Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2001 9:58:50 AM EDT
What is the closest distance you would stand to shoot steel targets safely, using handguns in a combat course?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
10 yards minimum is the standard of USPSA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It would depend on what I was wearing.
Buck naked vs the type of full body armor the clowns that did the No Hollywood bank robbery were wearing.

Seriously, It depends on a number of things.  Check out this article.  It's pretty good.

[url]http://www.actiontarget.com/Reactive_Steel.htm[/url]

Edited to make it clickable
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
This will depend on the particular target you are shooting.  For most steel with a perpindicular face, 10 yards is a good number.  There are some steel targets that have an angled face which is designed to direct the fragments downward, allowing you to shoot with the targets very close.  This assumes that you are shooting handgun rounds (9, 40, 45) and not rifle rounds.  I know that some of the Black Water targets can be shot as close as 7 yards.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Is "Blackwater" a manufacturer or a style of target? I have portable steel by Speedwell (excellent but expensive) and Arntzen (also excellent and much more affordable).
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Much depends on a large number of variables.  The type of steel, the shape it is in, what you are shooting (caliber), the design of the bullet, etc.  If you know what yo are doing, you can shoot steel at 2 yards without trouble.  If you do it wrong, you can still get hit with the steel set at 50 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top