Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Top Three Most Danderous Jobs? I'd have to say that dermatologists, barbers, and hairstylists must at the top of that list! They probably see more dander than any other profession.

While I think that this thread could have been presented in a more appropriate manner, I don't see why cops and firefighters get so bent out of shape when the reality that their jobs may not be as dangerous as they would like us to believe is pointed out.

Eight people at my company have been killed on the job in the last 10 months. Do I have a dangerous job? It would probably seem fairly mundane to a lot of you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The three most dangerous jobs. Hmmmmmmmm.[>:/]
I'd have to go with
    Backyard lawyer[:)>]

Armchair commando[(:)]

Unofficial Constitutional expert[:E]

Not necessarily in that order.

sgb [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
View Quote

This is by far the best post of this thread.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No ma"am,

Those guys are not out saving your ass from day to day.

View Quote

No one has ever had to save my ass. My ass is perfectly safe in my own hands.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[size=2][b][blue]To the dipshit 'no"mam' that started this post,

Take a look at this link [url]http://www.lastalarm.org/[/url] and pay particular attention to the 3 Firefighters who died on Father's Day, June 17, 2001 while fighting a fire in New York City. And did you happen to catch the picture in the paper of one of the firefighters son wearing his father's fire helmet while tears rolled down his 8 year old face during his father's funeral?

If I am coming across a little strong, it is because I am a Firefighter/Paramedic also. I leave my wife and 2 boys every 3rd day and take the time to hug and kiss each one and tell them that I love them ......... and really mean every damn word of it. Because there is always a chance I might not make it back home. The same is true for the men and women of Law Enforcement. Personally, I believe both of these occupations qualify with being some of the most dangerous jobs in the USA.

Yes, there are a lot of paid/hired organizations soliciting money and I don't give unless I am sure it will benefit the men and women of Public Safety who keep the streets safe for your sorry ass.

But the next time you hear of a fallen Law Enforcement Officer or Firefighter who died in the line of duty, I hope you choke on a big lump in you throat and remember the assanine words you posted, you sorry son of a bitch. Yeah, I normally keep it reserved on this board, but you stepped on a raw nerve asshole.

Clay[/size=2][/b][/blue]
View Quote

[size=2][b][blue]I think you owe it to your family to get a safer job.  Nobody drafted you.  If your job is so dangerous, then quit!  I think it is selfish to burden your families with your macho fantasies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I droped a brick on my foot the other day. [BD]
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Having done two of the three and never have been in the front seat of a plane I guess I am pretty lucky to be alive.  Oh the horror.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Hmmmmm.....how many people have had unpleasant people they met at work hunt them down, just to be able to harass and threaten (and HURT) them at home?

Have I saved anyone? YES. Have I PREVENTED crime? YES. Do I get paid as much as a UPS driver? NO. An auto mechanic? NO. A teacher? HELL NO. Why do I keep doing the job? Because if I don't, maybe no-one else will. Definitely no-one as well-qualified. Maybe the guy they'd replace me with would be a prick. Maybe he wouldn't care for anything but a paycheck. Do I want your sympathy? NO. Do I want your understanding? Not really. Do I want to earn a living? YES. If I took your advice and got a better-paying job, my profession would be left to poorly-educated functionaries who are unable to tell right from wrong, and probably wouldn't care anyway.
   LE is a critical profession. We all want good, honest, reliable officers we can believe in and trust. Unfortunately, those qualities that make a good cop also make a good employee/manager. Without good pay and fair treatment (and some respect), good officers become few and far between, and you get what you deserve.....and what you claim to hate. Remember, in most states, LEOs can't really do anything (strike, complain to the media and government) to improve their pay and benefits. If I could make $30,000 a year, I would be RICH. I might even be able to pay off my grad school loans. Yeah, I made a choice. I also made a difference.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You rule Charmedlyfe!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Charmed I'm sure..... That was pretty well said.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No ma"am,

Those guys are not out saving your ass from day to day.

View Quote

I dont depend on them(cops), but they may like to think that I do.  Get rid of guns and it's job security BABY! I'm glad they are out there though, it keeps the scum population indoors for the most part.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I can say pilots are dangerous.  I work with them everyday and they have no idea about the plane they are flying.  Even better, they have no idea what they are talking about.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Cleaning soy-bean fields.

See my thread about rabies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to work as a high voltage lineman in Alaska for a few years. Sucked. Unlike some of the members feel that their jobs somehow benifit others, I did it for 1 selfish reason. MONEY!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I would think farming would have to make the top 10 if not higher.[uzi]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#16]
According to OSHA, in terms of total number of deaths, the most dangerous job in the country is convenience store clerk.  Makes you think, doesn't it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I too am a Correctional Officer, hence the nick, and find that the LEO bashing on this board is nauseating.  To say that a LEO has not saved your ass sometime in life is just plain stupid.  

Without LEOs risking their asses in the trenches everyday we would have a country of anarchy.  They just keep the war that is happening all the time from coming to your front door.  

Some of these members are clueless.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys I have the most dangerous job.  How many of you guys have tried to do a speculum exam on a 450lb woman?  I didn't know where to put that damn thing.  All I know is I had gloves to my armpits and a rope around my waist so that my nurses could pull me out! I won't even get into the olfactory problem she presented!

LEO and firemen deserve our thanks.  They endure a lot of stuff for us.  Lots of you go home and know youll always come home unless you decide to run away with the secretary.  These have a small but decent chance of not seeing their familes again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Boomer wrote: "I don't see why cops and firefighters get so bent out of shape when the reality that their jobs may not be as dangerous as they would like us to believe is pointed out."

