Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 6:48:31 PM EDT
anybody read Army Times?
anyways, got out about 1 1/2 yrs ago, still read it from time to time...

so the marine corp is changin from the old woodland camo to this new digi camo (i say that because it looks downright computer generated...like a bunch of pixels randomly spaced about in different colors)

personally i like them, looks like they will work better than the old woodland and desert ones...granted they do look dumber than hell up close.

OH!  and the pockets are arranged in a much easier to use mannor.  and for those who care, they are ready to wear out of the dryer.

boots have changed too...no more polishing in the marine corp - HA!  RIGHT!  rough side out and brown.

all very neat

Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
wow thats really wierd that they are changing.  do you remember when someone on this sight did a little experiment on utilities and found the woodland to be poor and the desert the worst of all?  it was interesting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This thread explains the new cammies, the 2nd page explains how the specific pattern was chosen
[url] http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=32418&page=1[/url]
[url] http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html? id=32418&page=2[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody have a picture of the new camo?  Or does anybody know a link to where we can see it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to

[url]http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/utility/NewUtesHome.htm[/url]

There are examples of both woodlands and deserts
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
"boots have changed too...no more polishing in the marine corp - HA! RIGHT! rough side out and brown."

Any online pics of the boots?

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey STLRN, thanks much!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Hella cool new uniforms I think.

I'm in the Air Force headed to Kuwait and we were issued those boots that they show there. All they are is steel toed desert Belleville boots, the same that the AF and Marines have been using for a couple of years now. I feel sorry for the recruit that doesn't have the opportunity to break in those boots before a march though. The steel shank in the toe will literally eat through the top of your foot if it isn't shaped just right.

Anyone know where to get the new gaitors that they're wearing??
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Although issue boots today have a plastic cap in the toe, that can be annoying.  I'm not sure which boots your issued, but only a few Marines, mostly logistics and maintenance types, get issued steel toe boots.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Although issue boots today have a plastic cap in the toe, that can be annoying.  I'm not sure which boots your issued, but only a few Marines, mostly logistics and maintenance types, get issued steel toe boots.  
View Quote

If you ever have to do time in the desert, you'll get the steel toed Bellevilles. They are mandatory issue for over there. Theater commander's orders we were told. The only exemption we were given is for the fighter pilots who wear the old desert style.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, since most of the AF revolves around the maintenance and logistics of getting planes into the air I can understand why you might be required to wear them.  I'm pretty sure the CINC for SWA doesn't require steel toe boots for everyone since the standard issue desert boot, for army and Marines, doesn't have a steel toe.  It has the previous mentioned plastic boxed toe.
The last time I was in SWA was over a decade ago, and we were in our jungles and speed laces. The only ones who got the desert boots were the Army and most of the REMFs.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]
That is one wide ass granny-workin-in-the-yard lookin cover. I gotta get one for the desert here, I hate when my ears get sunburned!
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The extreme wide brim on the boonie cover has been changed to the standard sized.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#13]
If you ever have to do time in the desert, you'll get the steel toed Bellevilles.
View Quote

Before and during the war I wore Matterhorns.  Never was issued boots.  On my next tour ('94-'95) I was issued the brown jungle boots.  Wore them one day and went back to my Danners.  I'm a little particular about what I put on my feet.

I see they have returned to slash pockets on the jacket.  Sometimes I think the military changes things just for the sake of change (or to provide fodder for officer efficiency reports).

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, since most of the AF revolves around the maintenance and logistics of getting planes into the air I can understand why you might be required to wear them.  I'm pretty sure the CINC for SWA doesn't require steel toe boots for everyone since the standard issue desert boot, for army and Marines, doesn't have a steel toe.  It has the previous mentioned plastic boxed toe.
The last time I was in SWA was over a decade ago, and we were in our jungles and speed laces. The only ones who got the desert boots were the Army and most of the REMFs.  
View Quote

Actually STLRN, the theater commander right now I understand IS a Marine. That's where the AF got it's orders from. The field Marines are the ones the most disgruntled about the order because of the discomfort on the new boots. Us REMF's can at least get a new damn pair from a supply depot.

When I was in SWA in '98, we would go get the Army guys whatever they wanted from supply for boots and equipment. They weren't allowed to even go to our supply in Kuwait for some reason so we'd "help them out". There was a supply guy seperating from the AF and would let you turn in anything for exchange. The poor Army grunts were outer perimeter security for our asses and so we made sure they were at least supplied.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, things like what boots the troops wear are not set at the CINC level, four stars have better things to do with their time.  Normally base or unit commanders set that.  What you are issue is not the standard issue for ground combat types but rather logistics and maintenance types.  My issue deserts don't have steel toes, they have a plastic cap in the toe. If you are in the AF you are working with Air Wing Marines, the wing is a totally different world from the rest of the FMF.  And they normally get steel toe boots, since they are more logistic and maintenance oriented than members of the GCE.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top