BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2001 6:18:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"Yes, but an order is an order. It's up to my superiors whether or not it is an unlawful order."

View Quote

BZZZZTTTTT!!!!

Wrong answer.

As an enlisted man I always knew that the decision to question an unlawful order was my call alone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The truth behind the survey "would US troops (Marines) fire on US citizens" is as follows. A naval officer while doing a post grad degree at NAPS did a survey of combat arms MOS Marines part of RLT 7 at 29 Palms. This survey had no official backing and was done as part of an academic study. However, many conspiracy theorists have morphed this academic study into positive proof that the NWO is going to use Marines to take over the US. The results of the study actually where that most said no, they won't. There were a few, that did say yes. But most of those where not the SNCO and Officers that would have to carry out the orders. So I would say no the military will not disarm the American populace.

The Marine Corps doesn't fall under Posse Commitus. We are part of the Dept of the Navy. Although general the spirit of the law is complied with, there have been numerous occasions we have been used to restore order within the US borders in times when civilian authority couldn't.

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Typing directly from my Oath of Reenlistment:

"I, GovtThug, do solemnly swear(or affirm) that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the Officers appointed over me, according to the regulations and the uniform code of military justice. So help me God!"

Funny, I just noticed how they didn't capitalize "Constitution", but did capitalize "officers".

(OOPS! states has two t's)
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, that wasn't exactly what it said. It had my name, not "GovtThug".
[(:)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any links but here are some bits of info that may help.

Guy Cunningham was the one that conducted the 29 Palms Survey.

The Posse Commitatus Act of 1878 was enacted to prevent the President from using the military under his command to enforce his personal edicts. IIRC the actions Licoln took during the War of Nothern Aggression were an influence in the creation of this law.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I, (state your name) do solemnly swear words, words, words, something, something...hell I forget. It was along time ago I just held up my right hand said the mantra and I was Parris Island bound. Sorry I couln't be of more help.

Seriously though, theres a book out called "The making of the Corps" I have it but not handy. Anyway the author does make some reference to the widening gap between the military and the civilian population that they are supposed to serve and protect. Way back when I was in boot camp part of the whole indoctrination/get yourself a new self image thing was to put down as we were taught to call them "slimey, undisciplined civilians". Well that was a long time ago. The book is fairly recent and the authors interpretation of what they are teaching is a little disturbing. No matter what we said amongst ourselves we never forgot who we were working for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top