Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2001 5:13:38 AM EDT
Just wondering what state has the least amount of restrictions on gun laws.  I'm in Ohio which isn't bad I suppose, as long as you don't live in the city of Dayton which has a total ban on assault rifles, and if you don't want to carry concealed. They are trying to pass some legislation to let us carry but I don't see it happening anytime soon.  It would also be nice if the state had good job availability also.

Dave
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Wyoming is what America once was.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Dayton has a ban on assault rifles?????????????

How does the Bill Goodman show come through here once a month and dealers sell them like crazy?

How does Rapid Fire in Troy survive since they make their own AR-15 lowers?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Just within the City of Dayton limits.  Thats why I have 3 AK's and 2 SKS's in my gun safe - since my cousin can't keep them at his house.  Had a helpful police officer tell us at a party one night.

Here is the actual saying of the law: Dayton - Assualt Weapon: Unlawful to sell, aquire, possess. Ordinance of 5/94 138.24 to 138.28
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Oregon isn't bad.  Right to carry state.  Pro-carry police for the most part.  Even felons get their guns back after 15 years.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Vermont also has a law against 'zip' guns, NH ain't too bad either...
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Pa is also right to carry, shall-issue state.  Decent employment in some parts.  Only goofy law is no semi-autos for hunting...Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Kentucky...

We have open carry, ccw,silencers, full-auto, can buy black powder otc, and Knob Creek!   :)

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the beautiful state of Kentucky! Can use rifles to deer hunt too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Knob Creek is great whiskey!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I can do pretty much whatever I want here in the mountains of Virginia [heavy]!

ques
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll second the beautiful state of Kentucky! Can use rifles to deer hunt too.
View Quote

Oh yeah, deer, wild turkey (both animal and liquid), quail, pheasent, varmints (groundhog, coyote, crow) and dont get me started on the fishing...

:)
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to say Kentucky too! God bless Knob Creek and Full Auto!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I'll vote for florida--we got a shall issue CCW, NFA friendly, can carry a loaded handgun in your car as long as its snapped in a holster, no permit required.  Not sure about rifles, but I saw an old timer the other day with an AR with inserted 30rd mag in his gunrack with the sliding rear window wide open, shweeet.

Reverend73
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have to say VA too, just stay out of NOVA. Kentucky and Tenn, and WVA are good too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote for Alaska.  They couldn't care less what you have.  Except in the cities of course.  I talked to some people up there who literally carry Full Auto AR's with them almost every where they go.  The police really dont care and you can carry a pistol on your hip anywhere.  Plus CCW's are really easy to get.  Just because almost anyone can carry a gun on their hip.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Indiana isn't the best, but it's in the top 10 i'm sure.

shall issue CCW

most of the regulations relating to guns here are federal ones, ones that IN has no say in the matter.

except for indianapolis, gary, and maybe one or two other towns, the entire state is pretty rural.  "ranges" all over the place, really.  can hear shooting just about every weekend down at my dad's place.

let's just put it this way.  i will only move out of indiana for a MORE gun friendly state and that list is pretty short.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#18]
There are supposedly 33 states that have non-discretionary CCW permits now.  If you live in the Northeast, then you're pretty much limited to Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine.  Everywhere else is a "People's Republik".  Although CT has CCW, they are now trying to ban SAW's.  

Vermont is the only state where you don't need a permit to carry concealed.  

New Hampshire is very good.  We have CCW, Class-3, etc.  Now, if we could just keep the Million Moron Moms from moving here from Massachusetts.  

I don't know much about Maine but they are a CCW state and I know several fellow shooters from NH who got out-of-state permits there pretty easily.  

