BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Since you're the expert, I have a question. Fatties always whine about the media brainwashing us guys into thinking fat chicks aren't hot.  They imply this change happened recently.  When, in the history of print & motion pictures, did they show a bunch of fatties, if ever? Thanks!

Fatties are Teh Suck
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
very well done steyrAUG and very interesting.
thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since you're the expert, I have a question. Fatties always whine about the media brainwashing us guys into thinking fat chicks aren't hot.  They imply this change happened recently.  When, in the history of print & motion pictures, did they show a bunch of fatties, if ever? Thanks!

get an art history book or google rubens or botecelli (sp?)
dont know about print but some of the early film babes seemed to me zoftic.
near the turn or the last century breasts were flattened with corsets, bussels accentuated what was considered the attractive femine aspect- and calves were not shown. ever hear of the victorian era? what is attractive or offensive changes. for instance i hear from my step kids that a rather plump ass is considered quite attractive today. big booty. i'll pass.

I love big booty. And I cannot lie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Great post.  Thanks for the pics.  

Keep going with this!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Props to the amount of work put in to that post.  Oustanding!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff! I bet it was hard work watching all those provocative movies .

This also serves to dispel one of my least favorite myths - that the past was some perfect, rosy place, where we had every freedom you could think of, everything was clean and polite, and everything's going to hell now. With this evidence, we see that the turn of the century had movies just as explicit as anything we could think up now, and that we have never really changed at all in that respect. Which brings me to my thesis and guiding philosoply:

We are living in the Golden Ages. Pretty much everything is better now then it has ever been before. Every measure of standard of living has been increasing steadily worldwide for at least a century, if not longer. The state of worldwide freedom is better then it has ever been before, and looks like it will get even better in the years to come. Not just for one race or one country, but everyone, all over the world. Billions of people over the years would kill to have it as good as we do now, or die, that their families could have it this good.

So why are there so many pessimists out there trying to diminish all the things we have accomplished over the years, and all the things we are working for now (usually using the imaginary loosening of morality as their main example)? Hell if I know. I recommend that they get a grip, read some history, appreciate all the things that we've accoplished over the last few thousand years or so, and help us go even further. For everyone else, just stop listening to all these negative people, and keep doing what you do.

ETA: BTW, hope I didn't hijack your thread too much.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
That was a thoughtful and insightful look at Hollywood and morality.

BTW, the Roman Catholic League of Decency nicknamed "The Outlaw" as "Lust in the Dust."  As a child of the '60s, I can remember reading the LoD ratings in the church bulletin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Great work. I always believes the penduleum swings back and forth in cultures.
Hopefully the gun penduleum is still going our way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I still enjoy the older movies much more than the new ones, with some exceptions. Much like firearms.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Great post. You can thank the exploits (some say he was set up) and three trials of funny man "Fatty" Arbuckle for the motion picture assoc. self imposed morality code. They tried heaping the "decline of society's  moral values" on him. By the third trial he was exonerated. Interesting isn't it how the actions of a few are always used to curtail the freedoms of many. Good old "Fatty" Arbuckle, lone fun-man. Hearst claims to have sold more newspapers from Mr. Arbuckles trial than from the sinking of the Lousitania (sp.) Ever notice how bad reportage and worse laws seem to go hand in hand? It seems to be a self feeding fear machine "noblely" protecting us from ourselves, how about a national "freedom from the (hand wringing) press day"
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
This is just like that "Sex at 24 frames per second" movie I watched last night!
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
You forgot the largest grossing (profits) film of all time...DEEP THROAT.

Just saw the Documentary "Inside Deep Throat" at Sundance...

One of the best Documentarys I've ever seen.  Goes into the Supreme Court cases and Congressional hearing surronding a film made for about twenty-five thousand dollars.

It's going to be released on HBO...very well done with lots of interviews with gov officials, hollywood insiders, etc...

The makers never saw a dime of any of that cash...the Mob got it all....

