Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2001 3:25:34 AM EDT
I have a Colt AR15 SP1 that I bought back in 1979. I plan to buy the preban Bushmaster upper that has the 11.5" barrel and 5.5" flash supressor.

If I do this, am I giving up too much velocity and accuracy? I think that I will mainly be shooting at 100 yds but I would still like to hit targets at 200 yds if needed.

I also plan to get a telescoping stock for it. Some people have mentioned that their rifle was less reliable after swapping in a telescoping stock. Is this something that I should be concerned about?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you aren't buildin' an SBR why get an 11.5 inch barrel when you need a 16" overall barrel lenght?

Why not get a 16" barrel with a flash suppresor? Or a 14.5 inch barrel with a flash supresor of at leat 1.5" permanantley affixed?

The velocity rule of thumb is appx 30 fps per inch IIRC. So you are losing 165 fps, appx.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
11.5"barrel plus 5.5" FH is a perfectly legal upper to have on your preban as long as the flash hider is permanently attached.mmk
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
MMK, I assumed he knew that and was staying legal. But why if you need 16" of barrel/perm flash supp, not get the most barrel out of that combo as possible? That was my point.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Legally, you could have a 5" barrel with an 11" flash suppressor permanently affixed.  Whoo-hoo!  You'd have the "coolness" of a really big flash suppressor with the hard-hitting ballistics of a .22 Magnum.  [rolleyes]

The barrel is the heart of the rifle.  I'd keep it at least M4 length (14.5").
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Kin, you should be just fine.  This is not an unusual combination.  At 100 yards, you'll never notice the difference.  The shorter sight radius will have the most effect.

Norm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top