Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 1:35:38 PM EDT
I was just shooting mine this morning in the garage and wondered who on this board owns airguns, what kind, why you own them, how often you shoot....
Pistols-.177 IZH53 , gamoP23, Colt .45 .177cal.Rifles-daisy 1170, .22hercules b-18, b3(china 19.95) I made a trap with electrician's putty and teach my kid to shoot as well as for those days/nights at home instead of at the range. BTW the colt/umarex .45 is fun to practice with.

By the way, you wouldn't mind a home visit by the Brady-Stein UNilateral survey team just to verify accuracy of your info would you?

"If you have nothing to hide, why not just let us in?"
[url]www.airguns.net[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
a .177 pistol for birds and indoor
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a pump Benjimin single shot .177, a Crossman(?) that looks like a Baretta 92F, a Walther P99.  I can shot them when I can't get to the range.  I also use them to teach my children safe gun handling without the need for hearing protection.  Plus it is some real cheap fun.  These guns are fairly powerful since they can penetrate a Campbell soup.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A 177.cal rifle used it to pick off dogs,possum,raccoons and coyotes. I had it because it made less noise then my 22. and did not have to worry as much if the bullet missed its target because the trees would slow it down before it got to the house behind me. I just scared off the coyotes when it hit them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
A nice cheap Crossman for teaching the little ones about gun safety and shooting properly. Also does wonders to those pesky neighborhood vermin, at least until I get a silencer for my BM.
Ice
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a BB gun to shoo away the squirrels that get in the garden and in the bird feeders.

It's nice and quiet, and the squirrels are surprised that I can pump so much steel at them so quickly- they scatter and don't come back for hours- unless it's winter, where the pickings are slim for the little b@$^&@*$, so they are forever coming back in wave after wave of rodent assaults.. :^)

I am truly amazed at how many BBs can go into a squirrel, and it doesn't seem to faze them. (Maybe I should put up big magnets under the bird feeder to really deter them... :^O)

As I am in MA and in suburbia, using an AR or any other firearm to dispatch pests is verboten....I might try subsonic Colibri .22 rds. in a little rifle- too bad they don't cycle in an AR with a .22 conversion. kit! :^)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Beeman Rx-2 .20 caliber pellet rifle equipped with a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 mm scope.  It is highly accurate and uses a closed cylinder of air that is re-compressed for each shot.  No springs to wear out.

I have shot black birds, rabbits, crows and even a raccoon with this rifle so far.  It is awsome and legal to shoot where I live.  But it is louder than my suppressed Ruger M-77 and it cost more, but it is legal to shoot.

I also have a Feinwerkbau side lever cocking .177 caliber match pellet pistol. I have shot black birds, squirrels and a rabbit with this weapon so far.  It is a blast to shoot.

I use both for practice at home.  The more you shoot the better at it you become.  And it is a cheap and easy way to practice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Cheap $40 Crossman with $7.00 scope.  Groups the size of a dime at 30 feet.  Fun to practice marksmanship skills in the basement.  Great for backyard pest removal.  250 pellets about $2.00.  Great to teach my 7-year old on.  Quite report so the neighbors don't call the cops on me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Beeman-Webley Vulcan .177 was my first "real" airgun.  Significant power gain over a Crosman 766.  Bought it as a blemished gun in 1981.  

Beeman RX-1 .20 was a Christmas present a few years ago.  Great for short range plinking fun w/o disturbing neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot stike anywhere matches through mine. Lites them up and they fly like little tracer rounds. Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Crossman 2600  cheapo tasco 4power  22 scope....about 13 pumps, knocks the gray squirrels off the roof quite nicely..[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Daisy 880,I bought on my lunch our in high school.Wore out a Crossman760 that I recieved for Christmas.If anyone runs across a working 760 with a brass bolt let me know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/79a63ee9/bc/My+Photos/Airgun.jpg?bcsYGi7A7uZJxJpA[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
A friend of mine just bought an Israeli Eagle. It looks just like a desert eagle, same size, same weight, removable magazine, pulling the slide cocks the gun. It's crazy how real it looks. It's good for plinking boxes and pigeons.  I use it more than he does.

Mikie[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
It's funny that you bring this up. It was only Saturday when this little beauty caught my eye at WalMart.
[img]daisy.ifware.com/graphics/pl_p_400gx.jpg[/img]

I had to buy it!!!
That's right, a full sized Desert Ego, gold plated and everything! It's CO2 powered, and the slide reciprocates with every shot.

