Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 6:33:36 AM EDT
Well, the subject line pretty much says it all, but it's a question that I need to ask, as I don't have any rifles that have any such mechanism (AR-15, etc.).  

I understand how one might block the bolt from forward travel, but how it this mechanism tripped when the magazine runs dry?  

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be much obliged.  

Banshee
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a square notch cut into the back end of top of the magazine.  When a magazine is in place, the bottom of the bolt catch fits into that square notch.  After the last round is fired, the magazine follower, which extends back farther than a cartridge case, pushes the bolt catch up into the path of the bolt.

The mechanism is mechanically similar to ones on many semiautomatic handguns.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
in a small cottage on the the edge of the black forest.  an old man cuts wood everyday.  one day he got lonely for a son and fashioned one out of wood from a tree that had been hit by lightining.  he carved it with love and tendernes and called him "boltholdopenio".....then there was a fierce storm .....

steve

sorry - was in a fairy tale mood.  as the bolt carrier moves rearward, the pressure from the inserted magazine spring make the lever on the left side of the reciever move up.  as there is nothing there.  it move to it max range of up movement.  then the bolt carrier literally runs into a fixed object and stops.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  That helps a lot to further my rather limited understanding of the functioning mechanisms of firearms.  

Banshee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top