Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell I'm in - I learned enough in the short time I have been here to cover the amount. Thanks for a great site.

SuperDave
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in.

Are you going to e-mail us about registration/payment?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
People never cease to amaze me.  We all know that people only hear what they want to hear and after reading the threads here it is obvious that they only comprehend what they want when they read.

1. One person said that $50.00 per year would suit his budget better than $60.00 per year.  After that several people said that they "were in" for $50.00 per year as though that now was the cost.  The stated cost is $60.00 per year.

2.  Goat Boy has stated several times that this is optional, NOT MANDATORY.  You can continue using the site as you always have been without making a financial contribution.

3.  The membership needs to be an annual payment.  Goat Boy is an army of one trying to keep the site running, make improvements, etc.  He does not need the added hassle of collecting a monthly fee from everyone.

Hey, he is trying his very best to do us a favor by keeping this site active.  How many of you have even the slighest idea of how much of his personal time and finances have been spent on this site?  How many of you would give so freely of your time and money for a bunch of people who you didn't know, who at times do nothing but whine and complain, and when you ask for a little help from them tell you that you are being greedy and unreasonable.  

Think of it this way, how many of you would get up every morning and go to work if you weren't getting paid?  Yea, that's right, go to work just for the hell of it.  That is what you are asking him to do.  To give freely of his time and money for a bunch of strangers and get nothing back in return.  Would you do it?  I know I wouldn't!

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm willing to pay the $60.00 and would prefer to do this by PayPal or Money Order. [beer]....I like the idea of the one time $100.00 life time membership also, but that might not be enough to support the site over the long haul.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tangle S:
People never cease to amaze me.  We all know that people only hear what they want to hear and after reading the threads here it is obvious that they only comprehend what they want when they read.

1. One person said that $50.00 per year would suit his budget better than $60.00 per year.  After that several people said that they "were in" for $50.00 per year as though that now was the cost.  The stated cost is $60.00 per year.

2.  Goat Boy has stated several times that this is optional, NOT MANDATORY.  You can continue using the site as you always have been without making a financial contribution.

3.  The membership needs to be an annual payment.  Goat Boy is an army of one trying to keep the site running, make improvements, etc.  He does not need the added hassle of collecting a monthly fee from everyone.

Hey, he is trying his very best to do us a favor by keeping this site active.  How many of you have even the slighest idea of how much of his personal time and finances have been spent on this site?  How many of you would give so freely of your time and money for a bunch of people who you didn't know, who at times do nothing but whine and complain, and when you ask for a little help from them tell you that you are being greedy and unreasonable.  

Think of it this way, how many of you would get up every morning and go to work if you weren't getting paid?  Yea, that's right, go to work just for the hell of it.  That is what you are asking him to do.  To give freely of his time and money for a bunch of strangers and get nothing back in return.  Would you do it?  I know I wouldn't!

View Quote

Neither would I.  I think the price was just an overwhelming number for some though (like me), especially when we all [i]suggested[/i] the membership fees, 1.) We ralled around a number 1/3 the size, and 2.) All of these extra "features" seem a bit too numerous, a few of them no member really ever thought of (probably b/c they would be unnecessary).  I'm just trying to play mediator here and finding a good balance between price, functionality, and how *I* want/have to pay for this site.

Nobody is disproving the logic behind the fee...it just hit us with a slightly higher "markup", if you will, then what everybody expected.  There is bound to be skepticism.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in for sure.  But, can we pay by the minute like a phone card...   Just kidding! i thought i'd join the 'pain-in-the-ass' club for a second.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Jewbroni,

You statement was well said and logical.  However everyone needs to keep in mind that the membership fee is not mandatory to keep using the site.  As I understand it, it would only be necessary if you wanted access to the additional features.  If one does not want access to those areas and doesn't think that they are necessary then one should not join as a paying member.

When the group purchas was first announced "every one was in", some for as many as three of the limited editon rifles.  This is the internet where everyone is anonymous.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a good portion of those who said the wanted anywhere from one to three were reacting emotionally.  That is easy to do when one is anonymous.

I'm sure Goat Boy also knows that regardless of the amount set for membership that there are gong to be "tons of people" who at this point in time are saying "sign me up" and are doing so in good faith.  However, when it comes time to actually make payment, just like the LEGP, only a portion will be willing to send their money.  

If every current user of this site would send $10.00 in cash to Goat Boy I'm sure that would adequetly cover his cost and pay for his time.  That "ain't gonna happen".  Realistically he will be lucky if he gets 200 people to pay for the privledge of keeping this site active.  That will gross him $12,000.00 a year.  Not even enough to cover operating cost let alone pay for his time.

I guess my question is why would he want to spend such a tremendous amount of his time and money to keep this site available?  If this is not going to be a profitable venture then I would recommend that he use his talent and knowledge, of which he has an extreme amount of, and money in a much more rewarding venture.

Why do people think that this should be free to them?  Just because this is the internet, is that why? If so that isn't even remotely logical. Do people really think that there is no cost involved?  Name one business that has expenses that provides their services for free.

