Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I work for a heavy equipment rental company...

All day long, I'm dealing with smelly, sweaty construction workers... Half of which are drunk, or smell like they just left a bar and a hoagie shop...
The other half, stink like pot smoke...

Just the kind of folks we want using heavy equipment!
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have run into that so often that if I even some someone questionable and have to cross paths or occupy a space they did formally I will hold my breath unitl the area "clears out". I figure i have about a 75% success rate in judging the potential for stink.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bet I know what he wants for his birthday.  One of those Mr Clean car wash things you put soap in and attach to the hose.

Those things really work, I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As an RN, I've been up close & personal with these non-ass washing pieces of protoplasms that stunk as bad as the French. As previously pointed out, they may be so obese as to not be able to reach and/or see the affected areas. I've had to wash these affected areas that have been taken over by yeast that has taken to living in the folds and munching out on the wet dead skin that isn't washed off for over a year. Like Richard Pryor's joke goes, "The funk rushed out and knocked me to my knees."

jesus I can only imagine I once had a  cast on for 6 months on my leg and when I finnaly was able to wash my leg I thought i was going to pass out the stench was so bad I can only imagine what over a year would be like.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
a.k.a. ====old people
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Several years ago I would run into this guy in a wheelchair at some of the local convenience stores. He had both legs amputated as the result of a car wreck. This fucker literally smelled like death. Death fucking stinks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Try running ambulance for a summer. Kinda like the guy that was the RN and was looking for the pics. UGH!!!

I can deal with the guys who work outdoors and sweat a lot. That's honest work. As long as they shower after work, I have absolutely no problem with that. What I can't deal with are the ones who do this day....after day..... after day and never shower. UGH!!!!!

Before my father-in-law died, my in-laws were like this. They would, literally, go a week without bathing. They would wash off their faces daily but the rest of them only saw soap and water weekly, if that. My father-in-law worked in a steel-mill, too. Real pleasent to be around him in the summer! My wife tells me that, when she was little, she would, literally, have to sneak baths and showers while her father was at work and her mother was outside. Yes, they made their kids live like this, too. Good thing my wife has, since I've known her, had VERY good hygeine. Myself, it's a shower every morning, at least. If I've been working outside or otherwise sweating, I shower after that, too. Stinky people SUCK!!!!!

Bub
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Try running ambulance for a summer. Kinda like the guy that was the RN and was looking for the pics. UGH!!!

I can deal with the guys who work outdoors and sweat a lot. That's honest work. As long as they shower after work, I have absolutely no problem with that. What I can't deal with are the ones who do this day....after day..... after day and never shower. UGH!!!!!

Before my father-in-law died, my in-laws were like this. They would, literally, go a week without bathing. They would wash off their faces daily but the rest of them only saw soap and water weekly, if that. My father-in-law worked in a steel-mill, too. Real pleasent to be around him in the summer! My wife tells me that, when she was little, she would, literally, have to sneak baths and showers while her father was at work and her mother was outside. Yes, they made their kids live like this, too. Good thing my wife has, since I've known her, had VERY good hygeine. Myself, it's a shower every morning, at least. If I've been working outside or otherwise sweating, I shower after that, too. Stinky people SUCK!!!!!

Bub

Can you imagine what people commenly smelled like before modern plumbing, or hygene products?
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
a.k.a. ====old people

Don't forget Haji's.  Must be the food they eat that causes a "malodorous air" about them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Korean brothel.

That's all I'm sayin'.  <shiver>
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Korean brothel.

That's all I'm sayin'.  <shiver>

Now tell us "the rest of the story" Paul Harvey style if you please.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife and my 2 kids were flying from Frankfurt Germany to Dallas a few years ago on a 777.  Lots of empty seat and Euroman had to sit by me.  Deoderant had never touched this guys pits!  It was naturally bad!  The worst came when they started the movie and eurostinkman leans back with his hands clasped behind his head spreading the stench.  That is 11 hours...we are flying against the jet stream baby!  

