Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 6:56:58 PM EDT
Edited to say thanks to all who offered advice.

I don't know what it was in my barrel, or how it got there, but it must have happened sometime just before my last four shots, which were way off the mark, compared to my previous 20.

Anyway, it is cleaned out and looking nice and shiny new. I finally took the plunge and ran a bronze brush down the bore with Hoppes #9 about twenty times and it wiped out shining like a baby's ass. I can see absolutely no pitting, so it could not have been rust. Rust in the quantity that I thought I saw would have left craters in the barrel.

Wierd shit.

Thanks again all!

Jim

---------------------------------------

I picked up my LEGP last weekend in Maine, at X-Ring's place, and shot it Sunday afternoon. I put about 100 rounds through it.

I brought it home, and didn't get a chance to clean it. I just put it in my cabinet. Tuesday, I took it to the range, and fired another 20 rounds maybe, and it was shooting very nicely. But then my last 4 were spreading out about 2 inches at 50 yards, so I figured it needed a good cleaning, and I set it aside. I then shot my AP-74 for about 120 rounds. I had also shot this rifle in Maine, and also did not clean it.

They both sat in my cabinet once again, til tonight, when I decided to clean them for a shoot on Sunday.

The AP-74 cleaned up just fine, but when I ran the first patch down the LEGP, it sounded like I just ran sand paper down the bore. The patch came out soaked with rust.

A look down the bore, and my stomach sunk down to my feet. It was a rusted mess.

All I shot in the gun was the SA ball ammo. I have used this exclusively for over a year, in both of my other ARs, and have let the guns sit uncleaned for much longer periods without ever detecting the slightest signs of corrosion.

[b]Edited for new discovery:[/b]

This is the wierdest thing. The more I look, the less it actually looks like rust. It comes out on the patches a rust color, and first look down the barrel had me convinced it was rust, but as I run patches and a nylon brush down it, it's begining to look like some kind of gunk, but not rust.

I have NEVER seen anything like it, cept maybe in my 1893 Spanish Mauser which probably had not been cleaned in 100 years.

Anyone know of anything that might look like rust, but appear almost like a redish tar in the rifling grooves. It even appears to ball up.

The areas that are clean, are bright and shiny like new. There are absolutely no signs of rust anywhere on the exterior of the gun.

Could something have come out of one of those SA rounds that might have done this?

Like I said earlier, it was shooting great, had it zeroed right in, and then wanted to print a nice five round group to post, and I had a 2 to 3 inch spread on the next 4 rounds and quit, thinking it was just getting dirty.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a sinking feeling people are going to say "non-chrome barrel" = cleaning after every shooting session.

Thats my guess.

I clean my 11.5" non-chrome after every shoot. I am afraid of your problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have other non chromed ARs and never had this problem. And of course, all of my old military bolt actions are non chromed, and again, I never had this problem. Sometimes I just don't get the time to clean them. The AP-74 is non chromed, as far as I know, too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't see how you can blame anyone else for letting your rifle rust for a week... On the bright side, it'll probably clean up with very little permanent damage.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree.  I don't think it is a chrome lining issue.  I have shot a lot of the South African ammo with no problems so I don't think it is an ammo issue either.  That only leaves the barrel.  Maybe you should give RRA a call Monday morning and talk to them.  Give them a chance to show us some great customer service.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you had let it soak in water, or somehow got it really wet in there, I would call RRA about it first.

They are not going to want bad publicity of their LEGP on AR-15.com.  You fired stuff labelled as non-corrosive(I checked)

Sorry to here about it.

BTW is an AP-74 an AK-74 clone?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, Well. it more than likely the ammo is fine.  So, Did you check all of your guns for sign of rust? Maybe you have a water leak in a wall or under your house close to where you store your guns and it has found it's way close by.

