Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 1:34:03 PM EDT
Just wondering.. I have a preban receiver that a guy bought from me.. He wants me to send it COD.. I've never done this before, Is it safe?, He says he will pay the COD charges.. What are your thoughts??

Thanks,
  Chris
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to send you a MO, or F-off.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Only problem with COD is that it can take quite a while for you to get your funds from the shipping company. I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as your not in a hurry to get the money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
there are other ways to do this, there are companys on the inet that deal in 3rd party transfers.

you send item, he sends funds, when third party recives both and confirms that both are as should be, they send them to there prespective targets, minus a small fee of course.

offer his this and if this is no good, don't trust him..
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it all depends. Is the guy an FFL dealer? In this case I think the answer is yes. It is a common practice for FFL dealers to ship and receive COD. The carrier will not release the goods without getting the money first. If they do, they are responsible for paying you back if they loose the package. This is really the safest way for both individuals.

Also, I personally know the guy you are talking about and he is a stand up individual. Believe me, as an FFL dealer, he has more to loose than you do.

I would never get involved with an internet third party company. They are all anti-gun and I doubt they would do it anyway.

He should pay the additional charges for COD though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, he is an ffl (will be receiving a copy in a few days) Thanks for the replys.. I have also talked to him and it seems legit. Off it goes..

Thanks Door Kicker..

Chris
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
When I used to have my FFL I did buy with COD and sold COD cash. It took about 2 or 3 weeks to get my money. If you send it this way ask for cash or certified funds or you may just get a bad check, but in this case the customer is known as a good guy.
just my 0.02 Ron
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I think COD to an FFL is ok. I try to do all my shipping deals with a USPS MO. Since the other guy requested COD and offered to pay for it, that's ok also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
As pointed out, it will take a while for you to get your money.  I don't do CODs for this reason.  

Being an FFL does not make you honest.  You don't automatically have more to loose.  I've know plenty of FFLs that would order stuff COD, then not have the money when it showed up because some other deal fell through.  They would just refuse the shipment and you get stuck with the shipping, and your shipment floating around the carrier's system for weeks.  ALOT of FFLs will do this.  It'd be great to believe that an FFL automatically makes you honest, but you know that's not the case.

It's plenty safe.  The shipment is not released by the carrier until payment is made.

The only person you need to be worried about being safe is yourself.  If you don't do CODs, you simply won't have to do CODs.  There's always someone out there that will buy your goods on your terms, or you aren't doing something right.  COD protects the buyer, but does nothing for the seller that a posteal money order doesn't do, and do faster.  

I would COD something to someone I knew or had delt with before.  If that's the case though, I'd just take a personal check.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top