Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2001 5:32:11 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense, and was wondering what everyone's preferences here are.

thanks in advance,
Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Remington 870. Plenty of accessories & upgrades available. Best all around shotgun out there.
Mossbergs are ugly, rattle like a junk truck and hold no value. I think they give one out with every mobile home sold. They work, but they aren't very nice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Beretta 1200 or 1201 if you like autos, recoil operated though, and kicks like a mule, but function is flawless, even with mixed loads!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Mossberg 590.  Solid, dependable, Mil-Spec.  'nuff said. [(:)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Scattergun Technologies 870 or 11-87.
If just one it'd be the 870 but I got the 11-87 first.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
BENELLI![shotgun]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely the Bennelli!!! if you want an autoloader that is the only gun to have!! smooth as silk action, the fastest action in the world capable of up to 5 rounds per second!!! Undoubtably the best you can get.  

[rocket]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm partial to a bolt action shotguns myself.  I know it will work, and if it doesn't fire, I just cycle the bolt.  I worked as a grounds keeper (I cut the grass and unlocked the gate) for a local gun (shotgun-only) club for a few years.  I've seen plenty of auto's jam, and I've seen more pumps jam.  I know the pump jams were usually caused by operator error (short cycling it, I would guess), but that still worries me in a stressful home defense situation.  I have never once seen someone have a problem with a bolt-action shotgun.  One member of the club reloaded shells, and they were typically a little bit wider at the end of the shell than just above the brass.  The guys with the autos and pumps had trouble cycling these rounds.  The guys with the bolt actions simply slammed the bolt closed a little harder than normal.  I've seen plenty of shells that were slightly out of size (from age?).  I wouldn't want to depend on anything but a bolt-action if you're going to try shooting ammo that may have been on the shelf for a long time.  I know now that you know you'll fire it often now, but will you in 10+ years?

A local pawn shop has a bunch of Savage bolt action shotguns for $40 (w/o magazines, they're $25 each used).  You can't beat that.  I just bought one, but I don't have anywhere to shoot it, so I can't depend on it, yet.

The only problem I have with shotgun is that the mag only holds two rounds.  Anyone know where to buy a higher capacity magazine for a Savage Model 58?  This shotgun with a 5 (or 10, I wish!) round mag would rule.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with a Remington Express HD. Its' an 18" cyl bore 870 and they only cost about $250. You can trick it completely out for another $250 or so and have all the home defense you'll ever need (a BIG dog is a good accessory). I like the Benelli and the Beretta (I have an M1 Super 90 Tactical model down at my dad's house), but with Benellis costing upwards of $800, the 870 is a MUCH better buy. And if you do end up having to blast some scumbag in your house, the prosecuter will have a field day if you use the Benelli (or an AR for that matter). You will be painted as a gun freak that was just waiting for someone to kill (high capacity pistol gripped Benelli's are banned). It sucks but that's how it is...

Here's mine: Total investment under $600.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/fv/kv/9u/YJ84635.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
For my situation I have replaced the whole idea of a shotgun with a carbine.  The Benelli is great and remains my first choice in a shotgun.  The old 870 will probably do you just fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1695348&a=13018338&p=50781715&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Contrary to other opinions I like the Mossberg 500 in this configuration.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
... I like the Mossberg 500 in this configuration.
View Quote

FedGunner,

where did the stock and hand guard com from?

they would be perfect on my Defender.

thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]
After much fiddling around with mossbergs, I bought a benelli and never looked back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thoughts on shotguns at http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/shotgun.html

HTH

Justin
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought a Benelli in 1986, straight stock, full length extension tube, rifle sights.  Added Briley choke tubes, mecury recoil tube in stock, and ported it myself.  I have used it to win more IPSC matches and bagged more quail than I can remember.  Shoots everything flawlessly.  Absolutely priceless.  

A friend took it to Gunsite a while back for the advanced shotgun course as a backup to his tricked out 870.  After the 870 bit the dust on the morning of the first day, he used it the rest of the week.  Shoot over 1000 rounds through it of buckshot, birdshot, and slugs.  It was the only gun there that did not have a malfunction of one type or another all week.  Everyone tried it to see if it was a fluke or something, but it kept on ticking.

Benelli rules!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Winchester 1897 trenchgun.Guess I'm old fashioned.

[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OQAAAIYQmfLPa5CTgdtAAi1PxgzrpwEHUQ054D8YJt2b0rVSl22R3aCQc4Ym2C5MVXj[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
(high capacity pistol gripped Benelli's are banned). It sucks but that's how it is...

