Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2001 2:40:34 PM EDT
...next to a wall?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the shells will bounce back at you, especialy if it is brick or concrete.

So say you were taking cover next to a wall and trying to return cover, what do you do?  I guess if you had a pistol you could try to stick it out beyond the wall but then your hands could be shot.

I have no idea what to do with a rifle.

Help.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm...Now why would you be shooting next to a wall at the range? You're planning on being shot at on the shooting range? Nobody but the military and police(which you have already reminded us we are not) use their rifles outside the shooting range...[rolleyes]

Seriously, empties will not be distracting you in a life or death situation, "tunnel vision" and adrenaline will kick in, and it's likely that you wouldn't notice a bomb going off near you while you're taking fire.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I was standing next to a wall at the range so there!

At my range they have an indoor pistol range and three outdoor ranges right behind them.  At the rear of the indoor range there is this wall that comes straight back.  I got the bright idea to take cover next to it and shoot at a target down range then BOING I started kicking hot rounds off my face!

We also have Jersey type concrete barriers separating the ranges so you can stand next to one of those too.

So poop on you!  ;-)

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was standing next to a wall at the range so there!

At my range they have an indoor pistol range and three outdoor ranges right behind them.  At the rear of the indoor range there is this wall that comes straight back.  I got the bright idea to take cover next to it and shoot at a target down range then BOING I started kicking hot rounds off my face!

We also have Jersey type concrete barriers separating the ranges so you can stand next to one of those too.

So poop on you!  ;-)

View Quote

I take umbrage at your rude remark, civilian.[;)]

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't shot while standing in over 3 years [:|]  

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1024860&a=9278902&p=30270533&Sequence=0[/img]

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
that damn .50 cal will never jam on me AGAIN!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome Steve! Glad to see y ou're still at it. Where are you in Pa? I'm from the just above Pittsburgh area orginally, and also up in Potter Country..way up there next to NY state. Great hunting and shooting up there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Yo G, that's what gizzety gangsta' style shootin' is fo'. Daayyammnn Bee. I don't be needin' cases bouncin' off da walls in muh crib, so I dun hold it like a muhfuggin gangsta when I bust caps.

ray deeoh man

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Where do you get some of that "umbrage"??
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...next to a wall?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the shells will bounce back at you, especialy if it is brick or concrete.

So say you were taking cover next to a wall and trying to return cover, what do you do?  I guess if you had a pistol you could try to stick it out beyond the wall but then your hands could be shot.

Help.
View Quote

Never fire over the TOP of some kind of cover if you can shoot around the side of it.

Aviator [img]www.dredgearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I often shoot at the NRA range in Fairfax.  It is an indoor range that has partitions between each of the positions, and the people at each end have a wall right next to them.

With an AR it isn't too bad because the brass tends to be thrown over your right shoulder so even if it bounces straight back the worst you'll get is some taps in on the shoulder or back of the head.

Other rifles tend to throw the brass forward though, and those can be more annoying.  One time when shooting my DR200, which throws brass forward at about a 45 degree angle, a casing hit the wall and came straight back at me.  It hit me dead center of my forehead, mouth first so it made a round cut just above and centered between my eye brows.  I went around for weeks looking like a Hindu.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Help.
View Quote

If you are shooting an AR15 or an AK47 type rifle and are right handed (like 90% of the people) I don't see the problem.  If the wall opening is on your left side the cases will eject right and not hit you.  If the wall is on your right you would have to be a good distance away since you are right handed so the case will have at least three feet to travel before hitting the wall.  Of course if you have an SKS or similar type rifle that ejects straight up the point is mute.

Either way, if I am being shoot at I would just be happy there [i]is[/i] a wall for me to shoot around.

sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top