Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 2:58:13 AM EDT
Want to pick up a DVD and it comes in two formats: with DTS and without. What's the difference?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a different audio version then Digital Dolby.  I think DTS sounds better than DD.   If there are two versions of the DVD, DD and DTS, I go for DTS.  Oh,  you cannot hear DTS unless your receiver can decode DTS.  Make sure it can handle DTS before you buy.  

For more info you should go to [url]www.dvdtalk.com[/url]

Everyone there argues between DTS and DD just like we here argue about AK47 vs AR15

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Digital Theater System.  It is a recording code. At this date and time, any player that you buy should have it while being able to make your popcorn (with coconut oil).  Yeah, I am old enough to remember what a real movie house is supposed to smell like.

Dave S
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
"old enough to remember what a real movie house is supposed to smell like."

Yeah for real.  The small Texas town I grew up in had a movie house on the town square.  Saturday afternoon matinees were a big deal.  Balcony too.  No air conditioning but a big evaporative water cooler on the roof.  So a friend and I get a big can of Red Man snuff, climb up on the roof and pour the snuff into the air intake for the water cooler.  Beat a hasty retreat and watched from an alley across the street.  No action for a couple minutes.  Then the whole audience dumped out into the street.  We thought we'd killed them.  Coughing choking, sneezing, cussing, spitting, rubbing eyes.  Almost as much fun as climbing and swimming in the water tower.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
keep it simple-just make sure your DVD player can handle BOTH DTS and Dolby Digital.  Also make sure your reciever cand handle both formats also.  Almost every DVD player made will do at least Dolby Digital, and it is getting tough to find one that does not have both.

The diference between the two is not even noticable to me-I am sure if you spend 50 thou on a system you could tell, but thats not real likley for most of us.  But I will tell you you NEED both.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I also prefer DTS over DD but will not go out of my way to find it.  Seems like there is a lot more stuff encoded with DD.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DVD Tracker:
I've had Twister in DD then bought the DTS version.  Couldn't really notice a difference - both sounded great.  I'm not a huge audiophile though.

FYI, ar15.com members can get a free account at [url]http://www.dvdtracker.com[/url]
View Quote

Haven't been there for a long time.  It still has all my dvds listed.  :)   I haven't purchased many dvd's in the past year.  I was lucky to get them all during the coupon heydays.  

[url]www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.asp?user_id=air%40newsguy%2Ecom&first_name=Robert&last_name=Whitehill&order_by=title[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top