Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 2:25:47 PM EDT
I'm curious when did so many of the general public get so bored that they take such a negative view to LEO's?  All these posts that I read week in and week out do get old after a while.  They write about how us LEO have an elitist attitude and that we think of us as holier than thou.  All you dipshits talk about is that and the paramilitary evil swat teams.  Get over it...talk about something else.  Maybe a reason some LEO's have an us against them attitude is because we get sick and tired of hearing you numb nuts rant and rave about the same crap over and over again that just puts us down.  I don't think I'm better than you just because of the badge.  But I do know I am a better person than some of the trash I deal with on the street.  I have never kicked in a wrong door by mistake.  I don't serve on a super evil para military swat team...my dept doesn't even have one and my dept is almost 300 officers strong.  I do work alot of traffic but I don't write alot of citations anymore.  If someone I stop is rude to me then it is not my job to kiss their ass and bowdown.  Why don't we LEO's start trashing some of you idiots and your work you do?  Answer, is because I have better things to do with my time than put you down.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
YUP, thats the attitude were talkin about...
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I CONCUR
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1282/9_52/61892071/p1/article.jhtml?term=[/url]

"New York University law professor Paul Chevigny points out that in the long run, the police will be the biggest losers from police militarization and its accompanying mentality: "The police think of themselves as an occupying army, and the public comes to think the same. The police lose the connection with the public which is a principal advantage to local policing, and their job becomes progressively more difficult, while they become more unpopular."

An erosion of public confidence in the police has to be a matter of grave concern for anyone who cares about the future of law and order."

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
"Why don't we LEO's start trashing some of you idiots and your work you do?"

I take this one.

We have two examples of "Law Enforcement Professionalism" currently here is Georgia.

First, a gentleman here is facing obstruction of justice charges.  What did he do?  You see, he came upon an accident where a child had collided his motorcycle with a truck.  The gentleman moved the motorbike out of the way and climbed under the truck to comfort the dying boy.  It seems the broken radiator was leaking hot fluid on the child.  Along comes Barney Fife, who says the "crime scene" has been "molested" and charges the man.

Second, one night few years ago in a small town here one of the two cops got shot.  When "backup" arrived, the injured cop said a man in a nearby home had done the deed.  Soon the entire on duty sheriff's office, and nearby State Police surrounded the home of the "prep".  Calls on a loudspeaker went unanswered.  Soon an "entry team" went in.  THEY HAD TO WAKE THE GUY UP IN HIS BED!

Remember that.

The poor guy was jailed for several months without bond.  Meanwhile the rental home was cleared of his property.

The state crime lab began an investigation and determined Barney Fife 2 had shot himself.  The innocent citizen was released and the "Law Enforcement Professional" was arrested.

Now, 20 or some "professionals" were on the scene that night.  Did not one find it just a little strange the "attempted cop killer" had gone right home and went fast asleep after the crime?  We're not talking rocket science here folks.

Happily, this sad tale has a happy ending.  Our citizen has sued the town, the mayor of the town, the police chief, the sheriff, every on duty deputy that night, the jailers, the county, the State Police, every State Police officer on duty that night for a total of $60 million in Federal Court.

May he get every single penny and take everything these "Law Enforcement Professionals" have including digging up the grass in their yards and selling that!

Now, what was that you were saying about a negative view?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My neighbor is a LEO, and we go shooting together. Best neighbor ever.
However, the Darth Vader look we see on TV makes my skin crawl..

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: All you dipshits, Get over it...you numb nuts.  
View Quote

This is what a lot of folks hear you saying.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
No...my attitude is simply that I get sick and tired of some of you people that take an incident and categorize all officers from that incident.  I come here to enjoy reading these posts not to listen to some of you idiots bash me for the actions of others.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe not you, but others make mistakes.  

[url]http://ananova.com/news/story/sm_337162.html?menu=[/url]

Policeman kills dog while serving
                                               warrant at wrong house

A police officer serving an arrest warrant at the wrong house
                                               shot the owner's labrador dead.

The incident happened in the Frogtown suburb of Minnesota's
                                               capital, St Paul. The officer says he felt threatened by the dog.

The officer was with four others looking for a man accused of
                                               forging a cheque.

