Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2001 7:22:50 AM EDT
I have been trying to find out what one of these barrels would be better for me. Right now I'm just going to use the AR-15 for shooting and plinking up to 300yd. Also doing a little target shooting from that far at my local range. But I don't know if I should get the 20" or 16" the money is the same for both of the barrels. I don't know what to get. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I would first get a flattop upper.Get that on
whatever barrel you decide.If you want a carry
handle just buy a A-3 handle and mount it.
I can't tell you what barrel to get,but for
myself all of my AR's{all Bushmasters} I just
have the 16in barrels.I like them more than
the 20in just because its smaller,lighter and
for me quicker to bring on target.

Maybe you will buy a bushmaster.....maybe you
woul'nt.

Maybe you will get a 20in barrel.....maybe you
woul'nt.

Maybe you will shoot it every week...maybe you
woul'nt.

But whatever you do,get a flat-top.Trust me on
this one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The 20" barrel will give you about 300fps greater velocity than a 16". The 16" guns are lighter and handier. If you plan to use optics the carbine really isn't at a disadvantage accuracy wise, with irons it is (except for the Dissipator). One other thing to consider, if you get a 20, go with a Gov't or SP1 light weight barrel. The HBAR 20's are boat oars!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I was planning on getting a Rock river arms flat top upper and a RRA lower I don't know if that helps any.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
For your purposes, I'd get the 16".  It is much less cumbersome to carry, and just as accurate with optics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Now I was told also not to get the NM trigger do to its not going to be good for just the kind of plinking I'm doing and if the shit hits the fan it would not be good for a battle rifle now is that true.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The NM trigger will be an excellent choice, especially as cheap as it is from them.  From RRA, you might want to look into their mid length handguard as well.(Splits the difference between standard A4 length and the odd looking dissipator).  
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
With .223, I prefer to go with maximal muzzle velocity instead of 4" less barrel. Also, rifles where the bullet stays in the barrel for a little bit longer after passing the gas hole tend to be more reliable.

Had more trouble with shorty ARs than normal-size ARs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top