After an hour I swiched seats with my 2 year old
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My wife and my 2 kids were flying from Frankfurt Germany to Dallas a few years ago on a 777.  Lots of empty seat and Euroman had to sit by me.  Deoderant had never touched this guys pits!  It was naturally bad!  The worst came when they started the movie and eurostinkman leans back with his hands clasped behind his head spreading the stench.  That is 11 hours...we are flying against the jet stream baby!  

Naughty dad!
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a women that comes in every one in a while that smells like cat pee, and her car smells even worse
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We have a guy at work, hes one of the nicest guys you could meet..hes also the smelliest! like he hasnt bathed, its that BO smell. You can tell hes been in the room. I had to make delivers with him one day, and i had the window down...in the middle of the winter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We have a guy at work, hes one of the nicest guys you could meet..hes also the smelliest! like he hasnt bathed, its that BO smell. You can tell hes been in the room. I had to make delivers with him one day, and i had the window down...in the middle of the winter.

One of my housemates is like that.  Good guy, but doesn't like to bathe too much.  He's also a close talker (I prefer to conduct conversations at arms length or greater unless they're with family, close friends or close 'friends'), so we'll chat from across the kitchen and he'll move closer and I'll move away...and sometimes it ends up that we talk out in the hall, because I haven't got the heart to tell him that he's funktastic and should consider becoming closer acquainted with water.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bub

Can you imagine what people commenly smelled like before modern plumbing, or hygene products?

You don't have to imagine, just hop on a flight to 'insert your favorite European country here' in the middle of summer...

And checkout the teeth too... Do they not have dentists and orthodontists  if Europe?
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have any new smellings to report?
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm still waiting for the pics. Can't be worse that the phlem bubble pics!

As an RN, I've been up close & personal with these non-ass washing pieces of protoplasms that stunk as bad as the French. As previously pointed out, they may be so obese as to not be able to reach and/or see the affected areas.  I've had to wash these affected areas that have been taken over by yeast that has taken to living in the folds and munching out on the wet dead skin that isn't washed off for over a year.  Like Richard Pryor's joke goes, "The funk rushed out and knocked me to my knees." I've seen layers of dead skin about 3/8" thick and took 2 hours to clean a patient up so that they don't smell up the unit. Had a patient that made other patients gag two doors down. Had to wash and then go give Phenergen, wash and go give Phenergen, repeat until patient didn't smell up the unit. Had another 72 year old female patient that the doctor wrote orders on that " Nurses are to teach patient how to wipe from front to rear." since she had never wiped after urination. The 'diaper rash' was to her umbilicus{navel}.

I'll check around to see if I have pictures of some of this funque to post.

wganz
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Stinky Britches.  We all got stinky britches.

CHEF!
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah?? well this one time... a computer came into the shop... and it was like really dusty. So I had to take it outside and blow out the dust with compressed air.

And that is as close as I will get to another person's stink.

I give dirty looks to fat people, and if you stink- which i really don't run into all that often - you get dirty look plus a loud "My gawd you reek!!!"

anyone else know the 'old lady perfume smell'?? It lingers as a physical presence for up to 30 minutes after they walk through.... It's almost like a slp in the face.. jean natae or some crap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
One time , at band camp, I remember... Actually, this happened in 4th grade science class. There's this guy who had a perpetual stink about him. For some reason, the way that the seats were assigned, he is right next to me. From time to time, I would mutter, "there's a fungus among us", to which I hear, "fuck you man".  It was funny at first, but spring in Texas can suck almost as bad as the summers (i.e., 95+ in May??? wtf is that all about?). So finally at one point the teacher has had enough, and decides to play the nice card and not single anyone out, she dictates to the class that everyone is to "bathe before you go to bed tonight, and wear clean clothes tomorrow". That worked. For about a day, then resumes the status quo.

