Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 1:06:50 AM EDT
Is it that big of a deal if you put down you SSN on the 4473 form? I mean hell, they have everything BUT that. And I'm sure if the feds wanted to find you they could do it without that. Couldn't they just get your SSN from the info provided anyways? Just curious.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes they can easily get your SSN from many other sources.  If I understand correctly, the main reason for asking for the SSN is because there could be someone else with your exact same name and possibly birthdate.  This other person may have felonies that might prevent you from getting the firearm, at least that's my understanding of the whole deal.

Even though I have a somewhat unique name and it is optional I always give them my SSN.  After all, they probably know more about me then I do anyway, so what's the point in trying to hide it?

sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
sgtAR15 is right. The only reason to give a SSN is in case there is someone else out there with a felony convction with your name.
I have a [red]very[/red] unique first name, and a rather unique last name, yet a Yahoo People search yeilded 5 other people with the exact same name.
I still don't give my SSN because that is they way they will database you.
By SSN, not by name....for that very reason.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure they can get it from somewhere else.  But why make it easy for them?  They ask for it in the NICs check.  Which means they instantly put in their computer database.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As McUzi said. Only when I do a Yahoo search I find 58 of 'ME'. Odds are one of me has something to, at least, delay a transaction.

Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I did a Google search of my strange name, and found out I was a recreation director in Idaho, a doctor in Colorado, and an engineer with his own website.  I even have my own toll free number I didn't know I had.

Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Its only a big deal if you make it one. Hell, I put mine on whats the big deal? none.
GG
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
i did a google search on my name doesnt help with a really common first name and a not to rare last name so im got to put my SSN down
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sure they can get it from somewhere else.  But why make it easy for them?  They ask for it in the NICs check.  Which means they instantly put in their computer database.
View Quote

I work part time selling guns. When you run the NICS check in Pa. you actually call the Pa. State Police. Normally you just get the computer. You input the DRIVERS LICENSE number into the phone pad, the computer comes back with the name and the SSN of the buyer, they already have the SSN linked to your drivers license number. If you get the operator after dialing in the DL he/she asks you to read the SSN, they already have it on screen.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
So why do all the liberals want gun registration ?

Sounds to me like it's already in place...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
For us folks here in the PRK(Peoples' Republik of Kalif.) "they" already have linked your social security number and driver's license.  About 5 years ago, the Federal/State legislature passed a law that you "optionally" supply your SSN for renewing your driver's license, of course if you didn't, no license; the old "velvet glove in the iron fist" approach.  AND Calif. DMV at that time, never verified my SSN, anyways the people at DMV inputted my SSN wrong, and took me 3 months to straighten it out.  Today Calif. DMV verifies with the Social Security Admin files that the SSN you supplied is correct, and the name corresponds.  WATCH OUT!  BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU AND THEY KNOW WHERE YOU ARE LIVING.  But why make it any easier for those people just "following orders."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top