The three NYFD firefighters killed last week were at the same fire that 30 were also injured.  I believe the final count for the WEEK was six firefighters killed in the US...

The national injury stat for firefighters a couple years ago was 75%.  That means that there were enough injuries reported to represent 75% of the total population of firefighters in the US...

My experience here in New Jersey is that about half the volunteers actually fight fires...the rest buy stickers, flashing lights and talk a good game...(I am a volunteer)

So, if you figure that maybe half the firefighters really do the job, and the injury stats are 75% of the total population, that says that every real firefighter reports 1.5 injuries per year...

I think those stats are based on the NFIRS (national fire incident reporting system) of which not every fire department participates.

I can tell you, in my 16 year career, I have suffered many, many injuries, including amputated digits, serious falls, many, many burns, electrocution and deep flesh wounds, and none of mine have been worthy of a report.

Real firefighting is damn dangerous.

ps- I attended a program on ship-board firefighting...it is pretty darn scary stuff, but no more scary than a 100 year old brick building with a cockloft blowing... let's all calm down and put our units back in the pants...

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#20]
TurnKey,TheWind,and Guard my brothers!!!!!!!!!!! I to am a Correctional officer .Being in physical danger is only part of it, the mental danger is still there long after you walk out the front gate!!(you can lose your mind bring a "CO" and many do).Guard I must disagree with you about cops!!!Correctional Officers are considered law enforcement's stepchild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We are not even allowed to carry in WI!!!(everyone must be allowed to carry). Cops are elitist and look down their nose at us guards!! Most cops think they should be the only ones armed.Not all cops are bad but the new generation(younger)cops seem to have a guilty till   proving inocint attitude.This attitude is fine if you are dealing with inmates,but not when dealing with members of a free society!![0j]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I too am a Correctional Officer, hence the nick, and find that the LEO bashing on this board is nauseating.  To say that a LEO has not saved your ass sometime in life is just plain stupid.  

Without LEOs risking their asses in the trenches everyday we would have a country of anarchy.  They just keep the war that is happening all the time from coming to your front door.  

Some of these members are clueless.
View Quote

Bullshit, you cannot substantiate there would be anarchy.  I can defend myself. Besides, who the hell are you "correcting" you are a guard, turn key, bull, etc.  The guys that flunk out of cop school become guards because they are too stupid to become cops.  Yes, I have worked in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Um, actually QCMGR I make more than the cops in my neighborhood do and yes do a much easier job.  Maybe I call myself "Guard" because I have a sense of humor and also know that "Corrections" is bullshit.  

So stop "correcting" other people and go read your monthly copy of Conspiracy Theory.

And there is not one of us who could defend ourselves against a 100% unregulated society.  Alright well, maybe Steyr.

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By medicjim

I can tell you, in my 16 year career, I have suffered many, many injuries, including amputated digits, serious falls, many, many burns, electrocution and deep flesh wounds, and none of mine have been worthy of a report.

Real firefighting is damn dangerous.

ps- I attended a program on ship-board firefighting...it is pretty darn scary stuff, but no more scary than a 100 year old brick building with a cockloft blowing... let's all calm down and put our units back in the pants...

View Quote

Man, have you ever used any safety equipment?

I have been a full time, paid, professional firefighter for over 18 years, and in that time have suffered only one serious injury (hernia induced by lifting 450 lb + lard asses from the ground). BUT there have been many minor injuries that, I dare say, would sideline, if not retire, many people in the private sector.

And yes, I chose this profession.

Also, shipboard firefighting is a bitch. But then, so is an old building, a raging forest fire or even something as simple as room and contents.

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
3 most dangerous jobs:

1. Pizza delivery person
2. Game warden
3. Grizzly bear artificial inseminator

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[size=2][b][blue]
Take a look at this link [url]http://www.lastalarm.org/[/url] and pay particular attention to the 3 Firefighters who died on Father's Day
Clay[/size=2][/b][/blue]
View Quote

How dare you besmirch Firefighters by putting them in the same league as cops! Firefighters do nothing but help people whenever they are called. Nothing in their job description requires an immoral act! Unfortunately the same can't be said for cops.
View Quote

Garmentless,

Geeze Dude...That was harsh.

There's some guys/gals I work with that I would not leave unattended in my home.  Some of the cops I know I would trust with my children.  There's good and bad in every group.  You bash with a broad hammer!

Clay,

Gave me a lump in my throat...Got 3 kids of my own.  There but for the grace of God go I.

Turnkey,

I have often thought you had the most thankless job in America.  Some of us appreciate what you do.  I couldn't put up with the 'tudes.  Bad enough from the drunk students.

Tim L.       [):)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey MP906, I said I work for the FAA as an Electronic tech.  Airplane electricians work for the airlines you dumbass.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The #1 most danderous job is Hairdresser
View Quote

LOL!  You beat me to that one!
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By no ma''am:
Hey JDP, no cop ever saved my ass and they sure as hell don't provide crab legs to purchase.  Throw your badge in the trash where it belongs and go work for living.
View Quote
Are we starting another fight here like the recent U.S. vs Canada one with Scared Crow that got locked up? Next time you need a cop REALLY bad, and you get your ass handed to you on a plate, don't be crying about it. Take it like a man, if you're still around to do so.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Flight deck control on CVN-XX. You try working right in the middle of an airfield sometime and see how it is. The oil patch comes in as a runner up too. But overall honors go to law enforcement/firefighting. My hats off to all of you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top