So, what would you all characterize the smell of people who don't wash, or have good hygeine? With me being the clean-freak that I am (wash before,and after rr breaks, have both handy-wipes and hand sanitizer in the car and the office).  I hate it when there are multiple factors involved with others' stench, such as stinky clothes, and  unkept appearances, and baited breathe.

Link Posted: 5/10/2005 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I can barely function if I don't bathe every morning.  I'm really meticulous about washing hands and brushing teeth too.

I have a really hard time being near a stinky person.  I love my inlaws, but my FIL's parents live in their basement apartment.  I have to hold my breath every time I pass the door to the basement because the stench is so bad.  

Do elderly people just give up on taking showers?
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Think that is bad, try vacationing in Europe in the stifling heat of summer and get on an elevator with a bunch of locals  

You would think with as much 'culture' as they have, that they could actually use a little Right Guard

ah the Ubahn in Berlin, in the summer. Such foxy ladies...that smelled so bad. When I was 21 years old I was stationed in Scotland. When you started getting serious with a lady you gave here a lady Gillette and some deodorant. It is a bummer dancing in shorts and getting your leg hairs tangled. Bwahahahahaha, John
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Bub

One of the things that plumbing fixture manufactures had to do when promoting indoor plumbing in the early 20th century was to convince people that bathing was a good thing and that they should do it more often (thereby making the convenience of indoor plumbing desirable).  Seen older comedies and cartoons about someone getting thrown in the lake or getting doused with water and making the comment "It's not Saturday night yet, is it?" or something similar?  That's because people only bathed once a week or so before the invention of modern plumbing.  It was too much trouble to pump and heat that much water on a regular basis, so they'd only go through the hassle once a week, maybe settling for a sponge bath during the rest of the week.

It was even worse in earlier times and other cultures where bathing was considered actually unhealthful.  Why do you think some European cultures wore so much powder and perfume?  It was to try and cover up the stench.

I can imagine what it would be like to transport back in time and materialize in any decent sized town or city.  You wouldn't notice the architecture, fashion or language differences first, you'd be too busy doubling over and puking your guts out from the smells of the people, garbage and raw sewage in the streets.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bub

One of the things that plumbing fixture manufactures had to do when promoting indoor plumbing in the early 20th century was to convince people that bathing was a good thing and that they should do it more often (thereby making the convenience of indoor plumbing desirable).  Seen older comedies and cartoons about someone getting thrown in the lake or getting doused with water and making the comment "It's not Saturday night yet, is it?" or something similar?  That's because people only bathed once a week or so before the invention of modern plumbing.  It was too much trouble to pump and heat that much water on a regular basis, so they'd only go through the hassle once a week, maybe settling for a sponge bath during the rest of the week.

It was even worse in earlier times and other cultures where bathing was considered actually unhealthful.  Why do you think some European cultures wore so much powder and perfume?  It was to try and cover up the stench.

I can imagine what it would be like to transport back in time and materialize in any decent sized town or city.  You wouldn't notice the architecture, fashion or language differences first, you'd be too busy doubling over and puking your guts out from the smells of the people, garbage and raw sewage in the streets.

Considering how unsanitary the conditions were, it's amazing so many survived.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
As an RN, I've been up close & personal with these non-ass washing pieces of protoplasms that stunk as bad as the French. As previously pointed out, they may be so obese as to not be able to reach and/or see the affected areas. I've had to wash these affected areas that have been taken over by yeast that has taken to living in the folds and munching out on the wet dead skin that isn't washed off for over a year. Like Richard Pryor's joke goes, "The funk rushed out and knocked me to my knees." I've seen layers of dead skin about 3/8" thick and took 2 hours to clean a patient up so that they don't smell up the unit. Had a patient that made other patients gag two doors down. Had to wash and then go give Phenergen, wash and go give Phenergen, repeat until patient didn't smell up the unit.  Had another 72 year old female patient that the doctor wrote orders on that " Nurses are to teach patient how to wipe from front to rear." since she had never wiped after urination. The 'diaper rash' was to her umbilicus{navel}.

