Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2001 5:27:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Especially a chain saw.  Mine is a bow, and needs an experienced hand to control.  Never loan it to anyone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are in the mood for a good screwing then loan out your chain saw. Anyone not experienced in using one will have it in a bind and sawing dirt and nails in no time. Anyway what is wrong with being known as the prick of the family? Refuse them long enough and they will stop asking. Bottom line: No good deed goes unpunished!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]

I had a problem like that with a good friend that needed a saw, drill and a level...  knowing he had become involved in crack and being tired of his borrowing money I gave him my older saw, drill and level...  knowing it would probably get pawned and not be returned like promised in 3 days...  I was right...  

it was worth the cost of the older tools not to have to lend him another dime....,[;)]

Same thing with a piece of shit neighbor across the street... he and his wife are borrowing fools... always needing something...  his power was being turned off and needed 100 bucks till Friday...  I gave him 25 towards his needed 100... never saw the money on Friday..  But saw him buying a case of beer on Saturday. He managed to hand me 10 bucks of it when I saw him in the feed store a month later only because he felt cornered......  Guess what...   I'm glad the piece of shit didn't pay the other 15 bucks.... he doesn't ask for anything now...  lol

I wouldn't loan out my stihl chain saw on a bet...   you did the right thing......    
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Some people yes.Certian people

[red][size=6]NEVER
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably 3/4's of the tools I've loaned out I never got back.  So the standing policy now is no.  I don't care if someone comes over and uses my tools at my place but my place is where they stay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I never loan out tools or guns. Niether come back as nice as when they left.

Bootedaddy is right. If someone needs something they can do it at my place or I'll do it for them, but my stuff stays with me.

I hate borrowing tools also. If I need something I don't have it's a good excuse to buy some new stuff.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't have many tools to begin with, so I can't load what I don't have.  One birthday, my mom bout me a really nice set of Craftsman.  I would never loan those out.  Before that I was using cheap tools from the 99 cent store.  If somebody wants to borrow those, thats okay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I have a teenager.  Need I say more?

I will anyway.  He has several neighbor friends, and they are all into computers & electronics, plus motorcycles.

So I do loan them out, only a lot of the time I don't know it until I'm in the middle of fixing something.

Like that 1 1/8" socket - it's over at so & so's, who didn't have a 32mm to use on a sprocket or the forks on some bike.

That special piece of square steel needed to remove a fill plug? It's gotta be around here somewhere.  Soldering pencil? I'd better ask to check the floor in Joe's room.

[red][size=3] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I could buy an M1A Super Match and scope with the money spend on replacing tools that were loaned out and never returned.

So, I have signs all over my garage, expressing my feelings, that to even ask is enough to damage a relationship.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I loan a tool once and then I tell the borrower that the Snap-on, Cornwell, or Matco guy will be just as happy to sell one to him as he was to me. I do have some exceptions - if another guy asks if he can borrow my diesel injection timing pulse adapter I generally say OK, since that's a tool that most mechanics will never need (I bought mine to use with my diesel pickup and have yet to use it on any of the equipment I work on.) But when a guy comes up asking for a 1/2" drive anything I tell him to get lost. If you can't afford to buy your own tools, you shouldn't be a mechanic.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Standard reply:
Sure, you can borrow "X" if I can borrow your wife for the afternoon.
No takers yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The last time I loaned out something, a circular saw to my brother.  He asked about bringing it back, I told him to put it in the garage, I'd leave it open for him, I worked second shift at the time.

The following day I went out to see if he returned it.  I looked high and low and couldn't find it.  Then I noticed my canoe I had hanging from the rafters was missing.  Not only did he not return the saw he helped himself to my canoe that had expired tags (stickers) on it.  I don't care who you are you don't help yourself to my stuff without asking.  Three days later, when I found him and informed him he had a half an hour to return it or deal with the police, his excuse was he was drunk when he took it.  Must have been drunk for 3 days since he never bother to let me know he had it.  Only the fact that my sister saw him with it kept me from calling the police right away.  He did return the canoe, but I never saw the saw again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Only to people I really trust.

So far I have gotten them all back.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
NO! Loaned out a gun on two seperate occasions. The shot gun came back uncleaned and actually had mud on it! The second one a 22 came back with a broken scope hair. This was 30 years ago and have never loaned out another gun. Have loaned out a chain saw,came back with chain streached out to the max and DIRTY. Loaned out a tiller,came back dirty and with a broken belt. Neighbor said he'd be glad to pay for the belt.Of course I had to screw with it before I could use it again! Loaned out my lawn mower to the same neighbor! (I'm a glutton for punishment) He ran it into a stump and bent in the deck. Said he was sorry. I had to load it up and take it in to get fixed so I could use it when I needed it. I've loaned out axes and tools also but I have to go get them from the people when I need to use them. NOW I DON'T LOAN OUT SHIT TO ANYONE. SORRY! IT TOOK ME TOO LONG TO LEARN.......[BD]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
[b][center][red][size=6]IS SHE CRAZY![/b][/center][/red][/size=6]

NEVER lend a chain saw to anyone.

