Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2001 7:36:08 PM EDT
this may sound like a really dumb question, but i am not a ballistics expert.  most of my hunting has been done with a 7mm.  (never actually had a good beed on a buck anyhow).

Is the .308win a good hunting round?  Would it drop a deer, etc?

I followed a thread the other day, can't find it now, about bolt or semiauto for sniping.  Got me thinking that for my 'survival' (or whatever one calls it) stash that something like a scoped FAL might serve just as well as a bolt 7mm...and the ammo is alot more reasonable to shoot/store...

Would it (FAL)be a good 'sniper'/Hunter combo?  i just have never really considered and semi-auto as a hunting rifle.

Zaz
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell Yes!

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the perfect hunter/sniper combo. .308's are a very common hunting round. More powerfull than a 30/30 and slightly less than a 30-06. And has a shorter action. It delivers around 2400-2700 pounds of muzzle energy depending on load. Match hollow points should function perfectly through a FAL, I've even shot soft points with no problems.

My SAR-48 with 4x scope/Arms mount is very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
oh, boy.  the wallet is starting to shake and bounce off the coffee table!!!!!

[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I love this idea.
If I had only one rifle, period, it would be the DSA Carbine with the DSA scope mount and a Leupold 6x42 scope on it in the Leupold QRW rings.
This is a capable combination for defense and hunting.
Finding a 30-rd. mag would be the icing on the cake.
It might be a tad heavy to hump around, but, shoot, you'd get used to it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top