Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 7:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2001 7:44:23 PM EDT by Muad_Dib]
Here is a letter I'm preparing to send out to the president of Brand X bicycles. Needless to say, I'm fairly pissed. Please read my letter and tell me what you think. All the names have been changed, etc, etc... June 29, 2001 To Whom It May Concern: I am a new Brand X customer and have been treated with the worst customer service that I have ever experienced in my life. I am appalled. On Saturday May 12 2001, my wife and I purchased two new Brand X Navigator bicycles and several accessories, including helmets and a Saris auto trunk rack. We thoroughly researched everything prior to our purchase and decided on Brand X for only one reason, customer service. When we initially went into the Brand X store at 1234 President Rd. Anywhere, USA we were pleasantly greeted by a salesman named John. John was extremely helpful and a pleasure to talk with. My wife and I left the store with a very good feeling about Brand X bicycles and the level of customer service that we would receive. After comparison-shopping around town, (there are 46 bicycle listings in the Yellow Pages) we noticed that the other Brand X dealers had slightly lower prices on the bicycles and much lower prices on the accessories. However, the level of service we received was much less than that from the Brand X employees we had dealt with up to this point. We returned to the Brand X store and when John offered to match the competitors pricing on the Saris auto rack, we purchased $925.91 worth of bicycles and accessories without any hesitation. John informed us that we needed an adaptor to properly fit my wife’s bicycle onto the Saris Bones trunk rack. He told us that they did not have any in stock but that he would order one for us and call when it came in. Approximately two weeks later, I received a telephone call informing me that the adaptor had come in and that I could pick it up at any time. I was at home that afternoon and decided to ride the four blocks on my new bicycle to pick up the part. When I walked into the store with my bicycle, I was greeted by John and we began talking about ordering another part for my bicycle. As we were speaking, a man whom I had never seen walked up to me with a flyer in his hand. As I took the flyer from him, he said the following quite loudly and with a hostile voice: “I saw you run that stoplight. It’s guys like you who make it Bobgerous for everybody on the street! In this country, we all have to obey the law and guys like you who think they are rebels and above the law give our bicycles a bad name!” Having never seen this man before in my life, and without knowing who he was I had no idea of what his intentions were nor what was happening. For a brief moment, I thought that he was going to physically assault me. My response was less than eloquent, but in the split second I had to react, and without thinking, I replied, “Well buddy, I am a rebel, and I do think I’m above the law. So you can take these fliers and shove them right up your ass.” At which point I attempted to hand his flyers back to him. When he wouldn’t take them, I let them drop to the floor. This man then said something else insulting, which I cannot remember and immediately turned to John, who I had been speaking with and told him not to help me. Furthermore, he turned to me again and said in a very hostile voice, “Brand X does not do business with lawbreakers! You’re not welcome here! We don’t need the business of
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2001 7:43:29 PM EDT by Muad_Dib]
people like him. Throw him out of the store.” And then to me he said, “You’ll have to leave.” It was only at that point when I realized the hostile man was wearing what appeared to be a Brand X employee shirt and blue jeans. I turned to John and said, “Well, in that case, I’d like to return my bicycle, and helmet and everything else I bought two weeks ago. I’ll walk home and get the other bike that I bought and I’ll be returning that one also.” The hostile man walked away and into the bicycle check up area. John was very apologetic. I was flabbergasted and thoroughly insulted. I demanded a refund immediately, but John managed to talk me out of returning the bicycles. When I then asked who the other man was, John informed me that he was the MANAGER OF THE STORE! I cannot tell you how shocked and disgusted I was at this. John proceeded to apologize yet again and told me that I was not the first person that the manager had done this to! I asked John for a corporate telephone number so that I could file a complaint against his manager. The number he gave me is 1-123-123-1234. As I was talking with John, the man returned to where we were standing. I very calmly asked him his name. He replied “Joe Smith spelled S.M.I.T.H Better yet, I’ll get you my card.” I said “Thank you, I’d appreciate it.” He returned a moment later with his business card and told me not to get his name wrong and walked away. I finished with John without ordering the part that I needed and returned home to immediately call the number that I was given. When I called the telephone number I explained that I had a complaint to make against the manager of the Anywhere USA store. I was routed to a gentleman named Bob Johnson at extension 2253 to whom I told this entire incident. I explained to him that I felt that Mr. Smith had taken it upon himself to police my actions because I was a Brand X customer. Mr. Johnson was also very shocked and apologetic. Saying that he had never heard of such a situation in a Brand X store, he guaranteed that the situation would be settled to my satisfaction. He also said that the way Mr. Smith had acted was beyond the realm of Brand X customer service. Mr. Johnson said that he would research the situation and return my call. When Mr. Johnson returned my phone call, he said that I should expect a certificate of some kind enclosed in a written letter of apology from Mr. Smith. At that time, I explained to Mr. Johnson that I was fully prepared to return our bicycles if the apology I received was not satisfactory. He explained to me that I could receive a full refund if I liked, but that the apology would be courteous and respectful. It has now been over four weeks since I was first told this and I have yet to receive any statement at all from Brand X. I have spoken with Mr. Johnson several times since then, wondering if I would ever receive an apology. Two weeks ago, he told me that Mr. Smith admitted to not sending the letter, but that I would receive it within three days. At that
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:36:54 PM EDT
