Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 3:27:10 PM EDT
Last night on my way home from work something shitty happened.  

It was about 11:00PM so it was dark and was raining very hard.  I was going about 35-40mph when all of sudden I see something black run out to the street from the side.  I hit my brakes but it was only about 6 feet in front of my car so I hit it pretty hard and made a thud sound.  I got out of the car and went to back with a flash light to see what it was.  Well, it was a dog.  A medium size black mutt all wet and bleeding from his mouth and his front legs just twitching.  His rear hip and legs went under my wheels and was flattened.  I felt so bad not just because I had hit a dog but he was still alive and suffering.  His chest was moving up and down but he didn't move.  I knew the dog would soon die but I couldn't let it suffer like that any longer so I took my pistol from the holster and shot the dog in the back of the head.  It twitched for a second then stopped.  I took a blanket and a shovel from my trunk and wrap the dog in the blanket and burried it next to the road.    

When I got back home I went to  my 3 dogs and gave each one a big hug.  All last night I kept seeing that image of dying dog in my mind and couldn't sleep. I'm still seeing it today.  

This morning I drove the long way in to work so I wouldn't have to drive in that road.

Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No ID of any kind. From the general condition of the dog, it looked like the dog has been living "out" for a while.  Also, there are no houses in that area.    
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yobo,

i feel for you man. Every time i hear about something like this, i always look at my dog and thank God it wasn't her. I hate seeing people just dump their animals or not care for them like this.

chiz45
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#5]
yobo,
As hard as it is to do, you did the right thing. I have seven dogs. I go to great legnths to protect them. I saw a dog hit about twelve years ago, I still can see it clearly. Obviously you have a great love for dogs, as do I. I think you will have a greater appreciation for your own dogs after going through this. Hang in there bro.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Well at least it wasn't a black person like I thought while reading your story
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to belittle your encounter, my wifes uncle was going down the street in a dump truck(daylight) when 3 little kids stepped off the curb into his path...well you can imagine the rest.
View Quote

You mean that he didn't do the whole "blanket and shovel" thing?  

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#8]
You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well at least it wasn't a black person like I thought while reading your story
View Quote

I'd DEFINITELY get out the 'ol shovel and blanket if it was a black person.   I definitely don't need Al Sharpton picketing outside my plantation.   [rolleyes]  
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry about that, you did what you could. I live in Atlanta and travel on I285 a lot. Its a big beltway that goes around the city and is usually 5 lanes wide with a lot of crazy drivers in this town. Twice I saw a dog walking on the side of road and stopped to try and get the dogs. I know I was not the only person to see the dogs and no one else stopped to help. Even a policeman stopped to ask what I was doing. I told him and he just said okay and left. Luckly both areas had a wooded area near road and dogs just headed into the woods. I could not have lived with myself if I did not try to help.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I was on my way home this past thanksgiving, and I spotted a small dog in the median of the interstate, so I cut through, and turned around to check on it.  Turns out to be a small malnourished full blooded chocolate lab pup, with no tags.  Anyway, he is sitting right here at my feet while I type this, and Is the best dog I have ever owned. Listens well, will not run off, and goes and fetches the retrieving dummies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry man,  you did what you had to.  Nothing deserves to suffer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, you did the right thing.
At least he did not have to suffer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone, and I mean anyone who doesn't like dogs and isn't deeply affected by a dog that's suffering, [b]is no friend of mine.[/b]
Hang in there buddy, you did the what was necessary.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Right Action is usually difficult. The only comfort is that it is Right Action.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yobo you have the balls to do what is right even if hurts you, not many people can say that.

You have done the best, and you should sleep well knowing that it was you who hit the dog and not someone who would have let him suffer.

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Our dog got off the leash and got hit by a taxi, but luckily she wasnt hurt, just dazed.  At least now she doesnt chase cars.  It was good that you ended that dogs misery.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Same thing happened to me once, only the dog was lucky.
The dog came running from the side of the road and my girlfriend shreiked "STOP!" just as I caught a glimpse of it in front of the car.  We were going perhaps 25-30 mph and I stopped as soon as I could, but, knew there had been contact.
We got out of the car and the dog took off running the same direction he had come from!
My girl was Freakin' and I had the adrenaline rush goin' on big time.
Tough Dog!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Yobo,
I have to tell my story,

3 years ago, as I was heading to work, I stopped in my driveway to let the township siclebar mower go by, I pulled out and headed down the road.

About a mile away I see a tiny kitten in the middle of the road writhing in pain in a pool of blood. It had been hit by the mower.

Having a soft spot for animals, and hating to see anything suffer, I stopped and pulled out my 45 to put it out of its misery.

As soon as I opened the door, the kitten takes off with incredible speed into the brush.

Now feeling obligated for keeping this animal from suffering, I called my wife with my cell phone to have her call work to tell them I will be late & to have her come down to help me since I just decided that if this kitten has enough balls to run away on 3 STUMPS, it might be worth saving.

After low crawling through brush thick enough to strip the fur off a rabbit, I catch her and get her out to the road at the same time as my wife arrives.

We drive to the vets, get caught in a traffic jam, and finally arrive and the vet clicks his tongue, shakes his head and sez, even if I save her, she may be more or less crippled, we say try anyhow.

Two days later, we pick her up, a tiny kitten (3 weeks old)with 3 huge casts on her legs and us in for feedings with milk and hand carry her to the litterbox since she can't walk with the casts on every few hours.

Now 3 years later, she has NO IDEA that she is handicapped (except when she tries to scratch her ear and routinely misses by 2 inches :-) )and races around the house tormenting the others.

This is a succes story, so is yours.
Too many others would have kept on going without the common decency to even check on the welfare of the animal, let alone shorten the suffering.

It's sad, but you did the right thing.

Ed

P.S. We named the cat "Peg"  :-)
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
As in "peg leg"

:-)

Ed

P.S. the only drawback to getting her that young and minus 3 feet, is she sometimes expects you to carry her where she wants to go.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
yobo, sorry to here about your incedent, that had to really suck. Your in Broward co. right? were did this happen?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#23]
saw a turtle on the road on the way home the other day-had to swerve to miss it...kept going, but turned aroud a couple of miles down the road to go help it along...when I got back, the this was pancaked.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank you all for your kind words.  The incident still bothers me and I still have not gone back to that road.  I finally told my wife about the incident yesterday and she basically said the same thing... I did the right thing.

SKSseven:  It happened on the Miramar Parkway halfway between Red Road and Flamingo.  I burried the dog on the North side by a (corn?) field.  I work in N.Miami and live in P.Pines (Silver Lake) so I usually take the Turnpike Extension but now I take Palmetto and I-75. With all the construction going on in this area I'm seeing a lot of animals out in the street.  In last 6 months or so I've seem over 8 foxes dead on the road.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top