View Quote

not disputing your other points, but if you need more than 6 slugs or 00 buck, immediately, to deal with a problem APPROPRIATE to a shotgun; you probably wouldnt get to use your other 2 or 3 shells anyway. that's why i went with a short barrel instead. [url]classthreesupply.com/page10.html[/url]

you're going to be painted as a loose cannon anyway. i want the most effective tool. period.(subject to taste and experience, of course.) i found a p-grip and a short barrel more useful than 8rnds in the tube and a straight stock. ymmv.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#18]
How much would a pistol gripped Benelli cost?

Where can you find them?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd go with a Remington Express HD. Its' an 18" cyl bore 870 and they only cost about $250. You can trick it completely out for another $250 or so and have all the home defense you'll ever need (a BIG dog is a good accessory). I like the Benelli and the Beretta (I have an M1 Super 90 Tactical model down at my dad's house), but with Benellis costing upwards of $800, the 870 is a MUCH better buy. And if you do end up having to blast some scumbag in your house, the prosecuter will have a field day if you use the Benelli (or an AR for that matter). You will be painted as a gun freak that was just waiting for someone to kill (high capacity pistol gripped Benelli's are banned). It sucks but that's how it is...
View Quote

And the same prosecuter won't barbecue for that 870? C'mon!  I don't know the law in PA, but generally, you are only limited in capacity if you have a semi-auto shotgun, and a pistol grip that is not pre-ban.  A verified pre-ban Benelli, (such as mine) sports 9 shot capacity, and pistol grip! [8D]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=127634&a=936564&p=13220446[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
benelli tactical? around $800. any well stocked gunshop should have 'em.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have $800 to spend you will never regret the Benelli M1 Super 90.  Mine was bought around a year and half ago and cost about $715 with a LEO discount.

And if you go the pump route buy the Remington 870 over the Mossberg 590.  I'm not lookin to cut down the 590 or for a long debate but it is pure fact that the 870 is a superior shotgun.  We have 4 870s and love everyone like a baby.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FedGunner,

where did the stock and hand guard com from?

they would be perfect on my Defender.

thanks.
View Quote

The stock is from Choate and the forend is a Surefire 6 volt, the heat shield is a stock Mossberg blued part, the reflex sight is an OKO.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd go Mossberg 590A1 for a pump(I have one that has a 20inch barrel holds 8 rounds in the tube one in the hole 4 rd in the butt stock 6 rd on a side saddle thats 19 rd  00 buck that I have on me can't beat that.). or 9200 jungle gun for semi-auto. You can lesion to all these guys about what they like but all I have to say is look what the Navy SEALS, Army and a few other military grope use they use the Mossberg It had been the only shotgun that has ever passed the military standards no other shotgun has. I hated my Bennelli it sucked big time my Mossberg was a hell of a lot less.

HighlandMac
Absolutely the Bennelli!!! if you want an autoloader that is the only gun to have!! smooth as silk action, the fastest action in the world capable of up to 5 rounds per second!!! Undoubtably the best you can get.  

And who the hell want to shot 5 rd in one second? You know how bad the kick on that is going to be. You'd be on your ass by the third shot.
Go with what works Remington 870 are nice also but don't go out and spend $800 for a shotgun. The sound of a pump racking just scares the shit out of people .
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#24]
My choice in the "Tactical" style is the Beretta 1201FPG3, a recoil operated 12-ga. autoloader. It was imported, pre-ban, for one year only. It is quite similar to the Benelli, which isn't surprising, since Beretta owns the majority share of Bennelli.
I've removed the factory sights and replaced them with the MMC Ghost Ring setup.  The 6-shot SideSaddle is for the Benelli, but fits fine.  The shroud for the bbl. is for a Remington 870, and we just covered the filled dovetail slot for the rear sight with it and shimmed the front ever so slightly for a nice tight fit.

The Remington 870 EXPRESS SUPER MAG is the second of the shotguns shown below.
It is shown with the 26" vent-rib bbl. and NIKON  1.5-4.5x20 Turkey Scope in Millett mount; Choate pistolgrip buttstock and forend.
I am currently in the process of sending this firearm back to Remington for a look at the magazine shell release lever, which is hanging up the shell as it comes out of the magazine.  One small problem to be fixed by the good folks at Remington.  I've fired the gun with Foster slugs(modified choke removed), and it is accurate, when it decides to let go of the shell...The 870 has a ton of accessories to attach to it, so this is only one of its many faces.  I'm partial to the "TrenchCoatMafia" version, myself.
Following are views of both of these shotguns.
[b][blue]Beretta 1201FPG3[/blue][/b]
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/pw/1C/93/xB34444.jpg[/url]
[b][green]Remington 870 EXPRESS SUPER MAG[/green][/b]
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Ly/4G/6A/tt78657.jpg[/green][/url]
I'm looking forward to getting them both to the range simultaneously to test patterns and slugs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Benelli,  functions flawlessly and goes BANG as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Fabarm, same as Benelli but higher priced, only thing is it usually says HK on it.

