on another network. If the movie does well we might have another "Family Guy" scenario. I remember watching the show when it ran on TV. They played the pilot 2nd....and the 2nd episode "The Train Job" 1st. Pretty much confusing to any takers. Leave it to Fox to fucks up the works.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#34]
That's what happens when you let bureaucratic network executives get their hands into things they have no comprehension of creatively or otherwise... much like the U.S. government and it's penchant for f*cking up other things that would otherwise work well if left untouched.

It would be like if people who have never touched a paint brush told DaVinci how to paint the Mona Lisa. Leave creative work to creative people, not business-people.

ETA: I think I'm ranting because I'm so depressed that I got so seriously into this show and now I'm left with nothing... until the movie comes out. This sucks...
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I remember watching the show when it ran on TV. They played the pilot 2nd....and the 2nd episode "The Train Job" 1st. Pretty much confusing to any takers. Leave it to Fox to fucks up the works.

Actually, they showed the 2hr pilot LAST!!!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

ETA: I think I'm ranting because I'm so depressed that I got so seriously into this show and now I'm left with nothing... until the movie comes out. This sucks...

Maybe this will cheer you up...have you seen the trailer?

Also, they had a Serenity screener on the 5th in 10 cities. You missed that one, me too.

Oh, there is an other screener on the 28th in 20 cities...

Oh, it sold out just as fast, couple hours. We missed out AGAIN! Do you feel better? Yeah, neither do I, but we both feel rotten now!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recall some really long discussion (almost a flame war) were some people proved that there was no reason that a convetional firearm could not be fired in space (apart from the recoil affecting the shooter reapply badly).  Kindof ruined the Vera shooting through the spacesuit scene for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe this will cheer you up...have you seen the trailer?

Also, they had a Serenity screener on the 5th in 10 cities. You missed that one, me too.

Oh, there is an other screener on the 28th in 20 cities...

Oh, it sold out just as fast, couple hours. We missed out AGAIN! Do you feel better? Yeah, neither do I, but we both feel rotten now!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

What? Another screener? How do you folks find out abt these things?
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recall some really long discussion (almost a flame war) were some people proved that there was no reason that a convetional firearm could not be fired in space (apart from the recoil affecting the shooter reapply badly).  Kindof ruined the Vera shooting through the spacesuit scene for me.

But is Vera a conventional firearm?  If she's liquid fuel fired then she may well need an atmosphere for oxygen.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

There are a few fan sites out there. Do you really want to know more than that?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
But is Vera a conventional firearm?  If she's liquid fuel fired then she may well need an atmosphere for oxygen.

Callahan full-bore auto-lock. They say in the show that it needs a case to fire in space, that is why they dressed it up in a spacesuit. Simple.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a few fan sites out there. Do you really want to know more than that?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

This one has been carrying the dates of the screenings:  www.cantstopthesignal.com

If you're really desperate to see one of the screenings, there's always eBay:  search.ebay.com/serenity-screening-ticket
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't think anybody has brought this up:

In the final episode, "Objects in Space", the doctor is being dragged to the cockpit by the Jubal Early (the bounty hunter). They pass by an inconscious Shepherd Book and the doc says, "You beat up a preacher" or something to that effect and the bounty hunter replies, "He's ain't a preacher..."

Between that and some other little hints (i.e. Episode "Safe", when Book's ID is given to the Alliance guys) here and there I suspect this would have unfolded into a major subplot for the show.

Wonder if any of this will be revealed/played out in the movie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't think anybody has brought this up:

In the final episode, "Objects in Space", the doctor is being dragged to the cockpit by the Jubal Early (the bounty hunter). They pass by an inconscious Shepherd Book and the doc says, "You beat up a preacher" or something to that effect and the bounty hunter replies, "He's ain't a preacher..."

Between that and some other little hints (i.e. Episode "Safe", when Book's ID is given to the Alliance guys) here and there I suspect this would have unfolded into a major subplot for the show.

Wonder if any of this will be revealed/played out in the movie.

There are those you mentioned plus a host of other hints. On numerous occasions he's shared information about people/place/events that an ordinary preacher wouldn't know. He knew about the pirates energy web and the tactics they employ in "Our Mrs. Reynolds", he knew how to shoot to wound implying he's a trained marksman, he used hand-to-hand on to disarm and put down the planted copper in the pilot episode, he knew the jurisdiction of the Alliance cops chasing them in "The Body" and the most telling of all was earlier in the "Objects in Space" when River was walking through the ship, she seemed to be reading peoples minds...getting their true inner thoughts. When she looked at Book he said/revealed with an evil grin:

"I don't give half a hump if you're innocent or not! So where does that put you?"

That struck me as a frame of mind an "Internal Security" type might have. I think he's a former Alliance Agent who cracked and turned to God for redemption. Thats based on the evidence we've seen so far. It's possible he's something more sinister, but that's for the movie to elaborate on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for bringing up all those... all good points of reference that I couldn't think of off the top of my head.

Quoted:
There are those you mentioned plus a host of other hints. On numerous occasions he's shared information about people/place/events that an ordinary preacher wouldn't know. He knew about the pirates energy web and the tactics they employ in "Our Mrs. Reynolds", he knew how to shoot to wound implying he's a trained marksman, he used hand-to-hand on to disarm and put down the planted copper in the pilot episode, he knew the jurisdiction of the Alliance cops chasing them in "The Body" and the most telling of all was earlier in the "Objects in Space" when River was walking through the ship, she seemed to be reading peoples minds...getting their true inner thoughts. When she looked at Book he said/revealed with an evil grin:

"I don't give half a hump if you're innocent or not! So where does that put you?"

That struck me as a frame of mind an "Internal Security" type might have. I think he's a former Alliance Agent who cracked and turned to God for redemption. Thats based on the evidence we've seen so far. It's possible he's something more sinister, but that's for the movie to elaborate on.

Link Posted: 5/10/2005 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Callahan full-bore auto-lock. They say in the show that it needs a case to fire in space, that is why they dressed it up in a spacesuit. Simple.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I think I read on IMDB that the gun tech consultant messed up on by saying that guns needed O2 to fire in space.  They don't.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I think I read on IMDB that the gun tech consultant messed up on by saying that guns needed O2 to fire in space.  They don't.

I've written it off the same way I wrote off the fact tha all the modern guns being used 500 years in the future shoot bullets but also make cool whizzing noises and futuristic firing sounds.

Perhaps they came up with some new sort of propellant that can be used in traditional cartridges... like I said... I wrote it off as just being a very minor flaw to a great series.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've written it off the same way I wrote off the fact tha all the modern guns being used 500 years in the future shoot bullets but also make cool whizzing noises and futuristic firing sounds.

Perhaps they came up with some new sort of propellant that can be used in traditional cartridges... like I said... I wrote it off as just being a very minor flaw to a great series.

Dude, it is the electronic ignition for the bullets charging up, duhhh. Not ALL the guns do that.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top