Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2001 6:59:02 AM EDT
[img]http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/_photos/2001-06-07-shaq-truck.jpg[/img]

06/07/2001 - Updated 10:19 AM ET

By Earle Eldridge, USA TODAY

Kim D. Johnson, AP
Shaquille O'Neal has teamed with Ford to develop a vehicle.  

Soon fans of Shaquille O'Neal can buy the tricked-out Ford Shaq SST Expedition — the first time an athlete's name will appear on an automaker's vehicle. Only 500 of the Expeditions will be sold at selected Ford dealers. But the firm that brought Shaq and Ford together says it's in talks with other automakers and celebrities. O'Neal teamed with AutoOz, a custom car manufacturer, to design features of the Shaq SST because "I like trucks," the Los Angeles Lakers big man says. "I want to make sure the Shaq SST looks classy and different. I want it to be a truck but not really ride like a truck."

O'Neal has "about 15" cars and trucks. His stable runs from a Ferrari F355 Spider convertible to classic cars that include a '65 Ford Galaxy.

O'Neal says he loves to customize: He has a Cadillac Escalade with an air suspension to lower and raise the body. He also owns stretch limo Chevrolet Suburbans, customized Mercedes S-Class sedans and a Hummer SUV.

He likes to put a Shaq Superman logo on the front grille and on a custom steering wheel of whatever he drives. For extra legroom, he moves the front seat back 6 inches so his 7-foot-1, 330-pound body can fit comfortably.

The Shaq SST — priced from $50,000 to $55,000 — won't be plastered with the big man's name: It's on customized labels on the seat back, the console and tailgate.

The car comes with custom exhaust, smoke windows, massive 22-inch custom wheels, a 580-watt sound system with a 10-changer CD player, DVD and a TV. A navigational system is optional. The color options: black and silver.

Each of the 500 will be sequentially numbered. O'Neal, who wears jersey No. 34, gets vehicle No. 34.

AutoOz CEO Tony Loiacono, a former auto and sports marketing executive, hooked Shaq up with Ford.

"We wanted the right individual," Loiacono says. "Shaq is a superman type of guy. He's got a very clean image."

The Shaq SST expands Ford's "No Boundaries" truck and SUV marketing campaign, says Doug Walczak, Expedition brand manager.

Walczak says Ford won't be involved in marketing or advertising the Shaq SST.

"It's not a Ford production vehicle, but it is sold as new at Ford dealers and comes with a factory-backed warranty."

Experts caution automakers against putting just any celebrity's name on their cars.

"You can get instant recognition and enthusiasm, but generally as a rule, I advise against it," says Alan Siegel, a brand marketing expert. "Shaq has demonstrated that he is a good person and has stability. I would be less worried about him than Dennis Rodman."

Loiacono says the Shaq SST will be available in October, first in the Los Angeles area and then possibly in the Southeast and Northeast regions.

Will the new ride be O'Neal's favorite?

"I don't know," he says. "I have to line up all my cars in my garage and look at them before I can decide which is my favorite."

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
OH BOY a lowered SUV what a great idea!
(heavy sarcasm here)
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]
[puke]   [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
perfect to haul a lot of white women around after a basket ball game.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I know, I am a finance Manager @ a Ford Store we have had a couple of calls already about that Expedition. We sell a ton of Expeditions with 20 and 22 inch rims, I don't know why I guess people think a $40,000 4x4 that won't be able to go off road any more is cool. Oh well, I happy w' my new '01 Ranger XLT.

[spank]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]
After reading all that I can only say...

Did they say  "Hummer" [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes] [whacko][whacko][whacko]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Does it come with an on board fire extinguisher incase laker fans get ahold of it?????[;D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If I didnt know ghetto derives from an italian neighborhood, I might have a comeback to your remarks.......
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I didnt know ghetto derives from an italian neighborhood, I might have a comeback to your remarks.......
View Quote

And "shit" waqs derived from a 14th Century French coloquilism meaning "Roughly Good"...

Though that may be what it meant years ago, we all know what it means today...
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
shit is manure right ??
thats what you put on grass to make it grow
[x]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:
shit is manure right ??
thats what you put on grass to make it grow
[x]
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!

[I]THAT[/I] was funny...
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
regardless of what you may think G.G.
as kojak would say, who loves ya baby...
your fun to rap with !!
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:
regardless of what you may think G.G.
as kojak would say, who loves ya baby...
your fun to rap with !!
View Quote

[IMG]http://www.avelharia.hpg.com.br/FIGURAS/Atual4/IMAGENS/KOJACK/Kojak.jpg[/IMG]

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
SUV = the tip mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
G.G. you and others like you keep this place funny.
otherwise all we would here about is ammo and MOA etc.. there are other forums on this site for that.
I DONT ASK QUESTIONS, I JUST HAVE FUN !!!!
I learn alot here but it should be fun too...
[x]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't want those grapes.
They're probably sour anyway...
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Go pick up an current issue of 4Wheeler, I'm nearly certain it's a 4Wheeler issue.   It's got the biggest pile of junk Expedition you've ever seen, big giant 44 inch tires or some ungodly thing like that and it's got a suspension on it that puts the floor boards up about 6 feet or more in the air, to get in the damned thing it's got an air-ride suspension where the airbags compress lowering the truck just so you can get into the thing.   It's interesting, to build it would be a heck of a project but other than that it's the most pointless thing I've ever seen in my life.

As for that SHAQ thing, it would be semi cool if they had gone into it and put the Lightning supercharged engine into it or maybe if they built the thing with the dual overhead cam engine from the Lincoln Navigator as well as a supercharger.

I liked the Saleen supercharged 5.0 Explorers but I just didn't feel they made them hot enough and I also feel they should have done a full time four wheel drive on the Saleen Explorers, something that would really  haul ass.  Something like a 450hp Explorer geared so it pulls better than a 6.0 second 0-60 while using all four wheels to get it there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
rant

I never have understood people that buy an SUV (I mean a real one, not one of those toys like the RAV4 or anything with KIA on it)  and park it in their garage.  
View Quote

I believe you are referring to SUC's ('sport' 'utility' cars). The acronym fits perfectly. [:)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top