I'll check around to see if I have pictures of some of this funque to post.

wganz

I usually have a strong gut, but that is just fuckin nasty!!!!  Ugh
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like a typical day at the wal-mart in apache junction, az!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don;t know if it's just because it's spring time or what the heck it is, but lately I have run into several offensively stinky people. None of them were dressed like they were bums or anything, they just smelled so dang funky I had to look for the nearest place i could escape to.

Anyone ealse running into this weird crap?

--------------------------------------
Yes, a sweaty, baggy pants, no shirt Perto Rican kid about 18 or 19 that worked on a construction site I was doing some wiring on. This kid smelled so bad, I and everyone else could tell he was in the building 10 apartments away....NO LIE! He had the worst fucking BO I ever smelled. Truly repulsive!!

My sense of smell is poor at best but this kid would gag a maggot. I've cleaned gut shot deer that smelled like pleasant perfume compared to this dirtbag. Someone finally left a bar of soap and a towel on his toolbox before work one morning, with a note for him to leave the site and go home and take a shower and use some deodorant before returning to work. I finished my work there before seeing the results, but I'm sure he got the hint, the filthy scumbag.

Obviously he never had any education in hygiene.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bub

I saw a thing on the History channel about ancient Rome, & the huge bathing facilities they had. Underground furnaces to heat, so the rich would probably have smelled clean, but I can't imagine how the fire tenders must have stunk!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don;t know if it's just because it's spring time or what the heck it is, but lately I have run into several offensively stinky people. None of them were dressed like they were bums or anything, they just smelled so dang funky I had to look for the nearest place i could escape to.

Oh yeah, then there is the lady in the store who bent over infront of me as I was walking by. She had on navy blue pants, & dead center of the seam of her bant is a dark brown silver dollar size brown stain. I almost puked.

You need to wash your upper lip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, then there is the lady in the store who bent over infront of me as I was walking by. She had on navy blue pants, & dead center of the seam of her bant is a dark brown silver dollar size brown stain. I almost puked.

You need to wash your upper lip.

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I saw a thing on the History channel about ancient Rome, & the huge bathing facilities they had. Underground furnaces to heat, so the rich would probably have smelled clean, but I can't imagine how the fire tenders must have stunk!

I think they mainly used those bathhouses as "Singles Bars"

Im pretty sure I dont stink, I think rule number one is if you cant smell yourself then you stink, If youve been working in dirty places or sweating and say "Man I stink" then normally your fine
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they mainly used those bathhouses as "Singles Bars"

Im pretty sure I dont stink, I think rule number one is if you cant smell yourself then you stink, If youve been working in dirty places or sweating and say "Man I stink" then normally your fine

-------------------------
I think you are way off on your rule number one. First off, most people shower or bath at least daily and use some type of deodorant. Secondly, most peoples body chemistry is pretty balanced and is not that offensive to themselves or others. Its the extremes that are offensive, people on certain meds, diets, ect.
If you say "Man I stink" then you really do stink if you are activating your own sense of smell offensively and probably haven't showered recently.

I sweat, sometimes pretty heavily, but I don't stink.....I've asked,  my doctor, my wife, co workers, close friends, people who would say so.  I shower, usually twice a day, sometimes three if I'm working outside. Some peoples sweat smells more than others from no odor ...to really bad, coupled with external bacterial action from not bathing and theres a real problem.
Ever know someone with real stinky feet?  Its body chemistry at work, many times hormonal changes, and common in teenagers. Usually a soak in vinegar and warm water solves the problem. Washing and powdering will not do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Actually, you can enjoy this exact experience in many third world countries. It's delightful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I think she was winking at you!!!

that was too funny, I know better than drink coffee as I read these responses
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#38]
There is a dude in our office that is musty rank fonky (read: stinky).  Don't think he uses deodorant.  Fortunately I only have to deal with him in limited doses.  Thinking about mailing him an anonymous bar of soap.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
All I can say is that after traveling to Eastern Europe, I don't complain as much about this anymore.