See: story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050123/ap_en_mo/film_sundance_deep_throat
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Great post with alot of class.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]
A post worthy of #20,000.

You may continue to participate on AR15.com, carry on Steyr!

Link Posted: 1/28/2005 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It would seem that as entertainment becomes more important, other, more important rights, get left behind.  This would seem to argue that the receding moral standards seen in film, television and print media serve to distract the public at large from caring about rights which can guarantee that our freedom lasts.

Which is worse:     No T&A easily available or no right to self-defense?  I know which I would choose . . .

This is only supposition, based on the declining rights to self-defense across the nation and the abounding rights to sexual depravity (yes,read that as T&A and other things).

IMHO, no research done.

Well it would seem your conclusions are in error.

First freedom is freedom, you DO NOT forsake one for the other.

Your arguement that "receding moral standards seen in film, television and print media serve to distract the public at large from caring about rights" is specifically addressed and refuted. There was no decline or recede in moral standards. In fact the restriction of firearms freedom occurred the SAME YEAR as restrictions of sexual expression on film, 1934.

The CREATION of "moral standards" on film DID NOTHING to secure other rights such as firearm rights.

Now in 1968 the freedoms associated with "expression" were re established but firearm rights were NOT. Now we need to ask why. Obviously it is again ABSURD to suggest that relaxed moral were the cause because again it happened in the SAME YEAR. And the 68 GCA was the result of things like the Kennedy and King assassinations, NOT Jane Russells breasts.

So why did the public care more about rights of sexual expression over gun rights?

More than likely it is because of people like you. Sadly, many people who champion gun freedoms also are the ones who push for restrictions on other freedoms. This meant the public at large see gun owners who advocated firearms freedoms as little more than oppressive boogeymen seeking to ban things like nudity in film. And most people feel that threat to freedom more accutely than the rights to own a gun. Simply put more people like to watch movies than shoot guns.

And sadly far too many gun owners STILL have not learned this valuable lesson. It is HYPOCRACY to cry "freedom" and at the same time bitch about sexual expression in film. You are the equivalent of a liberal who demands "freedom" and wants gay theme films but thinks nobody needs to own a gun. And again, given that the public at large will first feel freedom threatened when it comes to films and not guns, we will always lose.

What you need to realize is that everytime the Republicans on the right seek to restrict freedoms on something as universal as sexual expression or morality on film we only create new Democrats. And these Democrats in turn, seek new gun laws.

And this is not about..."Which is worse:     No T&A easily available or no right to self-defense?"

That is tantamount to "Which is worse: No First Amendment freedoms or no Second Amendment freedoms." Which is offensive.

You have no right to restrict one any more than another person has the right to restrict the other. It is ALL about loss of "freedom" period.

IMHO, no reading or understanding done.

Bravo!!!  YEAH!!!  Perfect!!!

I loved the original post and I LOVE the way you make the point about Freedom being the real issue.  Too many people think it's all fine and dandy to oppress others or limit activities that they have no wish to take take part in, even if that activity harms no one.  Sadly the whole Left/Right or Damnocrat/Republican linear way of thinking perpetuates this.

Why can't people leave everybody else the hell alone?!?!  If there ain't a victim, there ain't a crime... mind your own business, for crying out loud!  (that goes for the "left" and the "right")

Link Posted: 1/28/2005 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Man SteyrAUG, you sound like my kinda guy.  Usually, if/when I ever make the mistake of venturing anything "political" around here, I'm almost immediately called a "liberal" and lumped in with Michael Moore.    When basically my core beliefs in Freedom simply mean that everybody should be free to do whatever the hell they want to, as long as it doesn't victimize somebody else.

(that and the fact that I think nearly ALL politicians are lying scumbags, whether they're a Damnocrat or a Republican)

oh well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Bumped to save it from the archive.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#28]
This is a great thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Saw an interesting segment ( cant remember where) on the first DRACULA movie that Bela Lagosi made. Not sure if it was made pre or post HAYES code, but during the day the production crew and actors/actresses made the english version of the movie for american audiences.  