I've gone through 4 CO2 cartriges, and I haven't even put any BBs in it yet. This thing is so much fun!!

Really, for $30 I couldn't say no.

I've got probably 7 air guns total, a few handguns, an 880, and one of those Chinese deals from the gunshow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Benjamin rifle and an older Benjamin pistol. They are great for practice. I just got the pistol recently and find I can hit dog food cans out to 30 yards or more fairly consistently once I find the number of pumps to give the right trajectory.

After shooting airguns, "real" firearms can be a little frustrating to plink with. The higher velocity bullets will pass right through a can without any sign of moving it on a good hit, whereas the airgun really makes them jump. It makes for more leg work to go down and see what the heck is going on.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I finally bought my first air rifle last weekend. Its a cheap Crosman 760 that I got for $35 at Big 5 (it came with a red dot sight).

Its a fun little 'toy' to use indoors and to scare off the damn crows that wake me up in the mornings.

Really though, when you go from buying a real gun like an AR15 to buying an air rife you're taking a leap back. I felt weird buying it, I really did. I dunno why.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Got my first bb gun as a b-day present from Dad at age 5. Suddenly the backyard, usually bustling with the sounds of busy birds, was eerily quiet, and we never saw the cat again. But seriously, this was the beginning of my fascination with copper/lead projectile systems. My father, an ex-Marine, was keen to instruct me on gun safety/handling.

Got a Webley-Vulcan at age 8. Then a Diana handgun and later a Diana rifle. Gotta hand it to them Germans for crafting some fine airguns.

Primarily used for bird eradication and dealing with those pesky cats that leave their scent all over the place. Good, clean fun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#19]
bigpig; don't feel wierd about it unless you traded an AR for it! Incase ya'll don't know, there are "gun laws" for airguns too. In England you are restricted in the power your gun can have (no hunting there), and I think the same goes in Canada (anyone know?). So far here in the U.S. it's seems to be mostly local laws thrown up after someone takes out a window somewhere or someone gets hit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Treetop, where can I get one?  I want to play!!  

[pistol]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#21]
My pellet gun is a Sheridan BlueStreak.  It is a 5mm pellet, and the sumbitch shoots like a .22LR up to 85-90 yards.  I have shot many squirrels and pigeons with it over the years.  Nice and quiet, too.

I also have a wrist-rocket-type slingshot, by Crossman . . . works really great with .68 caliber black powder rifle balls, but that is for a future post.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I own a Beeman R-9, and I try to shoot it as often as possible.

Why I own it -

1. Practice for highpower competitions
2. Not noisy
3. Can shoot it anywhere - in the garage, on the deck, etc.
4. Dispatching snakes in the house.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
.177 Crossman for my neighbor's cat, who would not stop jumping on and sliding across my wife's newly waxed BMW, digging into the paint down to the primer coat.

Kitty cat now lives in Kitty Heaven.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Why!!

Cats plain and simple....that will teach them to crap in my rose garden!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Beeman-Webly Tempest in .177, it recoils back like a firearm and is an excellent training aid.
RWS 36 rifle in .177, the first time I shot this thing it wennt straight thru the coffee can target and blew a dime sized hole in the 5/8" plywood backstop I was using, thank heavens there was a block wall behind that!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a BSA SuperSport, (.177).This is not a toy; it shoots just over 1000fps. I use it to quietly eliminate backyard pests. A squirrel at forty yards is no problem. They drop dead.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Beaman Nemesis pistol which I shoot in the garage when I can't go outside to play.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Gamo 440 in .177, for squirrels at the feeder, chucks in the garden, training youth... and cheap fodder. Although I have been using my single-shot .22 with CBee shorts a lot lately for the woodchucks
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Several. I have an AIR-15. That is an Air Rifle that looks like an early AR-15. I use it for practicing inside. I place empty glass bottles above a box to catch the debris and practice quick entry and firing. I also practice with another that looks like a Glock 19. This one uses CO2 and is very powerful for an airgun. It will obliterate a bottle. Another one looks like a Beretta M92. Finally, a stndard pump Air Rifle I've had since I was 16. I use the AIR-15, Glock Knockoff, and Beretta Knockoff for shooting bottles. I see how well I shoot in a split second, without time to aim. This tunes skills in Quick Draw, Rapid Target Acquisition, and Self-Defense/Home Protection. If I can hit the bottle without taking time to aim and acquire, I should be better off In general, should I need my gun in an instant. Oh yeah, my old place used to have a Rat. I nailed the sucker right in the side of his head with a pellet. He ran behind a dresser and disappeared. A few days later it began to stink. I realized he hadn't made it but a couple feet before dropping dead. When I found the Rat, part of the side of his head was messed up from the pellet. There hasn't been a Rat in there since. He was probably the only one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey, cc48510, who makes the Air15? I've seen pictures of one but I'm not sure where to find one. This runs off a tank right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I dont know why you are complaining, thats good fertilizer.

