Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2001 5:35:09 AM EDT
I had to go to a two year old's birthday party yesterday and so me and my girlfriend stopped in at Toys-R-Us before the party to pick up a gift.  Have you guys seen the frickin' GI Joes that they make these days?  I could not believe how cool some of that sh*t is.  They make an AR that looks awesome- has Trijicon optics, collapsable stock, M4 upper, tac sling, detachable mag- and the thing is tiny.  WTF?  Why couldn't they make that stuff when I was young?  Kids have it made nowadays.  

They had cool looking AKs with detachable mags (hi-caps of course), MK-19 grenade launchers that actually propel the grenade, sniper rifles with detachable mags and optics- I was in AWE!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Now if they could only make life size toys like that again...

I want a Mattel M-16 Marauder! You know those damned things sell for $300 and up on e-bay? Sheez!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, they definitely have better toys nowadays. Have you ever seen those GI Joe scale Shermans, ME-109s, Mustangs and Jeeps? I saw them at Toys-r-Us and I was tempted.

The only thing that was better in the old days is that it seems the old plastic toy soldiers are better molded than the ones nowadays.

Oh, if I only kept them along with my plastic cowboys and Indians and those 1:72 scale tanks.

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#4]
YUP the kids TOYS have cool guns, but the kids can't have toy guns.

BTW the GI Joe has Crap for guns.  Its Ultimate Soldier that has the totally detailed guns.  I have a bunch of AKS, M-16, and Shotguns.
The Aks have slings, detatchable mags with bullets in them(the 5.45 DOES NOT fit in the 7.62x39 guns), folding stocks.  The M-16s have folding stocks detachable mags with bullets, extra mags, Beta Mags, Silencer.
The Shotgun's pump actions work(not the bolt just the pump) the Stocks fold.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell ya thou toys are cool I got my nepheW the anti-PC pack of guns just the other day. It had a saWed of 12 ga ,1911 acp W/silencer, Beretta w/silencer, folding stock AK-47 hi-cap mag, M-16 w/hi cap mags, FAL,Glock (this one kind of surprised me that they had it.)M1 grand ,M1 carbine.M98K and a lot of other stuff but to top it off I had to give him the sniper package it had a Remington M24 308, M21 308, the H&K sniper rifle and a few others it was so cool some had night vision scopes on them. Also they came in different camo. It was so cool I want them now.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I suppose it's from the Ultimate Soldier folks, but there's an M-5 Stuart tank destroyer that's unbelievable.  There's also a Bradley IFV that's as nicely made as the Stuart.

I heard from the dealer that they're getting ready to release a German Tiger tank in the same scale.

If I'd have had these toys when I was a kid, I'd still be in the backyard!

Eric The(EmotionallyStunted)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh I don't know, I had a pretty nice collection of cap guns as a kid. A 1911 with a working slide, break top revolver, several Colt SAA replicas, Luger, P-38, Win. 1894, Rem. derringer . . .

I'd take them to school. Fifth grade teacher turned me onto Shooter's Bible from the school library. Do that today and you go to Juvenile Hall.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
YUP the kids TOYS have cool guns, but the kids can't have toy guns.
BISHOP
View Quote

Roger that!!!!  We used to run all over the neighborhood "shooting" at each other.  Painting our faces in camo, god how fun was that?  Remember metal tipped lawn darts?  we used those as grenades!  The good ole days... When you didn't have to wear dorky bike helmet and Grandpap cleaned your cuts out with Mercurochrome(sp).  That red stuff in a glass bottle and the glass dabber on the lid.  Man that shit hurt!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]
ultimate soldier is awsome i like the "Bad Guy" series they make i need to get me the Terroriest and one of the SWAT guys
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BTW the GI Joe has Crap for guns.  Its Ultimate Soldier that has the totally detailed guns.  

BISHOP
View Quote

Your probably right, it was all such a blur and I was losing blood from my vital organs (except for one) at a rapid rate!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you seen the G.I. Joe Bradley Fighting Vehicle. It is cool as sh*t costs about $250.00 at Toys are us. They have an OH-6 scout helo and a Fast Attack Vehicle as well. The Bradley is about 2 1/2 feet long and about 18 inches high holds 11 G.I. Joes if remember correctly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I never had a GI Joe growing up.... :(  
But my wife and my son started buying them for me 5 years ago. Now I have the Harley, the Jeep and 15 Joes. LOL I am 48, I am not allowed to take them out of the box though, a wife can be worse than a mother. As for the ultimate soldier, I have issues, they use the wrong vehicles. The German bike is V twin, not a boxer, The American 'jeep in a tub' is German. And they are not Joes!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Opps, I have the Viet Nam Nurse. And was thinking about a Barbie camp follower
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Those things are awesome, esp the Ultimate Soldier line.  There was also another line they carried at WalMart and Target that was called Soldiers of the World.  They had them for all different time periods; Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, etc.  I've got a couple of American Revolution figures on my mantle.  I've also got a GI Joe "Teddy Roosevelt" in Rough Rider uniform up there.  

I've also got the whole line of AR weapons in small scale: M16, M16A1, M16A2, M16A2 w/M203, XM-177, and M4 w/M203.  They all have slings, the collapsible stocks collapse, the magazines are removable, the action on the M203s opens and closes, etc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
The Ultimate Soldier stuff is incredibly cool.  I bought my son a scale WWII Jeep last year for Christmas.  The GI Joe has an M16A1 and M16A2.  The sights are correct as are the handguards.  

The best was a full-scale tank they had at Toys R' Us.  The friggin' thing was $299.99 and was the size of a desk!  The funniest part was that all the people looking that them were guys like me in their mid-30's, bitching to their wives about not having toys like this when we were kids!  

I remember 25+ years ago and a friend of mine and I would invade a dirt pile with about a 1,000 little green plastic soldiers.  We had tanks, landing craft, planes and of course on top of the dirt pile was the "Guns of Navarone".  Funny that we both grew up to be responsible adults and not violent criminals.

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone seen those remote control tanks with an airsoft BB gun for the main armament? I wanted to build one of those when I was young. Instead of the plastic cannon, I wanted to substitute a brass pipe. The pipe was just thick enough to hold a firecracker snugly. I pop a firecracker in one end and a BB in the other end. Lit the fuse and bam. Not much muzzle velocity however.

I also remember using BB guns to shoot at my model tanks. It really proved to me that sloping armour is more effective than straight armour. The BBs would sometimes not penetrate the sloped armour but it always penetrated the flat parts of the tank.

Another thing we did was to cut a cap (for a cap gun) and glue it onto a .177 pellet tip. The cap sometimes did went off when the pellet struck a hard object.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top