Remington, nice gun for a little ammount of money.

Browning, usually kicks like a mother, but mean and nasty and handles being swung like a bat.

Mossberg, mixed opinion because I have used good and bad guns of the 590 and 500.  If you get a good one see Remington

Ice
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey Armalite Fan,
A buddy of mine says you have to hold the hammer back while loading the Model '97.  Is that true?

If so, be carefull where you place that thing for loading.
Ice
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#27]
[size=6]GUS, YOUR PICTURE IS THE BEST GUN PHOTO
I HAVE EVER SEEN POSTED ON AR15.COM.. PLEASE
SHOW THE OTHERS HOW YOU DO IT. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF LOUSY GUN PHOTOS, OVEREXPOSED, UNDEREXPOSED, BAD LIGHTING, BAD BACKGROUND, ETC.. GUS YOU ARE "THE GUN PHOTAG"[/SIZE=6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And the same prosecuter won't barbecue for that 870? C'mon!  I don't know the law in PA, but generally, you are only limited in capacity if you have a semi-auto shotgun, and a pistol grip that is not pre-ban.  A verified pre-ban Benelli, (such as mine) sports 9 shot capacity, and pistol grip! [8D]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=127634&a=936564&p=13220446[/img]
View Quote

Well, just looking at my 870, you may be right. If it didn't have the side saddle, stock, and mag extension, it would be a little better. However, a pre-ban (banned) Benelli is a lot bigger load of ammo for the prosecuter. All he'd have to say is "why do you think we banned'em?". Don't even think of using any NFA weapon like a short shotgun! I own one just like yours - pre-ban, 9 shot, etc. (no light though - yet), and it is by far my favorite shotgun. But the 870 is just as effective as long as you've trained enough not to have a short stroking problem under pressure. I've shot pumps enough over the years that it's not an issue for me.  I'd be painted as a loose cannon in some states if I used even a Ruger Mk II! I'm not saying don't get a Benelli, just think about your local politics, not to mention price. For the straight $250 the Express HD costs, it's a hard value to beat.  BTW, Pa. laws do little to limit shot gun capacity! In fact, if I had to pick a state to be investigated by for a home defense killing, I'd rather it was Pennsylvania!
They do seem to understand that your right to be secure in your home means invaders can be repelled with whatever force necessary (among other things).
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Aw shucks!!  Thanks, HANGFIRE!  I don't do anything special, and the camera I used is just a Toshiba snapshot type digicam from work. It isn't even mine!  Anyway, outdoors on a cloudy day (or in the shade) and using a flash is the trick I use. That and a little exposure retouch with software before uploading them.  Indoor pictures are a lot tougher due to lighting concerns.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#31]
i love my Mossberg 590A1... i've shot over 1,000 rounds of buckshot and slugs through this thing... it is a trustworthy gun...

as for Mossbergs being noisy and such? hmmm... i don't know... so long as it fires steadily, i have no complaints.

i would like a Remington 870 and a Benelli, too

but have no regrets over my decision to go with the Mossberg

Jeff C/NY~~Blade
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I really enjoy my Benelli M1 Super 90.
I also like the Mossberg 590.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree with Gus. I have a Benelli M1 Super 90, and I absolutely love it.  Its as good as everyone is saying.  However, if you want this primarily for home defense, the K.I.S.S principle reigns supreme.  Keep it simple!!  The Rem 870 with whatever you want to hang on it is perfect.  (Don't hang anything on it would be my advice) Plan for worst case scenario; it would be dark, middle of the night, you're only half awake, and you have adrenilin squirting out of your ears!  Keep it simple.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Definately Mossberg 590A1.  But if the choice is between a 500, standard 590 or a Remington, I would get the Remington
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't know if it's a favorite but it's a favorite that I own...
I have a metal Choate top folder on a Mossberg 500 with the extension tube (8 rounds.)
It goes bang every time. It's indestructible and it was cheap. I got a great deal on the gun and I bought the stock through shotgun news.
I might add a nightsight ghost ring and call it quits.
Great piece and I'll never give it up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
OK, since we are all in the great Benelli love-fest, I have a question.

I have a M1S90, but would like to get a shorter stock installed. (Hey, I've got stubby arms!) Does anybody know of anyone that sells them? (Do the Berretta 1201 stocks fit? It sure looks like it - and if so, does anyone stock them?)