Six
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Actually the AIR-15 was made by crossman about 10 to 15 years ago, they discontinued it after becuase it looked to much like the real thing. it is actually a pump type gun. The pumping action of it required you to move the handguards its a nice looking gun. I was just wondering what were the sights like on it.

I my self have a Gamo 440 in .177 I bought it about 3 years ago. It was the first thing I bought when I got a real pay check for the first time when I got done with school. Its accurate and powerful. I used to use it to shoot everyday just for practice. I really miss shooting it. It had the best trigger in world on it.

Six
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a scoped RWS Model 52 that fires a 177 at 1100 FPS. More accurate than my 22's and is just fun to shoot. Also weighs as much as my 30-06. No toy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Six
View Quote

[-!-] you both
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys, please, if you are looking for good airguns to simulate your real steel pistols or AR's, check into airsoft.  I took my M4A1 into the gunstore and even after holding it and looking at the markings, playing with levers and such, the guy behind the counter asked me how the hell I could afford/get an M4A1 like this.  Had you seen the look on his face when my other two friends pulled out their Steyr AUG and PSG1 airsoft relpicas, you would have crapped your pants.

Same thing with my Wilson Combat Service Grade and SV INFINITY 5 inch, and my new Beretta 92fs.  They are IDENTICAL.  when I brought in what would normally be 3000 dollars worth of .45's and set them on the counter, about 6 people crowded around to look at them.  Not one could tell they were fake.  

They even have the correct markings on them but come with putty over them and orange markings, unless of course you know where to look :-).

Can't wait to see the look on their faces when I bring in the MK23 next time.

The pistols also work exactly like their real steel counterparts.  Fill up your magazine with gas and BB's, insert it into the pistol, rack the slide, and every time you fire, the slide flies back just like the real pistol (nothing ejects though).  To top it off, the after the last round is spent, the slide locks back, the same way the real ones do.  The beretta's de-cocker even works.

After upgrading my M4A1, its now in the price range of a real AR, but stock, they cost around 3-400 and are select fire BB guns.  My M4 shoots 6mm BB's at 430 FPS at 1000 shots a minute on a 12v'er.

PLEASE email me if you are interested.  I do not sell airsoft guns, but I can direct you to people who do, and I will tell you un-biased opinions on models and get you started if you want.  It is truely amazing to see these replicas, my airsoft Beretta 92FS is IDENTICAL to my real Beretta 92FS, right down to the markings and logos.

[email protected]

PS, if you want pictures of ANY of the airsoft models, I have them available to me on my computer, but I cannot post them all. (mainly because I dont know how)  But I will email them to you if you are intersted
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Six
View Quote

Actually the CATS make better fertilizer...you just have to bury them deep or they smell worse than the Cat shit!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I have two RWS air pistols, a 6G and a 6M. Both recently discontinued by RWS.
Adjustable sights, replaceable front sight, recoiless mechanism, fully adjustable grips and a lifetime warranty.
At 10 meters with quality pellets it will make nice little groups.

What is not to like?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got a gamo that shoots around 1050 fps.  Here in our poorly governed city on the Ohio river, along with our more obvious problems, we have an abundance of garbage picking polit.., er  possums and racoons, and the gamo does a very clean and speedy job of dispatching them, especially with haeavy hollow point pellets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#39]
RWS .177 pellet rifle, 1000fps.  Control the outlandish squirrel, starling and occasionally crow population in the neighborhood.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I still have the Crossman my dad gave me years ago.  I can't use it outdoors anymore because of all the new houses in the neighborhood.  Right now I'm looking at an RWS, probably the 48, for indoor target practice.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#41]
If anybody ants to try a good pellet go with Beemans Crow Magnums. Nice hollow point design and accurate too.

Six
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Blowguns are fun to shoot cat's with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top