time, I told Mr. Johnson that I felt as though Mr. Smith was waiting until after the 30 day return period had expired so that I would not be able to return my bicycles for a full refund. Mr. Johnson again told me that I was free to return my bicycles and all accessories for a full refund at any time, but that I would not need to-- the apology would come. It has yet to arrive. At this point, my wife and I have been waiting to see what would come of the situation before we take any further action. Just yesterday, my wife asked me if there was any way we could take the name Brand X off of our bicycles and helmets. So far, we are completely satisfied with the bicycles but I am so disgusted with the service I received that we have not taken our bikes in for the first free tune-up, nor do I feel like ever stepping foot in Mr. Smith’s store again. I feel that it is an invasion of my personal freedom for Mr. Smith, as a representative of your company, to even suggest that I am a “lawbreaker” and thus not a welcome customer at Brand X. I pay taxes to finance the local government and its enforcers, the police. The police and local government are financed by the people to insure that the laws are obeyed. Enforcement of the law is beyond the realm of Brand X control. I purchased Brand X bicycles because I thought I would receive excellent customer service, not because I wanted to finance the wages of your armchair commando manager. Yet, it would appear that I am doing exactly that. If Brand X refuses service to everyone who runs a stop light or fails to signal, I assure you that your company would not exist. That being said, I did not run a stoplight. I have no idea how you will handle this situation. I do not expect a personal apology from Mr. Smith any longer. I suspect that he is not the kind of individual who would admit when he is wrong and stand up like an honorable man. I consider him a very poor choice for a manager and cannot fathom how he obtained the position in the first place. His attitude as a store manager is a direct reflection on the attitude of the company as a whole. This is an image I did not think Brand X would portray to its customers. Sincerely, Muad’Dib Contact information
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:37:16 PM EDT
[?] [?] [?]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:37:59 PM EDT
Sorry about the length. If you managed to get through it all I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2001 8:00:10 PM EDT by BusMaster007]
Passionate stories don't get responses on this Forum. Write a letter to the President...[url]president@whitehouse.gov[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:55:01 PM EDT
btt Come on guys, 44 reads and only two pseudo responses? I know you can do better than that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:00:08 PM EDT
Send the damn letter. It is fine. You said there were othe Brand-x stores there, get your tune ups there. Better yet, make brand-x take the shit back & buy them again from another brand-x store. This way you have new stuff again & brand-x has some used stuff thae have to sell at a loss. F-ck them over & get the certificate. Send your letter to every swinging dick in the company. Use names & titles. You will get what you want in the end & some heads wil prolly roll to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:11:08 PM EDT
Send a copy of the letter to your local BBB, better yet, go and fill out a complaint. Your letter is long but it is specific. Drop the "I pay taxes... I'm not a lawbreaker...job for police" stuff. Just say he accused you of running the light/stop sign. If you have some time to spare print up extra copies and stand on the sidewalk outside the store and hand them out. Deal with the manufacturer and get them to let you take your bikes to another store. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:18:51 PM EDT
Yep. You've been dinged instead of being treated as a valuable customer. Trim the letter and send it; inform the BBB and get satisfaction. Sorry you had to waste all the time and effort, but, it will be worth it in the end to persevere and prevail. Go get 'em.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:32:07 PM EDT
Muad_Dib, I would send the letter. I manage a retail store and learned a long time ago about a-holes like this one. I sometimes have to deal with customers like yourself that other managers within my company have pissed off. I learned to capitalize on their mistakes. I gained more customers in one year from another manager than I could have gained in a million dollar ad campaign. The most loyal customers in the world are ones that you have saved from people like the manager you met. I have no understanding of why these people act this way. Customers are the only reason I am in business and I am damn sure not going to piss one off unless [b]absolutely[/b] necessary. In your case, I can't say your one letter will do much but do it anyway. I have found that the only way to get results is to inconvenience his boss. Once he gets tired of cleaning up after this guy he will be gone. Good luck. Aggie1
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:39:01 AM EDT
You are a Lawbreaker. Deal with it. The rules of the road apply to you as well as the Automobiles that share the road with you. If you had been ran over while running that Red Light you would be here complaining about that too ! Rude aggressive Bicyclists give all bicyclists a Bad reputation. Hang your Head in shame.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:24:59 AM EDT
Trim the letter and send it in. Report to the BBB only if this letter does not resolve the situation. If you go into the store to return the bikes, be sure to wear a tape recorder as I am quite sure that the manager will not keep his mouth shut. Make a copy of the tape and send it to the company, along with the line of "expect to hear from my lawyer soon". I know a guy that had to do that to an auto dealership about 12 years ago. He made a butt load of money early in his life and wanted a sports car. Shopped around, picked out his Brand X and tried to buy the car. The salesman was rude from the get go and this guy just happened to have a micro recorder on him and he turned it on. The salesman went on the tell him that he was nothing more than a punk, that the car was way too powerful for him, etc (it was pretty bad, salesman from hell). It turned out to be a nice little lawsuit that financed a different car from a different dealer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:09:22 AM EDT
Muad_Dib, Your long winded letter only served to bore the hell out of me. The bike is fine but you have a problem with the manager. Do business with another Brand X dealership and get on with your life. Surely you must have bigger problems to deal with than this?
Top Top