Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 10:20:12 PM EDT
Ok, we did "Starship Troopers". Who has read TMiaHM? I'll agree it starts slow and reveals RH's love of complex marriges, but I think the descriptions of Mike throwing rocks at the Earth more than makes up for that. I believe it is a "perfect" rebelion novel. Never give the bastards an inch.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
ahluvitahluvitahluvit!!! one of my favorite from the mind of the great RAH!  I think I'll go read it again tonight, thanks!
-bill
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
AWESOME read.
Was probably responsible for “corrupting” more kids of my generation into libertarians than any other book.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Mike was cool.
It did make me question marriage.

It was cool however and great politics again;
"If one third of congress votes against a law, the law will be repealed."

We would all have FA's with that goverment.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have read, and own, ALL of RAH's novels, even the juves.  This is one of my favorites.  when I was in undergrad for criminal justice, we had an excellent class PAD 375 Terrorism/Counterterrorism, and this was one the prof's reading list, because of Mike's superior cell system, and the subversive nature of it.  When our 8-10 page paper was done, I wrote about RAH, The Sixth Column & TMiaHM.

I am glad to see other RAH fans here.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
TMIAHM and Blackhawk Down are probably tied for the most intense bookreading experiences I've ever had.

What are the other "must-read" Heinlein novels?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
1) Farnham's Freehold
2) Stranger in a Strange Land
3) Friday
4) Red planet
5) aw, hell, all of them!

I really like ALL of the old fascist's writing.  He was a true patriot.  Anything you read by him is great, although after 1964 (when his mother died, and he had brain surgery), some of his ideas are kinda el fucko, like some of his main characters being tri-sexual, looking like they will try anything.

If you can get by his el fucko ideas, you will see that he was one of the greatest men to put pen to paper.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
[u]The Moon is a Harsh Mistress[/u] is my hands-down #1 favorite R.A.H. novel.  I've literally worn the cover off three copies.  #2 is [u]Starship Troopers[/u] followed by (in no particular order) [u]Stranger in a Strange Land[/u], [u]Time Enough for Love[/u], and [u]The Past Through Tomorrow - A Future History[/u].  I am especially fond of the quotations of Lazarus Long.

Heinlien is 1/3 responsible for my philosophy of life.  He's almost exclusively responsible for my political outlook.  John D. MacDonald (the Travis McGee books) and Robert B. Parker (Spenser) are the other two culprits.

Oh, and I never minded his outlook on sexuality.  I always thought he was just ahead of the general curve on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top