Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2001 5:38:16 AM EDT
I like to shoot trap, I think it is a lot of fun.  The gun club I go to has three areas to shoot trap, so it is really popular around where I live.  Does anyone else like to shoot trap?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Just went for the second time on Wednesday.  Got 4, 4, and 6 in three rounds.  Had a blast.  Mental note: remove folding stock...
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I love trap, great fun!
Zane
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Trap is a blast. I started shooting trap with my Benelli with pistol grip and ghost ring sights. Now I've got a Browning Citori Lightning.

If you really want to enjoy it, get a couple of lessons. It made a huge difference for me. Shooting with both eyes open did not come naturally at all, but once I got it, my scores really improved.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Jarhead, good morning.  Didn't know you were a shotgunner too.  The Dallas Gun Club will finish their new bunker trap range in two weeks.  What say let's give it a try some weekend?  I'm about the only blackgunner there and a little company would be nice.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
JBR:

When I turned sixteen (1969) my parents made me go get a job.  I was real into guns so I got a job as a trap boy at the Winchester Public Shooting Park on the edge of Dallas.

One of the best things about it was that I got to shoot at a discount and got AA ammo at a discount too.  And, I got to see a lot of really good shooters practice and picked up a lot of tips.

The one that helped me the most was to crowd the left side of the pad at stations one and two, the right side of the pad at stations four and five.  That puts you out in front of the birds just a little bit more than if you stand in the middle.  This is especially good if you're using a long barrelled gun like I was, an 870 magnum.

It was a dirty, nasty, hot stinking job and I loved every minute of it!  We did have to stay on our toes though, I remember one woman who came out to shoot in the middle of the day.  She had a nice over and under, a Citori I think.  I got the impression that it wasn't hers, maybe her husbands; her gun handling wasn't that great  so I made certain that I was always behind her, not off to the side.  She'd just finished a shot and had dropped a shell into the gun for the next one, snapped the gun closed and dusted the trap house!  She finished one round and I never saw her again.

Trap (and skeet) can be *real* addictive sports, glad you're enjoying it!

Everett
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The Wife and I both enjoy busting the clay birds. Every Wednesday night finds us hanging out at the club, shooting and visiting with friends who like to talk guns how much better does it get!
Tuco
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
i shoot on a team. in august were going to mitchell SD to shoot a compition. thats a long way to go to shoot.

if you like trap find a friendly skeet range, i find it to be way more laid back than trap. the shots are really fun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Trap is a lot of fun.  Been flirting with the magic 25/25 for about a year.  I keep missing one......
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Skeet is too slow for me I like trap cause it moves faster.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now I've got a Browning Citori Lightning.
FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
View Quote

Ohhhh.....DROOL.......I want one of those sooo bad.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
JBR:

Trap is fun, but it is SOOOO frustrating.  My high is 14 with an AR.....[:D]

SRM
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
LISTEN TO THIS!!!

i have a friend that shot a 0 at trap, a ZERO. and he was trying(sorta) i think i could get at least one blindfolded. after his club record setting preformance one of my friends had just got his straight 50. that is quiet an acomplishment as i am still going for my 25 like rich above. anyway he took a straight 50 patch and removed the 5 and presented my friend with a straight zero patch. it met its death in a hail of gunfire.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I also enjoy shoting Trap and Skeet. Used to watch Pop do it all the time. That is what got me hooked. Loved to help him reload and collect hulls at the range.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Arock and Jarhead_22

I'm a sporting clays shooter, but would love to shoot some bunker trap if you get together.  E:mail me at [email protected] if you would like some company.

Bud
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in Arock and Bud. I haven't blown the dust out of my Citori in quite some time. I'll be visiting family on the east coast for the rest of the month, but give me a shout after that and we'll hook up. [email][email protected]

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot trap all my life, I have a model 12 trap gun with a Simmons floating rib that my dad gave to me on my 13 birthday in 1959. I have been to Vandalia Ohio for the Grand Nationals two or three times, it's great fun.  The necessary ATA registered birds sent me and my dad to many different gun clubs each Sunday, where I met so many good people. I miss my dad but because of trapshooting and the shooting sports I still have many fond memories of him and me together. Fathers get you sons and daughters shooting early, and take lots of pictures and keep a diary of your good times together, they will be invaluable to you some day.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Arock's go for some trap.  Anytime after the first weekend of July.  (Getting ready for the .50 BMG shoot at Raton.)  Is DGC OK with you guy's or do you have another range in mind?  I don't mind driving.

Have Gun Will Travel.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#18]
With trap, there is no evidence my GF can use to prove I suck at shooting, unlike with the AR and paper targets, its just her word against mine.  Of course, she is even worse than me but she doesnt care, she loves to needle me for only getting 17/30 within a 1.5x1.5" box at 25meters. (but I did get 27/30 inside the 3x3" box...)

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#19]
like trap, can't hit anything but air though, never had instruction, or maybe it's just me!
...but i have some U2 CD's i can practice with!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I have never shot a round of trap but I am sure its alot of fun. I do alot of dove hunting and if you can hit them you ought to be able do well at trap.
What kind of shotgun do you all use??
Just wondering what the most popular brand or model is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I like trap too. I like ging to the park and using my thrower and just being out in park enjoying myself on a nice day. I have shot on a actual trap range but I like spending the afternoon in the park much better.

Six
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup. I shoot about 1-2x per month with my trusty Mossberg. I only average around 16-20breaks per round of 25 though. Lack of practice I guess. Hey, I gotta get my rifle time in!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#24]
They call it TRAP because all the other 4 letter words were already taken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top