I dunno just trying to think of different things.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
so  you want to sell it yet?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The AP-74 is a .22 rimfire copy of the AR-15... it had me fooled the first time I saw one. I don't know if they are still available, but I would sure like to have one.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so  you want to sell it yet?
View Quote

Tell you what critter, send that bad boy down to Texas where we know how to treat a fine piece of equipment.  Hell, I won't even charge you for cleaning up the mess you left.[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If you crap your pants and don't have time to change your undies will you call Fruit of the Loom?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe the ammo caused a chemical reaction with something left in the barrel at RRA????
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]
could the ammo's powder be breaking down & having a reaction with your barrel.

could the bullets themselves be defective and peeling inside your barrel
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe the ammo caused a chemical reaction with something left in the barrel at RRA????
View Quote

We cleaned them all at X-Rings before we went to shoot them, so as far as I could tell, there was nothing in the barrel when we started.

This is strange. I wish I had a magnifying glass to get a real good look at it. I may take it to a friend's house tomorrow that has one, and knows a heck of a lot more about these things than I do.

I'm still a newbie compared to most, when it comes to screw ups. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Come on... Any decent barrel wouldn't rust because it sat for 4 days without being cleaned.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

could the bullets themselves be defective and peeling inside your barrel
View Quote

I ran a bunch of patches soaked with copper solvent, and then ran a nylon brush down it about 10 times, and I get no green on my dry patches, so I don't think it's copper.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

How modest.[:I]

What is the texture of the stuff like.  Is it rubbery or gritty?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What is the texture of the stuff like.  Is it rubbery or gritty?
View Quote

I'm also very humble. [:)]

The first patch, soaked in Shooter's Choice, sounded like it was sand paper going down the barrel. Made me cringe, really.

But now it seems gummy. It looks like it is smearing, or balling in the grooves. Not much comes out on wet or dry patches now. I may try running a brush wrapped with a patch, and some Remington Bore Cleaner down the old pipe and see what I get.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
You got me dude.  Keep us informed and keep scrubbing.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

What I should have said was I'm still too new at this to have made all the mistakes one can make AND know how to fix them. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
When you have made every mistake you can make and also know how to fix them you will have reached the next level, Grasshopper.. snatch the pebble from my hand.[;D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you crap your pants and don't have time to change your undies will you call Fruit of the Loom?
View Quote

I don't think Fruit of the Looms cost $660.00 a pair. Also, anybody who cleans or changes their rifle every day has too much time on their hands. There is such a thing as cleaning a gun too much. I don't think the scenario that critter is describing indicates neglect at all. Hell, if I cleaned my guns after each time I shot them, I'd be spending 20 hours a week cleaning guns!

Call RRA and I'm sure they will do you right.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think Fruit of the Looms cost $660.00 a pair. Also, anybody who cleans or changes their rifle every day has too much time on their hands. There is such a thing as cleaning a gun too much. I don't think the scenario that critter is describing indicates neglect at all. Hell, if I cleaned my guns after each time I shot them, I'd be spending 20 hours a week cleaning guns!

Call RRA and I'm sure they will do you right.

View Quote

It looks like I won't have to call anywhere, thank goodness! [:)]

I don't know what it was in my barrel, or how it got there, but it must have happened sometime just before my last four shots, which were way off the mark, compared to my previous 20.

Anyway, it is cleaned out and looking nice and shiny new. I finally took the plunge and ran a bronze brush dont the bore with Hoppes #9 about twenty times and it wiped out shining like a baby's ass. I can see absolutely no pitting, so it could not have been rust. Rust in the quantity that I thought I saw would have left craters in the barrel.

Wierd shit.

Thanks again all!

Jim

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I apologise for my bad attitude...I think I'll grab a brew and shut up!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I apologise for my bad attitude...I think I'll grab a brew and shut up!
View Quote

Accepted. [:)]

I think I'll go delete my smart ass reply.

Can you toss me one of those brews? I'm parched after that ordeal! [beer]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]
That will teach you to put bubble gum on the end of your barrel.  It goes behind your ear, silly boy.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#26]
This may sound silly, but I wonder if a bug crawled down the barrel before I shot those last four shots?

The reason I wonder is a week before, I was bore sighting my .308 to get my new scope on the paper, and after making an adjustment, I looked down the bore and saw darkness. I was like "What the fu...?"

