Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2001 5:55:40 PM EDT
I keep reading about the Israeli soldiers shooting rubber coated steel bullets at the Palestinians. I bet that would leave a mark.

Does anyone know anything about these bullets ? It seems like they would really gum up a barrel. I wonder what kind of range they have. Do they penetrate skin or clothing ? I couldn't find them in the Sierra catalog. [:D]

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, but I heard on today's news that now we're going to be shooting rubber bullets at Mexican nationals crossing the border.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know they were coated steel I thought they were just rubber. I don't think they would penetrate skin because obviously they're using them as non-lethals and they probably have a small charge behind them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh I get it now. Thanx for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Chairborne Ranger:
I dunno, but I heard on today's news that now we're going to be shooting rubber bullets at Mexican nationals crossing the border.
View Quote

We gettin low on M855?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
the stuff the israelis where using were essenltly rubbet coated steel balls that at close range were penitrating skin hell at close range a beanbag round can penetrate. ah yeah there is no such thing as non lethal ammo it can still kill just isnt ment to

please pardon my spelling
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a vague recollection of an incident in Northern Ireland several years ago where an older woman was blinded after being shot in the face with a rubber bullet by a British solder.  She was looking out the window of her home and apparently the soldier didn’t like the way she was looking at him.  

I got the impression he was close to her.  The problem with rubber bullets is that they have low mass and high drag resulting in high velocity loss.  To be reasonably effective at 50 or 100 yards, they really have to come whistling out of the launcher!  However, I also recall reports of Palestinian kids losing eyes to rubber bullets.

Rubber coated steel balls are, I believe, sometimes fired out of grenade or tear gas launchers – something akin to buckshot in a shotgun.

(OBTW: I’m not trying to start anything – I’m not a partisan in either of the above disputes.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top