The black labrador retriever Gwennie was shot dead after
                                               barking at the officers as they entered the house.

Police haven't commented on the incident.

Dog owner Beth Hatch's six-year-old daughter Kelly told the
                                               Pioneer Planet: "It shouldn't have happened. She died saving
                                               our lives. She was barking to make sure we were safe."
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
TO PROTECT AND SERVE !!!!
look you chose this job knowing what was involved, just like those of us who served our country did. I know you deal with the shit of humanity but you also need to have a full frontal assault on the public relations arena.
it just seems like a adversarial relationship and it cant work that way.
[x]
SGB, I just looked back for a second...
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Civilian gun owner does something dangerous, stupid, or illegal. Other civilian gun owners chastise him.

Law Enforcement officer does something dangerous, stupid, or illegal. Other law Enforcement officers rush to his defense and chastise civilians who disagree.

See the difference?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why don't we LEO's start trashing some of you idiots and your work you do?  Answer, is because I have better things to do with my time than put you down.  
View Quote

First, you aren't smart enough to trash what I do for a living because you would never understand it, way over your head.

Second, there are only a few who bash LEO's on here and I am not one of them.  Given that, I still took humbrage with your post.  It was completely unnecessary and only served to stir up hard feelings, even among those of us who respect LEO's.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Look man, I agree with you for the most part.  My cousin is a State trooper down in Georgia.  However, don't demean or belittle the folks you're trying to make your point to.  Comments like "I don't think I'm better than you just because of the badge." make me think you do in fact think you're better then me.  Also repeating to the reader of your post that they are "numb-nuts" and "dipshits" leaves me feeling like you are a little elitist.  Use a little more tactful approach next time.... it might get you a little further...  

"left side clear"
DG84
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
jadams, you said exactly what I was thinking. Being a fellow LEO I am seeing far more "us and them" attitude from the people on this board than from the police officers in this area. I am sick and tired of the many being branded by the mistakes of the few.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
jadams, you said exactly what I was thinking. Being a fellow LEO I am seeing far more "us and them" attitude from the people on this board than from the police officers in this area.
View Quote

Well, BEING an LEO, you would certainly be less likely to notice an Us Vs Them attitude in fellow LEOs.  But it's there, even in the good ones. The very good ones can control it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is an example that happened just last weekend.my wife and I went on a garden tour.We started to get a flat and I dicover the lug bolts from the aftermarket wheels are not long enough for the factory wheels.So I bought several cans of fix a flat.when I relize that its not going to work I pull over way off the side of the road.Cant find anyone open late saturday that will fix it for under a 100.I know Im getting screwed but I tell them to come get me.Actually it was 75 but I had my wife call and it went to a hundred.Call back and he decides he could only tow it to his lot.No way.I noticed a policeman getting his oil changed at a quick lube.He hadnt noticed us so as a courtesy ,I went over to talk to him.I told him th problem and i would be back to get it first light Monday morning.He told me he would tag it as soon as his car was done and it would be towed in 24 hrs.

And you wonder why.I know not all are this way.I have some friends through shooting that are police officers.I did it part time myself.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#18]
quasi-official Baltimore Police attitude - "there are 2 kinds of people, assh*les and cops".  Told to me by a Baltimore cop.

official Maryland Transportation Police attitude - "once you are an officer, you won't have most of the friends you have now.  You will want other officers as friends, so you can relax an know your back is covered".  Told to my brother in-law during the interview, which I sat in on.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
[url]www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1282/9_52/61892071/p1/article.jhtml?term=[/url]

"New York University law professor Paul Chevigny points out that in the long run, the police will be the biggest losers from police militarization and its accompanying mentality: "The police think of themselves as an occupying army, and the public comes to think the same. The police lose the connection with the public which is a principal advantage to local policing, and their job becomes progressively more difficult, while they become more unpopular."

An erosion of public confidence in the police has to be a matter of grave concern for anyone who cares about the future of law and order."

View Quote

That said it better than I could.  When cops started dressing in black with full face coverage, got the right to no-knock raids, get to keep the goods they confiscate (especially without having to prove the goods were ill-gotten gains) and so on, what do you expect.  The general public trusts the law enforcement community less and less, and the feeling is apparently mutual.  

