Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 6:55:02 PM EDT
I am posting this in general discussion for two reasons:  A) It has nothing to do with AR-15s B) MANY MORE people read this section.

I am wanting to build a .308 on a Remington 700 receiver/bolt/short action.  However, I don't want to buy the stock or barrel.  Does anyone know the best (and/or cheapest) place to buy these receivers/actions new?  What is a fair price for this new?

It just boggles my mind that Mausers are widely available just about anywhere...but Remington 700's are rarely seen in this configuration (that is to say, just the receiver/action).

Thanks in advance, as I am SURE a number of you will give me good leads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Tailgate, I am curious, as to your choice of receivers are you set on a 700 Rem and if so why?
Have a nice day,  Rabon...
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Chester's in the peoples Republik of New York(631)696-3800 Sorry, I only have his phone#
Stainless Action BDL
    Long $500.00
    Short$520.00
Standard Blue BDL
    Long $385.00
    Short$385.00
Brownell's doesn't sell the action W/O the barrel. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Rem 700 is the best action to use for a custom rifle there is. Forget trying to get just an action. Forget new. Buy a used rifle at a gunshow, trader paper etc... You are going to build a custom rifle anyway, so the rest of the stuff is extra. Sell the stock & take-off barrel for $50. there might be base & rings on it allready. Use them or sell them. I have paid as little as $175 for a 700 with a scope last week. The scope & bases are junk to me, but someone will give around $35 for them. The stock will bring $20. & the barrel with Iron sights will get $50 or more. That means I'll have $70 in the action? Your mileage will vary, but you get the point. I passed up a stainless 7mm mag with a good scope for $350. Scope was worth $100 or so. You get the idea. Long story short, just buy the rifle for the action only, you will have to have it refinished to match up with the barrel anyway(paint,blue,park etc...)
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
GUN FAN:  Does it matter what caliber I buy the Remington 700 BDL in?  In other words, can I buy a .30-06 or a .270 complete rifle at a gun show and then use that receiver/bolt/trigger group for a .308?  That would definitely be the way to go.

Rabon:  I picked Remington 700 because that is one of the most common actions used in the U.S. (whether it's actually on a Remington or another brand of rifle).  However, I have considered a Mauser set-up too.  I just think the Remington has more going for it (as in, the US Military uses Remington actions on all of it's sniper rifles...there's got to be a good reason for that, especially if the Marine Snipers still use it after all these years and iterations of their rifles).
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Rem 700 is the most versatile but a Dakota action would be cool
GG
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Chester's ... they sell 40X's as well ...no web site but phone number in the above post
see Phoenix5
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Tailgate, You can use either standard or long actions in the 700 Rem action to build a .308 Win. The only reason I can think of for using the long action would be, converting to a 300 Mag at a later time which would require opening the boltface, feedrails and rechambering(the Army's M24 SWS is built on the long action for this reason)If you go this way(which I don't recommend)you will need a long action with the .473 boltface 25-06, 30-06, 270Win, 35Whelen etc. If you use the short action(which I would recommend) It will have the .473 boltface 243Win, 7mm-08, 308Win., .358Win, 22-250 etc. If you plan on getting rid of the aluminum and putting on new bottommetal it really doesn,t matter if you start with an ADL or a BDL. Moving on to the Mauser,s I had a 300Win Mag rifle built on a Mark 10 it is my favorite rifle I used a McMillan stock and a Douglas Airguaged barrel I shoot .5 M.O.A at 300 yards with it and I,m sure it shoots much better but I wouldn't do it again for two reasons the trigger is a pain in the ass and you are somewhat limited as to stocks inletted for Mauser's. I think you save youself a lot of trouble by starting with a Rem or Win receiver when you build.
Hope this helps,   Rabon...
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know if its an issue to you or not, but the newer 700's have a built in child safety lock.  This is a gizmo on the left side of the bolt sleeve which, when activated using a key, prevents the bolt from closing.

This might be something you specifically want or don't want.  Right now there seem to be a lot of new 700's on the shelves both with and without this feature.

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Rabon is right on. I would use the Short action also. The 700 is the way to go over the mauser as you will spend a bunch of money getting the bolt turned, drilled & tapped, new trigger etc..... The Remington is allready done. The trigger is tuneable to a very fine pull. Unless you are gonna benchrest shoot or something the stock trigger is great. Rabon & I have a lot in common. I too have a 98 mauser in 300 WM Douglas air gauged etc... Fantastic rifle, but I wouldn't do it again either. The Rem has a faster locktime as well. Mcmillan is the best stock out there, but look at the High Tech sold in the brownells catalog. That is a great one for the money... Oh yeah, look for an older action. Anything earlier than the "E" prefix is great. The "E" is ok too. The new ones probably suck as the child safety probably has done something to it.
Good luck, sound like you have a resource in Rabon & myself. E-mail with questions.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If you use the short action you have the option of the 300WSM latter on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
If you use the short action you have the option of the 300WSM latter on.
View Quote

True, but only after the changes mentioned by Rabon above.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Now how did y'all know I was looking at McMillan stocks?!?!?  He he...I guess it's too obvious.  Actually, I am looking at both the McMillan and HS Precisions, but boy are they expensive.  I am leaning towards the McMillan A4 as the "ideal" stock (which by the way, does NOT have to be bedded for barrel fit!!! WOW).

Haven't decided on barrel make yet, but most likely a 24 incher (22 inch would be nice, but a little to much flash).

Just in the research phase for now, so that I can keep my eyes open for good deals...especially at gun shows.  I'll just buy a 700 BDL regardless of caliber next "good deal" I find.  Plus, the slower I acquire these goodies, the less guff I'll get from the wife for spending so much money on my toys (I have to admit, I spend much more on myself than she does on herself...she's a keeper).
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
BTT...anyone else have any suggestions worth mentioning?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to benchrest.com. In the vendor area is an
outfit called Mike's Shooters Supply. He seems to have the best prices.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
here's a link to some really sweet stocks...

http://www.reamerrentals.com/elk_ridge.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top