Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Mall security?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey mikie,
Hate to burst your bubble but that signing bonus probably isnt gonna be quite what you expected. I was promised 12K when I enlisted nuke in the Navy way back in october. As of yet I havent seen a penny, the max possible has gone down to 8K and then you still gotta bend over for the taxes when you finally do get it. Trust me, I had made the same plans for my bonus but I ended up having to fork out for a DPMS all put of my base pay. So until you actually see the credit on your L.E.S. (paystub) don't go spending money you don't have. Worry about getting through boot camp first(no reason to worry actually),then you go get your tack-driver. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Mikie,

All the USAF vets here are correct.  The sign-on bonuses are stretched out quite a bit.  I had to wait until I was in my thirties to get my dream rifle (AR10T), after many years in the USAF myself.  I got by very well on Savage bolt guns until then, and still do.  I must say, the FN Police rifle and a good scope sounds like a tempting combo.  My pennies worth of advice is to get the bolt gun and bank the money you can.  Good luck in the USAF.  Make us proud.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey dude I don't know about you, but there is a short fraction of a second of time after I fire where I am still dead on my target, if I miss that fraction I have to resight, if not I pull the trigger. I can shoot a semi-auto much more accurately than a bolt action in groups of three rounds because of that. This is just a thing about me. I would Choose a Browning BAR with the Boss_CR which stabilizes the barrel but does not increase noise or redirect muzzle blast. .308 caliber, .270win something with good accuracy. just my two cents. Bolt actions are great too!
I am also just out of High school.
[sniper]
-Chuck
I spend my money on cheaper guns
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My final thought (after much rambling) - if you MUST get something really expensive and cool - get the Barrett semi-automatic .50 rifle for God's sake.  I think that'll run about 8 or 9 thousand with a good scope.  That is so far cooler than any of the other fancy-smancy rifles you are thinking about!  [:D]
View Quote

I would NEVER buy a Barrett semi. The Swedish army bought a bunch of them and now we can't use them anymore - the sears are too F**king soft. Of course if you want a gun that might slamfire on you - hey, that's the way to go. I also don't like the feel of them, and the muzzle brake flat out sucks (sure, it does it's job, but it'll kick up all the shit around you like nothing else - dead give away of your location.) I'd go for a McMillan 50 or maybe a Robar (the robar actions, muzzle brakes, and stocks are manufactured by the McMillan family - stocks by McMillan Fiberglass Stocks and the actions and muzzle brakes by McMillan Bros. Rifle Co.)
View Quote

Man, I totally agree that it is completely devoid of almost any practical value - and that is exactly why I want one so badly.  McUZI and I are totally on the same page here.

Like huge muscle cars and giant breasts on women - you want them because they are so freakishly cool, not because they are useful.  [:D]
View Quote

No, you got me wrong - I'd love to buy a McBros Single Shot Shellholder (they are made few and far between) in 50 cal, it's just that the Barrett feels cheap when you hold it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Hangfire-LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Mikie- look at the Remington 700P w/ 24" barrel. I'm looking for my first bolt action/sniper wannabe rifle also. The 700's are classic and the current USMC sniper rifle brand.

Also, go for the SP. I'm an MP. Thought about SP in high school(only two years ago) but decided on army.  Air force sleeps inside while we're in a tent!lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of performance and accuracy can you get out of a $13,000 gun that you can't get out of a $1000 gun? I shot a five shot, 1/2" group at 200 yards today, with a Ruger HB M77 in .308. I have a $500 Leupold Scope on a $450 rifle. What will I get for another $12,000? 1/4" group?

I know expensive toys will get all sorts of people to blow smoke up your ass at the range, but is a smokey ass worth $12,000? Not to me. I'd rather by and old Harley Davidson FLH with the money, and use the Ruger for my sniping. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have already changed my decision on a 13,000 dollar rifle. NO way jose. The Remington 700PSS or a variation of it is looking pretty tempting with a good scope. How's a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 4-16X50mm scope sound on a Rem. 700 PSS in .308??? I saw it somewhere and it was a beautiful rifle. I don't see why the air force advertises a "signing" bonus, when you don't get jack, like everyone said, for years afterward. MP, were you talking about gettin into the special police or what?? I'm tryin to get into OCS so I can be a security officer instead of just a security apprentice. What does everyone think about my thoughts??
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Urbanrifleman,
Great observations and advice! [beer]

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#11]
bolt gun in .308 or 300win....less moving parts ez to maintain.repeatable,dependable accuate,simple.....shoot and scoot....live for another day/
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#12]
bolt gun in .308 or 300win....less moving parts ez to maintain.repeatable,dependable accuate,simple.....shoot and scoot....live for another day
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Mikie, have you done much long range shooting?  You might want to invest some money in a rifle class at someplace like Gunsite so you'll know what you want before you spend the big bucks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
As far I know the SIG SWAT 551 costs about 2000 dollar. And it is definitely a nice gun.

Greetz

Psy
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Mikie - I agree with most of what has been posted. $13k on a gun at your age and stage in life is a WASTE! Even if you had it to spend it would still be a waste. Why? Because you would be a spoiled brat and not appreciate what you had. :)

Didn't one of the greatest snipers of all time (Carlos Hatchcock) use a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06? Inexpensive rifle but the shooter is the key. Always has been and always will be.

If you plan on sniping in the military I doubt they will make you buy your own weapon.

Invest the bucks and then in 20+ years you can brag here on AR15.com about the 30 sniping rifles that you have and all of the youngsters will drool and want to be just like you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Mikie:
Going to the Fourth of July Tennessee Black Rifle Group shoot? I'll have my .308 Rem 700P, and you're welcome to put a few downrange if you can make it. It's a sweet set-up, just ask Greentimber [;)]

I have about $2400 into it, and it will shoot 3/8 groups at 100yds (maybe better, but that's my best so far...)

(details on the shoot can be found in the Meetings and Events forum)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yo Mikie,
Go OCS! Even better go AFROTC if you can get the scholarship. I did NROTC on my own for a little while (the Navy messed up my scholarship paperwork) and I still had a blast! I'm not saying that enlisting is bad, but if you can make officer more power to ya. Trust me it's the best way to go.
Also, that Robar is a sweet gun, don't forget to look in its direction.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been looking at a SIG SG550 Sniper rifle completely customized with tactical grips, Adjustable stock and cheekpiece, Leupold scope, and a few more goodies. Does anybody have any good or bad thoughts on it?? Or should I go bolt-action??

Mikie[sniper]
View Quote

Yah, sure, thats a little like sticking a 16 year old behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car for his driving test.  That particular rifle is for experts and fools, so pick your calling.  I also guess it depends on whether you want to collect rifles or [i]really[/i]learn to shoot.  If you really want to learn to shoot, buy a good bolt action rifle like a Remington 700 Varmint Special, cost you all of about $700.  Put a good, and I mean good scope on it; weirdly enough, Tasco 'Super Snipers' are pretty good knock offs of a $900 Leupold Mark IV and can be had for $300 at [url]http://www.SWFA.com[/url]. Get a Badger Ordanance one piece scope mount from Brownells at [url]http://www.brownells.com[/url] Pick an easy caliber to get good ammo for, like .223 or .308; I recommend the .308.  For a total investment of about $1200, you will have a rifle that will shoot as well as the Steyr.  Now if you want a toy with bells and whistles, get the Steyr, but I guarantee you won't know what to do with half the adjustable crap.  In my opinion, you'd do better to buy a good Harley with the $13K, you'll get more chicks that way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top