Oh joy.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
To quote my own post elsewhere. When did "Peace Officers" serving the public become "Law Enforcment" concerned with enforcing the law and little else?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
[img]http://rongos.com/funnyshit/Image6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No...my attitude is simply that I get sick and tired of some of you people that take an incident and categorize all officers from that incident.  
View Quote

Quoted:
I am sick and tired of the many being branded by the mistakes of the few.
View Quote

it happens all the time.  and it isn't limited to a "cop vs. everybody" thing.  it's "gunowner vs. non-gunowner" thing.  it's a "old vs. young" thing.  it's a "man vs. woman" thing.  it's a "black vs. white" (or any other races) thing.

while i'll agree that stereotypes exist for a reason, i think it's foolhardy to lump all people together because of one common denominator.  the worst part is that once john doe starts stereotyping everybody within that group (whatever it may be) as behaving or believing in a certain way, john starts treating everyone within that group as if THEY behave or believe that way, even if they don't.  this WILL NOT elicit a positive response from any one in that group.  and pretty soon, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

for me personally, i want to thank the cop that heck, helped my friend out when she locked her keys in the car,even though he was already late for a meeting.  thank you, officer.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No...my attitude is simply that I get sick and tired of some of you people that take an incident and categorize all officers from that incident.  
View Quote

Quoted:
I am sick and tired of the many being branded by the mistakes of the few.
View Quote

it happens all the time.  and it isn't limited to a "cop vs. everybody" thing.  it's "gunowner vs. non-gunowner" thing.  it's a "old vs. young" thing.  it's a "man vs. woman" thing.  it's a "black vs. white" (or any other races) thing.

while i'll agree that stereotypes exist for a reason, i think it's foolhardy to lump all people together because of one common denominator.  the worst part is that once john doe starts stereotyping everybody within that group (whatever it may be) as behaving or believing in a certain way, john starts treating everyone within that group as if THEY behave or believe that way, even if they don't.  this WILL NOT elicit a positive response from any one in that group.  and pretty soon, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Can you say....uniform profiling???????                                     GUILTY until proven innocent  DAMMIT!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I watched a show on the holocaust on history channel the other night. They interviewed some of the survivors and former ss guards. the part I found interesting was some of the prisoners who worked as servants to the officers and guards said that when the germans took off their uniforms and put on civilian clothing for social events or whatever their attitudes changed somewhat and were actually polite to the servants. The ss guards were asked to comment on these observations and said that when the uniform went on, so did the mindset to go with it.
people who put on uniforms, not just leo's tend to assume a attitude of superiority when given a little power. I know several leo's personally and some as aquaintences, when I see the guys I know well they act friendly but the others act as though they have never met me untill I see them again out of uniform.
these are just observations but leo's need to remember who they work for and who pays their salary and for their toys. I dont think any other employer would put up with the treatment that some leo's show theirs.
We know you have families and put your ass on the line for us, but you dont bite the hand that feeds you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Got no use for cops.  You fu**ing bunch of AS**OLES have no sense of humor.  Why don't you go jerk-off and play with your pretty lights and sirens.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought this was funny...
 "Next time you get paid, look at how much of your check you actually got to keep, compared to how much you earned. Then ask yourself who works for who?"

I think what a lot of people forget is that LE are people to. They often reflect the attitude of those who they pull over. If, when being pulled over, you have an attitude of being an A** hole then expect to be treated like one. So before you cast the first stone, think first about yourself first. Am I being polite and respectful to the officer? A rookie, will pick up on your attitude and reflect it back to you.... this is just human nature.  What I find funny is I group in a small town with my father as the Chief of Police.  Obvioulsy, I couldn't do anything in this town without the father finding out.  I had the occasional run ins with the police growing up and some of them talked to me harsh and said some rude things to me.  Did I take it personal?  NO...and the simple reason is because I deserved it and look how good I turned out.  

Now that I am in a more friendly mood I will say that tact in the deliver of what I had to say did need some refining.  But as for what I said I don't regret it at all.  Several people on here harp on LEO's.  I'm just curious why that is?  We get treated like crap weekly by other people we deal with.  Maybe it's just me but I see more cop bashing threads than bashing some of our idiot politicians except for maybe Bill and Hillary Klinton.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top