Thanks

Jim

(Oh, and has anyone shot a 1201 and a M1? Just wondering what the thoughts were on the differences between the two, if any.)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#37]
The 1201FP is FAST and LIGHT.
Here's a link to a test of the 1201FP, (in fact, this guys site is pretty entertaining, even if I don't agree with everything he says...)[url]http://www.loudpipes.com/laissezfirearm/1201fp.htm[/url]
The Benelli is almost identical as far as the bolt goes, and there are a couple of differences I don't know how to explain.  I won't BS you on that.  
Check the laws regarding the pistolgrip buttstock installation on your particular firearm.
Choate Machine & Tool is the maker of the Beretta buttstock, I'm sure of it.  The only difference is the logo.
I'm not lacking with my Beretta 1201FP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is my primary self-defense shotgun.  This thing sits in my safe, trunk, boat, tent, closet, etc.  basically anytime I feel like having a 12G close by.

Anybody care to guess what it is?  It's not exactly what you think it is.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/lS/1v/OR/O847483.jpg [/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#39]
There are two "best of" fighting shotguns.  If you prefer pumps, the Remington 870 Wingmaster is king of the hill.  For auto loaders, it si the Beretta 1201.  Does everything the Benelli will do, and does some of them better, at a much friendlier price.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Rem 870 Police or an old (pre 1993) Rem 870 Express from before the PC Mods.

I have a Benelli M1S90 too and cant recommend them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here is my primary self-defense shotgun.  This thing sits in my safe, trunk, boat, tent, closet, etc.  basically anytime I feel like having a 12G close by.

View Quote

Looks like a shortened Mossberg Mavrick 12 ga. Short barrel with vent rib?  Am I close?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Mossberg 590 12ga. 3 in. mag with heat shield and bayonet
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I just thought I might share why I chose Mossberg.

1) I shoot shotguns for a living. I've fired every brand named, though not every model. My job is to test ammunition, not shotguns. The Benelli's feel exactly like a Mossberg after 50 rounds in 3 minutes. The Remington starts getting "tight" after 30 rounds. (Cold gun transitioning to a hot gun) And the Remington gets "tighter" the hotter it gets. All that said. These shotguns do not  receive the TLC that you and I give our weapons. They are "Rode hard and put away wet" The equivalent of extreme usage. The Benelli and Mossberg do not appear to suffer under these conditions. The Remington does.(There are a minimum of three of each make in rotation)

2)  The Benelli's are at least twice the cost of the Mossberg.

3) I trained with a Mossberg in the army.

For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Mossberg 590 12 ga. 3 in. mag. 8 shot with heat shield and bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[size=6]GUS, YOUR PICTURE IS THE BEST GUN PHOTO
I HAVE EVER SEEN POSTED ON AR15.COM.. PLEASE
SHOW THE OTHERS HOW YOU DO IT. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF LOUSY GUN PHOTOS, OVEREXPOSED, UNDEREXPOSED, BAD LIGHTING, BAD BACKGROUND, ETC.. GUS YOU ARE "THE GUN PHOTAG"[/SIZE=6]
View Quote

Just a little overexposed to me.  It's all personal preferrence.  I used to work in a photo lab and I would go 1 shade darker, but good pic anyways.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#46]
My .02 worth...
Just obtained a Mossberg 590 Pursuader, parkerized finish with heat shield and bayo lug (yes, bayo lug that will hold m16 bayo).  This unit holds 8 in the tube (which explains the 20" barrel) plus 1 in the chamber.  This shotgun just "feels good" and fires flawlessly. Good luck on your decision.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like a Remington m870 with a shortened vent rib barrel and (possibly) new choke added.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense, and was wondering what everyone's preferences here are.

thanks in advance,
Regards,
Francis
View Quote

How about this [:D]

[img]http://www.birdman.org/images/DewGunLarge.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Holds 6 round, too [:D]

Seriously, I have a 20 gauge, yes, I said "20 gauge" Remington m870 youth gun, with original "Politically Correct" wooden "sporting" stock.  The onlt thing I need is a mag extention.  I know everyone here probably would rather have a 12 gauge, but I paid $200 for it, with all three choke tubes.  I also put on a fiber optic sight just for kicks.  No light on it, and maybe I should get one, but it doesn't look like the dreaded "combat shotgun".  The 20 actually has some pretty respectable loads for it, too.  Maybe not as powerful as the 12, but more controllable.

Just my .02,

Urban (yes, I like the 20 gauge) Rifleman
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Bennelli M3 Super 90
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top