Then....when they finished their days work, an evening crew would come on the set with spanish speaking actors and actresses to produce a hispanic version . Aparently this hispanic version was more provocative and more erotic in its depiction of the DRACULA story i.e. more provocative female costumes etc.... in comparison to the american audience version.

When i first saw BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  , was definitely suprised by the lesbian content and other boundries they were trying to push given the time period the movie was released. Does anyone know if any of the girls were PLAYMATES as i noticed Hef in one of the still pics.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent post sir! Hats off to you and you research.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#31]
And soon the Arfcom Taliban for Jesus will stop by to rail on the virtues of marriage, god hates titties and the sin of the peeking nips.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Saw an interesting segment ( cant remember where) on the first DRACULA movie that Bela Lagosi made. Not sure if it was made pre or post HAYES code, but during the day the production crew and actors/actresses made the english version of the movie for american audiences.  

Then....when they finished their days work, an evening crew would come on the set with spanish speaking actors and actresses to produce a hispanic version . Aparently this hispanic version was more provocative and more erotic in its depiction of the DRACULA story i.e. more provocative female costumes etc.... in comparison to the american audience version.

When i first saw BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  , was definitely suprised by the lesbian content and other boundries they were trying to push given the time period the movie was released. Does anyone know if any of the girls were PLAYMATES as i noticed Hef in one of the still pics.

Yes both Dracula's were pre code 1931 films. And the Spanish version was more provacative but hardly as racy as some other pre code films. But it was the post Code 1936 "Dracula's Daughter" that raised most eyebrows with it's implied lesbianism in that the female vampire preyed upon other females.

And yes the 1970 Valley of the Dolls featured 1968 Playboy Playmate Cynthia Meyers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Kabump.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#34]

And Hedy Lamar...

That's Hedley!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow, awesome post man.

-Storm
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#36]
great re-read!
thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Good job.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figured I'd stay mainstream without delving into the history of X. Be kinda hard to stay CoC friendly.

DEEP THROAT was not the highest grossing film of all time--not even close.  There is no evidence to support this fabrication.   No one can support this contention.

It is a recent claim made to hype the recent documentary on Deep Throat.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figured I'd stay mainstream without delving into the history of X. Be kinda hard to stay CoC friendly.

DEEP THROAT was not the highest grossing film of all time--not even close.  There is no evidence to support this fabrication.   No one can support this contention.

It is a recent claim made to hype the recent documentary on Deep Throat.

Deep Thoat was most likely "not" the highest grossing film of all time. Probably not even the highest grossing adult film for that matter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Saved.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#41]
<sniffffff> I love the smell of Libratarian in the morning.

Seriously one of the best threads I have seen here, And 4 pages without too much infighting. Excellantly crafted thread and certianly worthy of you 20,000th
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Awesaome post S.A. if your ever in Tucson I would be honored to take you out for food and drinks.

If more people in America saw things in a similar light I do believe that alot of the small crap that is mucking up the wheels of the Gov. would be seen as the waste of time and energy that it is.

Too bad that both parties use that small crap to play one of the other and therefore keep us fighting and weak so that the Gov. can become the 800 lb. Gorilla that it has become.

Where did you find those DVD titles?? I love old Black & White films.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Awesaome post S.A. if your ever in Tucson I would be honored to take you out for food and drinks.

If more people in America saw things in a similar light I do believe that alot of the small crap that is mucking up the wheels of the Gov. would be seen as the waste of time and energy that it is.

Too bad that both parties use that small crap to play one of the other and therefore keep us fighting and weak so that the Gov. can become the 800 lb. Gorilla that it has become.

Where did you find those DVD titles?? I love old Black & White films.

KINO puts out a lot of older stuff on DVD.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Damn fine post, SA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#46]
BOOBIES
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Congratulations on a great post. Superbly articulated.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Steyr, great post man.  Very informative, but I like the overall theme of Freedom.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow...  Posted :: 1/26/2005

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Hooray for the 1st amendment,
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top