Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2001 11:00:44 PM EDT
Early Manufacture Pre Gun Control Act 13MM Gyrojet Rocket Pistol with all original paperwork.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/cy/Z3/LQ/0m33623.jpg[/img]

Here it is in it's original box

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/025/wh/a1/un/0z38107.jpg[/img]

Here is the 13MM Jet Stabalized Rocket in compariason to a 0.45ACP case, and a quarter.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/CI/3P/Jt/0U81756.jpg[/img]

[b]HAAA MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

McUZI, AKA Robert Mainhardt

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
So when do we get pics of it actually firing?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
McUzi,
Didn't you get that like a month ago? It sure took you long enough to take pictures! BTW- I noticed some ammo on your floor can I have it?

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't mind me asking, how much do one of those babies cost???

I saw one at a collectors gunshow one time, but it wasn't marked, so I didn't bother asking.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
McGyrojet,

And who is Garret Larson???
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I could give a chit less 'bout the rocket launcher. How much do ya want for the quarter?? Walmart has them on sale. Four for a dollar!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Janus) I have 36 Rockets coming any day now.
They set me back GOOD (About $15.00 a piece), but they are too hard to find, so I had to buy 'em. I'll be taking a MPEG video of it on a humid day, so the jet-trail is visable. I'll post it when I do.

HKocher) This is in 100% condition- Unheard of for Gyros. It came from a Butterfields auction of a Gun Museum, and my shop happened to have it. It  pretty much ate up my spare money for the rest of the year, but I've wanted one forever, so i'm eating Ramen for the next year.
It's all about priorities.
It is pretty much one of the top examples in existence, and having always wanted one, I had to pounce on a chance to own the best one out there..
Garret Larson is an AR15.com'er who e-mailed me calling me a liar about having one.
I don't know his screen name, but his real name was attached to his e-mail.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool.  Ammo is sure expensive, although well worth it I bet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a James Bond novel (I forget the title, but it's by the new guy John Gardner, not Ian Fleming) that features this pistol.  The bad guy gets shot with it at the end and James is sure he sees daylight through the guy's body before he drops...  :)

Nice purchase.  Damn.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool.  Ammo is sure expensive, although well worth it I bet.
View Quote

Oh hell yes. Shooting one is like unlike anything else. The hardest part is remembering it's a firearm.
No recoil, damn near no noise (Pfffffffff like air from a tire) and the rockets on full burn generate more energy then a .454 Casull.
It's backwards though. As the rockets expend thier payload of fuel, they get faster and faster, unlike a traditionial firearm whose projectile is getting slower the instant it leaves the barrel.
So; no noise, no recoil, and the light weight of the gun kinda make it hard to remember your are shooting something that can punch holes in plate steel...
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I know it's weird, but after seeing that thing late last night, I had a dream that a bunch of us ar15.com members were out shooting that thing at NSFJoJo in full ninja gear while he ran back and forth downrange!

It was all fun and games until he caught one square in the chest!

I know it's weird.  At least there was no funny business in the dream, and no MissMagnum either!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]

No recoil, damn near no noise (Pfffffffff like air from a tire) and the rockets on full burn generate more energy then a .454 Casull.
View Quote

I bet the BATF just loves 'em!  [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet the BATF just loves 'em!  [}:D]
View Quote

LOL!
They tried to classify them as destructive devices twice now, because it is larger then .50 calliber...But lost twice in court. They Gyro is the only "Over .50" firearm that can be legally owned without any Destructive Device paperwork.
But since they are so rare, and since ammo is no longer made, they just gave it up.But I got P_L_E_N_T_Y of ammo  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
McGyro,
How is the ammo ignited? Is this something you could make / reload for? A small lathe, and some Estee's rockets for fuel? Hmmmmmm. At $15 a whack, you can pay for the tools perty fast...
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
McGyro,
How is the ammo ignited? Is this something you could make / reload for? A small lathe, and some Estee's rockets for fuel? Hmmmmmm. At $15 a whack, you can pay for the tools perty fast...
View Quote

It uses a super super super super concentrated Rocket Fuel, in a compressed payload. Way out of the league of the Estes rocket paks.
The guys who designed the guns were Nuclear Engineers for the US Govt, so they had access to all the good stuff to test fuels. These things generate some pretty intense muzzle velocity.
To home make rockets would be pretty much impossible, even if one could secure the high-grade fuel. Each rocket in and of itself is a minuature machine, comprised of tiny angled ports, and the like.
AR15.com'er Wilson mentioned a guy in Wisconsin who apparently has the tools, and occasionially makes batches of Gyro Rockets, but for big $$$.

Shooting it isn't something i'll be able to do too often.
I found the last sizable batch of Gyro Rockets out there, and bought it.
Once those are burned up, the gun is getting sold to a collector.
I don't own guns I can't shoot, but not too many people get a chance to fire one of these things, so I had to buy it [:)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
WAY cool dude!

I am a cartridge collector, but I don't have one of them in my collection.  I'd like to find one projectile, inert or unfirable, to put on the wall.

Balming
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WAY cool dude!

I am a cartridge collector, but I don't have one of them in my collection.  I'd like to find one projectile, inert or unfirable, to put on the wall.

Balming
View Quote

The problem with the Gyro's is that they aren't a self-contained cartridge...Once they are fired, they are gone into the wild blue yonder without a trace.
I'll tell ya what though...
I've budgeted 5 Rockets to do some penetration tests.
Apparently, they are pretty wicked..The US gave them to Vietnamese villagers during Nam to use against APC's and stuff.
If I can recover any, i'll send ya one. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top