Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2001 11:27:16 AM EDT
No mention of what or how much you win...$$$$$$
I can't see myself doing this show.
It's in France.

Hey they even talk in the last paragraph of their forefathers and their freedom.
------------------------------------

BBC Seeking 'War' Volunteers

LONDON (AP) -- The British Broadcasting Corp. is looking for volunteers to recreate life in the trenches during World War I as part of a documentary television program.

The participants -- still to be selected -- must be young men willing to brave sleep deprivation, food rations, rats and waist-deep mud as an earlier generation of Britons did on the Western Front in 1916.

''We will work from diaries and records to piece together exactly how it was,'' David Colthurst, the program's executive producer, was quoted as saying in The Sunday Telegraph newspaper. ''Nothing will be made up.''

The BBC would not say whether the show, entitled ''The Trench,'' will be a contest with a prize at the end. But the network said it considers the show a documentary rather than a successor to game shows such as ''Big Brother'' and ''Survivor.''

The show will be filmed at a secret location in France and broadcast sometime next year.

While the BBC said the goal is to make the program as authentic as possible, it is restricted by modern health and safety guidelines. So rotting corpses, dysentery and gasoline-contaminated drinking water will probably be absent.

''They can give people an impression of what it was like, they can churn up the mud, but they would never be able to recreate the smells ... They can never ever create that constant fear, the dread and the loathing,'' said Martin Hornby, a member of the Western Front Association, a historical society.

Some 6 million British and Irish soldiers served in World War I, and roughly 745,000 died. On one day alone -- the Battle of the Somme in northern France in July 1916 -- some 20,000 soldiers died and another 40,000 were injured.

Hornby said conditions in the trenches were so horrific that soldiers only spent six to 10 days in the front line at any one time before being moved back to support trenches.

''They couldn't stand any more than that,'' he said.

The BBC said details about the program, such as how many participants it will seek and how long the men will spend in the trench, are still being worked out.

Veterans groups said they were supportive of the show as long as it was more educational television than entertainment.

Jeremy Lillies, spokesman for The Royal British Legion, the country's largest veterans' organization, said: ''I think the BBC's plans are such that it will be sufficiently unpleasant to give people an understanding of what their forefathers endured in the defense of our freedom.''
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I will only watch if they have mustard gas attacks and only 3 gas masks for every 4 people.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I also saw something on TV about this show.

They did say that the "contestants" would be subjected to tear gas. [puke]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Jeremy Lillies, spokesman for The Royal British Legion, the country's largest veterans' organization, said: ''I think the BBC's plans are such that it will be sufficiently unpleasant to give people an understanding of what their forefathers endured in the defense of our freedom.''
View Quote

Well, then in theory the contestants should do it for free instead of filthy lucre, right?

Besides, WWI wasn't about defending freedom, it was about pointless slaughter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you get to shoot anyone?
They said nothing will be made up.
Survivor with live rounds. What a great tribal council.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top