One of those super huge mosquito looking things had crawled in the muzzle. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay now your scaring me... PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE....
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#28]
To gum up the works as bad as it did, that would have to be one heck of a bug!!!  And most of it would have burned or been blown out the end I would think.

Could be wrong though.  What a strange problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#29]
No, really! I'm serious! I saw black and was like "What the fu..?"

He hadn't done in very far, but his body was halfway in through the muzzle.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#30]
How many times do we have to tell you not to clean your guns in an enclosed space.  Open some windows man.  Let the fresh air in.  Seriously, Hoppes #9 in concentrated amounts made me see flying green monkeys.  Vicious little bastards really.  Oh, wait a minute that was Jose Cuervo not Hoppes. Sorry, my mistake.

Big Bugs, huh?  You've seen Men In Black too many times.  Did it leave a green spectral trail and crave sugar water.  Well, we've got a pissed off bug running around in a critter_FR suit with a brand new AR15.com LEGP rifle and a bad attitude.  Don't worry though the Universe is safe with me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The AP-74 is a .22 rimfire copy of the AR-15... it had me fooled the first time I saw one. I don't know if they are still available, but I would sure like to have one.

FITTER out
View Quote

They're hard to find, that's for sure. I picked this one up for my daughter on Auction Arms, for $275, which is a pretty good deal, I think, since they seem to be pretty scarce.

I shot about 120 rounds of CCI Mini Mag through it on Tuesday, and I was major league impressed with the way it shoots. Lighter loads do not cycle the action though. I tried the regular strength Super X and that didn't work.

I used a 6 inch Shoot and See target, and zeroed it for a six o'clock hold at 50 yards, then moved my board to 75 then 100 yards, and with the same 6 o'clock hold, only saw a very small drop in POI. That mini mag is some pretty hot stuff.

It grouped very nicely at all three ranges, so before I turn it over to the kid for good, I am going to shoot it in a couple of rimfire silhouette shoots. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many times do we have to tell you not to clean your guns in an enclosed space.  Open some windows man.  Let the fresh air in.  Seriously, Hoppes #9 in concentrated amounts made me see flying green monkeys.  Vicious little bastards really.  Oh, wait a minute that was Jose Cuervo not Hoppes. Sorry, my mistake.

Big Bugs, huh?  You've seen Men In Black too many times.  Did it leave a green spectral trail and crave sugar water.  Well, we've got a pissed off bug running around in a critter_FR suit with a brand new AR15.com LEGP rifle and a bad attitude.  Don't worry though the Universe is safe with me.
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!!

No, Really! It was this big! [:)]

<---------------------------------------------->

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
That big!!!! What the hell are you shooting that would let a bug that big crawl up the bore?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Matt S:
Unless you had let it soak in water, or somehow got it really wet in there, I would call RRA about it first.

They are not going to want bad publicity of their LEGP on AR-15.com.  You fired stuff labelled as non-corrosive(I checked)

Sorry to here about it.

BTW is an AP-74 an AK-74 clone?
View Quote

The AP-74 is an AR15 look alike in .22 rimfire.
This one was made by Armi Jager, and I picked it up on auction arms for $275. Rather hard to find one though.

With CCI mini mag, it shoots unbelievably well. So well in fact, that I'm taking it to the next  silhouette shoot. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That big!!!! What the hell are you shooting that would let a bug that big crawl up the bore?
View Quote

Well it was that long, but it was less than 308 thousandths wide. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone know of anything that might look like rust, but appear almost like a redish tar in the rifling grooves. It even appears
to ball up.
View Quote

Gee whiz,
lead comes to mind.
It sounds
like you might have
caused an instantaneous chemical reaction.

What shoot are you doing on Sunday?
I hear it's gonna be nasty.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a similar situation last summer.  The rust colored substance was actually tumbling media that had stuck to the inside of the reloads I made back when I was a "clueless" reloader.  Since tumbling media is abrasive, I gave a bunch of the affected ammo to someone I can't stand.  He "broke in" his brand new Bushmaster with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top