Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 9:00:33 AM EDT

Police buy top assault rifle to tame
                 gunmen

[url]www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/Sunday-Times/stinwenws02026.html?[/url]

[img]www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/Sunday-Times/STN170402.150x226.jpg?[/img]
[img]www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/Sunday-Times/STN170401.300x235.jpg?[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't read the link.I have read somewhere else that 25-30% now carry conceled.Not home though,just at work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
What 9mm 'armour piercing' round are they talking about in that article?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
In Hastings, East Sussex, Jimmy Ashley was shot dead in front of his girlfriend after police, acting on a tip-off that there was a gun and drugs in his flat, burst into his bedroom at 4am. No gun or drugs were subsequently found.
View Quote

Sounds like they are just like US cops.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
British police have always had access to firearms just not like American police....British beat cops walk around while pseudo like swat cops are in different locations in the city in vans waiting to be called on for assistance. 20 or 30 seconds is an eternity when your getting the snot kicked out of you much less 2 min reaction times from these Swat Teams.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#5]
However, recently in Nottingham British cops were armed on the beat - the crime rate there justified it they said.  

It's just a matter of time before more and more areas will be patrolled by armed cops.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What 9mm 'armour piercing' round are they talking about in that article?
View Quote

I did not see a reference to a '9mm armor piercing round'.

I thought with all their 'gun control' that they would have no crime.  Gee, what a surprise![;D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank goodness, maybe they should just have the military patrol their streets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard the British police really started beefing up their police arms with all the terrorist worries.

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm AGHAST!

WHY would the police in England need to carry such POWERFUL weapons when all handguns and all self-loading long guns are ILLEGAL?

COULD IT BE THAT CRIMINALS ARE NOT OBEYING THE LAW?

OH MY GOD!..... QUICK! We need to pass some MORE laws!

Are we feeling the sarcasm here, yet?

About time they got theirs. I, for one, am sick of their elitist attitudes toward American society. Let them live in fear of the criminals, knowing all they can use to defend themselves is harsh language. At least here in Florida we're still allowed to shoot back.

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
And shoot back we surely will...
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
What the hell. A gun is now considered a proper part of the attire of the villians in merry old england. Where do they get them since they have taken the honest citizens weapons which were used to protect themselves. I don't want to hear about their self righteous attitudes toward gun control. As far as the bobbies go, I guess Sir. Edwin Peele is turning over in his grave.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Some criminals have resorted to using swords in attacks too....  

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
"and which contain more explosive charge".  Wow, gotta get me some of those.  You guys are hitting it right on the head.  Lovely before and after picture, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's see, to turn a country into a police state you:

First take away all the legally owned firearms

Second wait for violent crime to increase as criminals prey on unarmed subjects

Third, get rid of pesky civil rights like trial by jury and allow seizure of all assests before guilt is proven, you know all in the name of safety.

Fourth, arm every police officer with high power assault rifles and armor peircing ammuntion, because the crime rate is so high it justifies it.

Fifth, conducts raids against everyone that disagrees with what the government says and while kicking in the door announce, "We are the government and we are here to help".

That about covers it. Englands been taking stricter action about ever two months now.  I wonder if the gangs won't start sniping the police in order to get their new high power weapons and bullets?  I'm sure glad I don't live there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Troy, do you have a brain gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top