Tj

No shit.  Last time I flew to Boston, I got stuck next to some kid from europe who was travelling around the US.  As soon as he sat down, the funk hit me like a ton of bricks.  Full flight, no other seats to move to.  I had my air vent wide open to dilute the smell.  Nasty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I noticed my clothes & other items took several weaks to de-orderize once I returned from some of the 3rd world countries I visited on missions trips.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#41]
You wanna smell some real stinky BO?

How 'bout a squad of 11B's after a week long FTX in Panama during the middle of dry season!  PHEW!  Now that is some impressive BO!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You wanna smell some real stinky BO?

How 'bout a squad of 11B's after a week long FTX in Panama during the middle of dry season!  PHEW!  Now that is some impressive BO! hug.gif

he
We have a computer programer that comes to my lab to work on our computer some times.  He's not a big guy.  In fact, I'd call him pretty damn small.  He usually has pretty bad BO.  I can't figure it out.  You usually expect that out of a larger person.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I ran afoul of someone the other day. Make you cough up last Easters candy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I know all about that! I was on a 747 from Atlanta, GA to Barcelona, Spain. The plane was full and only the seat next to me was empty. Well, we  were about to leave and this smelly Haji comes on at the last second, and sits next to me for the entire flight! It smelled like he had not taken a shower for weeks, and he was one of those people who sweat all the time...

For me, hot shower w/ soap, shampoo every morning, brush teeth, deoderant. I cannot stand going 1 day without washing. Stinky bastards piss me off.

I have gotten sprayed by a skunk before! That was utter hell.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
There is a dude in our office that is musty rank fonky (read: stinky).  Don't think he uses deodorant.  Fortunately I only have to deal with him in limited doses.  Thinking about mailing him an anonymous bar of soap.  

That will be fun. Do it. He deserves it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I can never figure out what these Indian and Pakis use for deoderant.Walk into a Florida convinience store in July and have to stand in line for more than a couple minutes........

WHOA !!!

Its bad.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Regular soap doesn't work on deep phunque where there is yeast. Need to something to kill that to get that musty smell off of them. Povidone(iodine based soap){that brownish soap used for surgery scrubs} is the only thing that I know will do a real effective job. Plus getting all that dead skin that is built up in the folds will also help to get rid of the smell.  

wganz

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Sounds like Taipei way back in April 2005!  Oh, wait. . . .
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regular soap doesn't work on deep phunque where there is yeast. Need to something to kill that to get that musty smell off of them. Povidone(iodine based soap){that brownish soap used for surgery scrubs} is the only thing that I know will do a real effective job. Plus getting all that dead skin that is built up in the folds will also help to get rid of the smell.  

wganz

Again, can't they at least smell themselves? if so do they think it smells good, or do they just don't care? How does one get so funky smelling without understanding where it's coming from or how to get rid of the stench?
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I know what you mean about you see on ambulance calls. Saw a woman that couldn't reach her
ass, as a matter of fact she could barely clasp her hands together in front of herself. Had a call
to transport a guy to the hospital that was real nasty, when we rolled up to help the crew that
was already there, they were in the street puking their guts out. There was trash,and I'm not
joking abit, three to four feet deep with paths through the house that were barely passable.
There were maggots everywhere and every bit of 100 degrees in that place. We would rotate
out to get fresh air every couple of minutes, and when me and one of the other guys was out
gagging up a storm in the side yard, one of the wise-ass neighbors asks us if we would like
something to eat then laughs all the way back home. Anyway, we get this guy to the hospital
and the have a special crew come take this guy away, a crew cleans out our ambulance, and
we have to wear scrubs home so are clothes can be deconed at the hospital, NOW that stinks!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top