Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 10:37:48 AM EDT
Thinking of building a ghillie suit for bowhunting. Cabellas has all sorts of burlap camo for sale in 54" wide by 5 yard pieces, in all the popular patterns. I have a few questions.... What to use as a base garment? BDU's? Nomex flight suit? How many patterns should you blend together? Hand sew or use a machine?? Has anyone used a ghillie for bow hunting??
 Thanks in advance.....FN
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First, catch a ghille.  Skin very carefully...
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe Ghillies are on the protected list in Montana. But if you come to Texas, we could go
snipe hunting or go watch the submarine races. Or Maybe cow tipping.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe Ghillies are on the protected list in Montana. But if you come to Texas, we could go
snipe hunting or go watch the submarine races. Or Maybe cow tipping.....but seriously, I think this company had suits for sale but I can't get on the site right now....
http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
 Come on now!! Seriously! Inquiring  minds want to know...how is one constructed??
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Come on down here to Ky...we shoot anything that moves...actually that only happens in LBL  :)

Joke for you locals!  Seems like someone gets shot every year when deer season opens at lbl...couldn't pay me to hunt there!
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#7]
RAF,

Thanks for the link to the information......much appreciated.

Frank in Montana
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Try:

[url]www.ghilliesuits.com[/url]

They have a "Built It Yourself" section, and you can even get the materials from them...
The method shown, with the addition of some weathered Mil. camo netting and tattered burlap strip make an effective suit. You can also use a green flight suit as your platform. It's whatever you prefer, and what doesn't make you look like a guy wearing a ghillie suit.

Happy (well-practiced fieldcraft) hunting,
havoc
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Here ya go:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=26006[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I built a ghillie suit for this springs Turkey hunt...It worked great!!  If you need any help by all means email me.

Cheers

Stormbringer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top