Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2001 1:37:07 PM EDT
I have been reading all of the posts on "which ar best" or "newbie needs help" and when the subject of brakes comes up all I hear are boos and hisses.
I have a Bushy shorty with the AK brake and I think it's the shit !!!!  after nearly 3000 rnds through it, maybe a little more than half at a range, I have had no one complain or offer dirty looks concerning muzzle blast. It doesnt seem to be any louder than other AR's I have been around. but I havn't shot it without protection either.
SOOOOO, are they really that bad ?? sure, I would prefer a flash hider but this is what I got. It does perform as advertised by bushmaster, ie. recoil and muzzle climb reduction (I know, you dont need that on a AR anyway)
So let me have it... I can take it... Did I choose my AR poorly ????
[):)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
you chose wisely
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Butkus 51,

I was just out at the range yesterday with my 20" HBAR, there was a guy a couple of stall to my left shooting a Bushy Shorty with a Brake.

I was surprised by his first shot, and thought it was a bolt gun of some sort.  Looked over, and I see and AK-74 type brake on a shorty AR.  Just thought......cool.

Anyway, I think they are louder than a 20", but that may be influenced more by barrel length than muzzle braking.  I didn't find it overly loud at all, just a little different.

By the way, shooting your AR is a lot less fun when you forget to pack the mags when you go shooting.....DOH!!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
[):)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I know that alot of you have experience with these rifles.....
lets share with the other children.
thanks
[x]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The WA Shooters were out recently and a couple of those muzzle brakes were in attendance.
I noticed the increased noise level and the concussive force more from the AR next to me than the .308's close by with nothing but a clean bbl.

I just got the V-MATCH 24 flat-top upper with no flutes or muzzle attachments and tried it out for the second time at that gathering.
I chose the std. bbl. and clean muzzle because:
the flutes are not full length---the gas block necessarily precludes that and I didn't need to save a 1/2 lb.; I wanted to clean the muzzle crown with ease.

My pre-ban Dissipator upper has the Vortex unit on the end, but, I don't know what effect it has on other shooters.
I read that wrapping wire around the groove in the forks of the Vortex keeps it from grabbing brush without interfering with its effectiveness, but I don't know what type of wire to use.  Anyone familiar with this concept?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The WA Shooters were out recently and a couple of those muzzle brakes were in attendance.
I noticed the increased noise level and the concussive force more from the AR next to me than the .308's close by with nothing but a clean bbl.

I just got the V-MATCH 24 flat-top upper with no flutes or muzzle attachments and tried it out for the second time at that gathering.
I chose the std. bbl. and clean muzzle because:
the flutes are not full length---the gas block necessarily precludes that and I didn't need to save a 1/2 lb.; I wanted to clean the muzzle crown with ease.

My pre-ban Dissipator upper has the Vortex unit on the end, but, I don't know what effect it has on other shooters.
I read that wrapping wire around the groove in the forks of the Vortex keeps it from grabbing brush without interfering with its effectiveness, but I don't know what type of wire to use.  Anyone familiar with this concept?
View Quote

Go to your local electronics store and ask for a spool of ni-chrome wire. It is VERY strong and won't rust
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top