Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 11:56:22 AM EDT
It wont play in my DVD player. DAMNIT. I looked it up and it is SUPPOSED to play Reigon 2 DVDs.

It there some kind of chip in there that prevents me from playing this??? I'm almost tempted to go out and buy another DVD player just so I can watch this movie.

AAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
[>(]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You can thank Hollywood for that.  Sorry bro.  Can you take it back?
Ice
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. I've called all around town. No one knows how to get it to play region 2.

I'm trying to search the internet on how to "decode" these things, but I'm having no luck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Temporarily, here is a possible solution.

Do you have a computer with a DVD? If so most will allow you to switch to different regions. My Toshiba laptop does and it comes very handy overseas. They will not allow you an indefinite number of switches but you don't need that many.

Hope you get it worked out. If not just send it to me and I'll let you know how it was. :D
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
ragincajun- Thanks and F-you! [;)]

How can I get my laptop to play DVDs? Is there a program I can download from somewhere? (My laptop is also a Toshiba BTW)
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon.com has some out-of-region DVD workarounds listed in the DVD Sale area.  Look for the links on dvd pages where a region restriction is listed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
A while back I posted how a readily available and cheap ($179 at circuit shitty) brand of DVD player could be hacked so that region codes and macrovision could be turned off or defeated. Do a web search on +APEX +DVD +loopholes, and also see the big page [url]www.futuramagazine.ie/links.php[/url] for info.

I have personally done this to my APEX AD600A and can promise it works. Right now I have a lab full of them at work being used for video sources for satellite TV equipment development (have to have the macrovision turned off for compatibility with pro video equip/synchronizers). Just recently, we have been buying the APEX 500W sold at Wallmart and have been hacking them. I can watch any DVD made anywhere, make a clear VHS tape of it if I want, and also play MP3 CDs on my stereo with it. Pretty cool! [8D]

Fixed typos.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OK- What do I need to do to get this POS to play on my laptop? I suppose I cant just download software, and I have to go out and buy a driver, huh? Is there any way to hook it up to my TV?

Please HELP! [>(]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a 12-pack of good beer and come over to my house, and we'll watch it! Long drive, huh? Or send me the DVD and a blank VHS tape, and I'll make you a VHS of it.

Short of hacking an APEX, I can't think of anything else. PS I had to install win2000 on my laptop, 'cause NT won't support DVD playback. Haven't fooled with the region code. Your laptop has to have a DVD drive, not just a CD (but you knew that anyway). Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy a 12-pack of good beer and come over to my house, and we'll watch it! Long drive, huh? Or send me the DVD and a blank VHS tape, and I'll make you a VHS of it.

Short of hacking an APEX, I can't think of anything else. PS I had to install win2000 on my laptop, 'cause NT won't support DVD playback. Haven't fooled with the region code. Your laptop has to have a DVD drive, not just a CD (but you knew that anyway). Good luck!
View Quote

You have mail! [beer]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top