Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2001 9:44:51 PM EDT
Anybody know anything about them?

I just picked one up for $1100. 98% gun, preban, 20" SS barrel, flattop, interesting flash suppressor/brake design, good trigger.

Rifle has been shot, but not abused, no signs of throat erosion, rifling is sharp and clean, no noticeable burrs when running a patch through it. I'll take it out for some exercise next weekend. Need to get some rings to throw a scope on it.

Any feedback, for good or nil about these rifles? I've owned a couple of preban EA-15 carbines, but while I had heard of the Action Master, I don't remember much about them. I'd really like confirmation on the twist; it appears to be either a 1/8 or a 1/9.

David<
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It is a excellent rifle. It is now different with sights but the friend I bought it from would shoot some ridiculsly small groups at 1000 yd.s with surplus ammo and a Springfield scope. Im about to sell it and already missing it! Im not sure of the twist but it may be 1-8.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have one. It is a excellent rifle. It is now different with sights but the friend I bought it from would shoot some ridiculsly small groups at 1000 yd.s with surplus ammo and a Springfield scope. Im about to sell it and already missing it! Im not sure of the twist but it may be 1-8.This one is 16 in. and had the SS muzzle brake with the SS barrel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Twist is 1:9

As an owner, I think Eagles are every bit as good as Armies and Bushies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Original muzzle break should have 3 vertically slanted slots...It is known as a Recoil Check,Tapered IPSC style in Armalites catalog.

Does your Action Master have a fiberglass freefloat handguard and long picatinny front sight base/gas block or does it have the aluminum handguard with the faucet shaped steel gas block??

Does the muzzle break come off?? IF it is pinned on you do not have a pre ban!!!

In the '97 catalog Armalite has a POST ban M15A4 Action Master listed for $1175..Has NM Two Stage Trigger, 1:9 twist heavy bbl with NM fiberglass free float handguard and picatinny front sight base/gas block
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The gun has a Coal Valley marked lower, serial number in the 10xxx range, which according to the Armalite site is well within the preban range. I haven't sprung for the $25 for a letter.

Muzzle break is screwed on, though I haven't tried to unscrew it. It has two large oval holes on the sides and three small ports on the top. In design it looks like a compensator you would have found in an IPSC gun in the late 80's- early 90's. If I get a chance I'll post a picture later today.

No Picatinny rail, either on the flattop, or the front site base as the design predates the adoption of that standard. The flattop takes a Weaver-ring, but the design is definitely not Picatinny. Very long aluminium freefloat handguard, standard gasblock with the front site/kug milled off.

The barrel is full diameter up to the point where it meets the gas block.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a picture of the muzzle brake for those who were interested:

[img]http://www.supercharger.net/private/brake.jpg[/img]

Any opinions? Is this not the brake it was shipped with?

David<
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]
DavidC,

Make sure that your muzzle break is threaded on and that it can come off...Normally, you should not see any discoloration in the bluing on the bottom of it...That would indicate a weld mark You do not want it to be welded on...as you wouldn't have a rifle configured as an assault weapon under the '94 law...

Check out the pic below....It is of an Early Eagle Arms rifle(Pre-Armalite)..Your muzzle break looks exactly like the one in the pic...SO it should be what was shipped with your rifle from the factory...The rifle in the pics is an early Eagle Arms which does not have the milspec picatinny flat top...Notice how the flat top rail is slotted all the way to the back(can be seen in the pic at the bottom left)..SO I guess it is a weaver rail...The rifle below looks like an Action Master except for the front sight which might be a custom job...
[img]http://pictures.auctionarms.com/June/EA-Match.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top