Out of several friends there is only one who I'll lend anything to.

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I have two nice roll-away toolboxes, one is full of Craftsman inch tools and the other is a Snap-On box filled with metric tools.
I let a neighbor borrow my old Craftsman roll-away, he was working on his pile of shit American junk heap in his yard.
We agreed that he could keep the box as long as he kept it locked up (under lock and key).
About a week later he came up to me and told me that the box had been stolen.
After I calmed down I asked for specifics, like if his house had been broken into, he had been mugged, what.
He looked at me and told me that he had been leaving it in his driveway under a tarp next to his car, as he didn't want to push it up over the garage door floor seal crack.
When I told him that I expected him to replace the box and tools he said "I kept it locked up, how was I supposed to know that someone would steal a big roll-away box like that".
It took me almost 6 months to collect from his homeowners insurance (he had a $1,000 deducatable). I keep a record off all the tools in my boxes, the bill on that Craftsman box came out to be under $3,200.
His homeowners insurance (State Farm) didn't want to pay off the replacement cost of the box since the tools were "used".
They changed their minds after I pointed out that Craftsman tools have a lifetime replacement guarentee.

Loan a tool? NEVER!
Come on over to my house and I'll help you out.

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Was a motorcycle mech along with getting into appliance repair, and electronics, so along with tons of tools, also have expensive test equipment. I don't lend out tools except to other mechanics as I've always received them back in the condition they left.
Seen too many others not get their stuff back to make me want to lose anything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I never loan anything out,You rarely get anything back in the same condition that it was in when you loaned it out, I will not loan a tool to my own brother!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I am an engineering/mechanical contractor and I have more tools than most small tool stores.
Years ago I started painting my tools bright orange.
This sounds "cheesey" I know, but it has saved me a small fortune.
Family and those who consider themselves family are (were) the worst offenders.
I even have a dip shit of a neighbor (this asshole has even borrowed flag stone from my wife while I was out of town)who asked if I can teach him to ride my Harley so he could start useing it.
Sometimes it's better to loan out (give away) an old tool just so they don't get a chance to hit you harder.
People seem to have a short memory when it comes to returning something that they didn't earn or pay for (something that they think they can get for free).
People who don't return things piss me off.
I consider it a lack of respect.
Mechanical (leave my fucking tools alone) Andy
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Happiness is a mooch with no hands!(and/or gutshot!)

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#29]
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

[b]NO[/b].  I don't ever loan or borrow any tools or related items.  (Not counting rental from rental businesses when necessary.)

Stick to your guns.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
"No way, man!  My hair is who I am!"  -Homer Simpson about to get a haircut.   [>(]

Sorry, just had to get that out of the way.  Been going through my head all day after seeing that particular episode!  

Back to the topic at hand.  Loan my tools out?  [size=4][red]Heck! No way!![/red][/size=4]

I don't tell anybody about my tools.  I have a double-decker tool chest on wheels filled up with quality Craftman tools in each of the draws.  I always go the extra step on keeping all my tools hidden.  Remember that adage, "out of sight, out of mind!" holds true at least in my life.  It is so easy to lose a friend due to a tool not retuned or money not paid back!  

If I even loan any tools out, they would be from a small K-mart special tool kit I had gotten for Christmas one year.  I would give a tool out to the most hardcore nagger from that set and no other.  

Gotta go.  Want to finish up the rest of the baby back ribs I cooked on the BBQ earlier today!   [:P]

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
 [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Tools, Guns, Cameras, no.  Problem is that I always have considered myself willing to help anyone out and what I think has happened as I've gotten older is that I sort of like having everything clean, in order, and ready in case I need to use it.  I was a little surprised when I realized that but oh well... But I have almost everything important backed up and I do lend out my back-ups.

The other thing is that I would never borrow tools because if I need it I get it, but also there's so much stress because I'd feel bad if I broke something (and stuff happens) and then I'd have to buy one to replace it and I still don't have that new one for myself.  It just makes no sense.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I could of used this post last weekend! Made the mistake of loaning out my 92 chevy truck to some friends so they could move. Guy calls me to tell me the truck seems to be smoking. Mention that this truck burns no oil and he must be mistaken or on drugs, then tells me that perhaps he left the parking brake on! So how far did you drive this truck w/ the brake on? Oh from one side of town to the other, probably about 15 miles or so. Somebitch! Get in the truck to drive it home, start truck, brake light on, release e-brake, oh already off, so what do we have here? Pop hood, hmmm, no fluid in one of the reservoirs, somebitch, drive home, houston we have a problem. Get home, get flashlight, get on my creaky old knees, somebitch, blown wheel cylinder bigger than shit. Guess who was working on his truck till midnight the day before his birthday?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top