I lived in Pennsylvania before moving to NH.  CCW, Class-3, etc.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
KENTUCKY IS THE BEST STATE FOR OWNING FIREARMS.
also check out www.freekentucky.com to sign a
online liberty petition.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
What about Tx. gun shows, CCW, no weapons bans at all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Alabama is pretty cool. We have CCW licencse for only $10.00 per year, issued by the county you live in's sherrif. Renew each year w/no questions asked.
No laws on sport utility rifles or mags.
One shortcoming is no recprocity on pistol permits w/other states.
We do have waiting period on handgun purchases,
but it's only 48 hours and unless you are a REAL criminal no one gets turned down.
Deer hunting is as popualar as rice in China here, you can hunt with any rifle that is "a centerfire cartridge using mushrooming ammunition" - So you can use your AR w/ softponts if you like, just cant use those 30 round mags!
A friend of mine use to hunt w/ his HK91 all the time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Nevada's not bad, from what I've seen so far... getting my CCW was simple, though it did take 3 months for the paperwork to go through.  NFA friendly too...
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
how is vermont on other gun issues tho i know they have a REAL CCW law but whats thet NFA and AW laws like

from what i here thu Alaska and from what i know Az are awsome places for RKBA
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
A friend of mine here in Utah takes his scout troop out to shoot his machine guns.  Every now and then he gets an angry soccer mom, but he seems to handle them pretty well I think. CCW, NFA friendly.  Oh, and 90% of the state is a shooting range![heavy]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
North Carolina used to be ok, we have ccw, but i hear class 3 is getting very difficult, anyone know for sure?? was once a beautiful state, now getting too many humans.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
North Dakota is pretty good.  It's pretty easy to get a CCW.  Machine guns and supressors are legal too.  There isn't a whole lot of class 3 dealers in the state though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Indiana is pretty good. Concealed Carry, full auto, not to many libs. ( Unless you live in Gary!)
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Georgia is ok, great for the employment factor, must keep hunting guns to ten rounds, basically they don't care what you target shoot, Carry license issue to 21+ year olds. not the best but it could work!
-Chuck
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I have lived all over the states and firmly believe the 2 absolute best are: Idaho and Montana. I have met damn few people who don't own at least one firearm. Public land out the ass, and both are class 3 and shall issue states. Come to big sky country, plenty of room for more black rifle fans.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#31]
It might not be the best, but UT is pretty damn good.

lousyshot...if your in the SLC area, we should meet sometime and do some plinking..

Zane
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Utah is good. Wyoming is good. I live in Utah now, but grew up in Wyoming. Nobody cares what you do in either state. Just don't murder. In Wyoming they started to do gun checks at the highschool my senior year, they looked in cars with dogs, found guns. The best part was when they said "oh well". It's such a common thing to have a gun in your truck that they decided to bag the whole idea. Hasn't been a murder in decades and the last one was by an out of state homeless dude. Only proves that guns don't kill people naiveness does.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#33]
[img]http://www.3dflags.com/images/u/3dflagsdotcom_us_in3wl.gif[/img]

Indiana is darn hard to beat with no bans of any sort.  Plus CCW is shall issue with nothing more than paying $20ish every 4 years.  Much better than Kentucky's class requirement and much more expensive CCW permit.  There are only a few states as good as Indiana... Wyoming comes to mind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Pa. all the way.

Class 3 friendly, shall issue CCW. Just stay in the northern counties, stay away from Philadelphia. Good hunting, a lot of state land and state shooting ranges. Plenty of shooting clubs and rifle and pistol matches every weekend.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We do have waiting period on handgun purchases,
but it's only 48 hours and unless you are a REAL criminal no one gets turned down.
View Quote

I guess you haven't heard.  There is no longer a waiting period on handgun purchases in Alabama.  Governor Siegelman signed the bill that did away with the waiting period back in May of 2000.

The following is from the NRA web site:

[b]5/26/00

Yesterday, Governor Don Siegelman (D) signed HB 140, a law which protects firearms makers from "reckless" lawsuits aimed at bankrupting them, making Alabama the 20th state to pass such a law. In addition to protecting gun makers, the bill also repeals the two-day waiting period for handgun purchases and strengthens Alabama's firearms preemption statute, ensuring further uniformity of firearms laws across the state. Thanks go out to Governor Siegelman and Attorney General Bill Pryor (R) for their support. We would also like to express our appreciation to State Rep. Jack Page (D), the sponsor of HB 140, and all the lawmakers who voted for its passage![/b]

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[B][BLUE]NRA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.nra.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]GOA Life Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.gunowners.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAF Member[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.saf.org[/URL]
[B][BLUE]SAS Supporter[/BLUE][/B] - [URL]www.sas-aim.org[/URL]

[IMG]monkeyboots.com/alabamaflag.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top