Goat Boy, I would recommend that you set it up so you at least break even with your actual expensed and a reasonable reimbursement for your time.  If the majority of those using the site can't understand that then let them take over the responsibility.  I haven't seen anyone offer to join with you to share the cost as a partner.    
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
OK I'm in. But $60 a yr can buy a lot of Spam. Guess I'll have to switch back to Top Ramen and hotdogs.

I like Pauls idea of getting a discount if you pay up front. How bout pay 1yr up front and get 2 mos free?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
I really don't mean to sound brash or insulting with this post.  I am sure that they can make an exception for you though....   How about if they set up a paypal debit for you at $.14 cents a day?  [>(]
View Quote

I like this!  In fact, I make a bit of monthly money from my Money Market account with PayPal (I treat this account as my savings account, it's great).  Tell ya what, if GB or EdSr. can incorporate a few different payment methods, such as this one, I'm in.  It's not about how much I can afford; its about how much I can dish out [i]at one time[/i].  My income level is inconsistent with my spending level, just the breaks I guess.

Jewbroni~

Sidenote - I still think $30/year would cover the, what is it, $2000/month server costs (what is our server cost?  I've noticed our maximum bandwidth/capacity has dropped)?  At a 1000 member subscription, that still allows for some space.  Again, coming from a guy with no money, I think $60/year is still more than fair for the information derived from this website, plus the additional features that are being paid for.  I'm just in dire requirement of payment options.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m in.
In the last year or so, I’ve saved A LOT OF MONEY because of the knowledge that the members have shared on both this site and the old AR-15.com.  
We’ve all been spoiled by the generosity of Ed and the others who make this site possible.
Let me know where to send a check.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in.  Frankly, I don't need and can't use most of the extra features being offered (my computer is only one notch up from a coal-fired antique, don't have a scanner, etc.).  I wonder how much that will drive up the operating costs, versus tangible benefits to the majority of members?  None the less, I've enjoyed and learned enough from AR15.com that I'm happy to help out with the expenses. Thanks again to the Avilas and others who donate their time, money and effort to benefit us all!  
[beer]
John Feamster
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Just let us know which payments trace back to the U.S. Department of Treasury.

[rail]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Can I pay in liquor and whores instead of money?

Balming
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve given my time and energy freely to help others on this board, and will not
pay for the privilege of doing so, nor will I do so as a “second class” member.

RK

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]
id glady pay 60 dollers a year can i pay in 3 easy payments of 20 dollers each im a poor college student
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds good! How about an easy pay-3 payment plan for those who cant cough up the full $60.00 at once.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have a problem with buying a subscription either. This is a very cool website.    [beer]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Very, very cool. Bring it on. I've saved myself and my dad so much money with this site, it's worth it to keep it alive and get some extra goodies for myself too. I'm not afraid to trust these GD and Ed either.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Monthly billing is most likely out, but perhaps 2 or 3 payments may be possible... it's still too early to figure that stuff out, but I will work on it. The site is my first concern, money comes second...

-- GB
View Quote

Now you're gettin' it.  I think even I can scrounge up $20 if need be.  And when I can mosey up $60, I'd be more than happy to pay for one yearly session in full.  You have to think about it this way:  if your power company charged you for the next year's worth of service, but didn't accomodate monthly payments, could you honestly cough up the cash?  While we're dealing with numbers that are a thousand bucks less here, it's still just a matter of principle.  Anyways, I'm just offering [i]suggestions[/i].  Don't let anybody outright tell you what you or EdSr. is doing is a bad idea, b/c it is damn well fine.  Keep up the good work, and just keep us informed on the progress.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Goatboy, what happens 6 months after the payment system goes into affect and you see payments dropping off, like when JoeBlow gets tired of sending in a $5 check every month? Will you consider further restrictions on non-payers? Will you "nag" people into resuming old accounts or starting new ones?

What happens 12 months down the road when you're tired of dealing with complaints from paying members, bitch-fests from non-payers, and you're still not making enough $$$ to cover costs?

FYI, I just contributed to the server fund myself, so it's not like I'm a cheap bastard. I think it's admirable to say, "count me in" but like others mentioned I think the actual participation rate will be low, and then you'll be hit with the scenarios mentioned above. I'd rather see a low fee ($10/year) that got people a lot of extra features for little cost, and then a gradual increase IF NECESSARY and/or additional features ala carte (I know, an administrative nightmare).

Just some thoughts....

Scott
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
im in if i can send money to an adress im not into the over the internet pay thing.tell me were to send it and it will be sent
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]
This site is the BEST. I'm in but make several diffferent levels ( price) for those of modest income.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Goatboy,

I am quite upset with you !

You haven't explained it well enough (with your 15,000,000+ posts here explaining that payment to AR15.com will never be a requirement to visit).

Does this mean that if I do not pay you that my computer will stop working?

Does this affect my telephone service?
(or power and lights if I live in Kalifornia?)

Will I have to turn my guns in to you if I cannot afford to pay the paltry amount of money that you are asking to just slightly cover some of the expenses to run this site?

Can you please sell your house and all of your possessions to provide all of the new features for free to the members here ?  Remember -- The internet is free, right?

I don't get it?  Some (and I stress -- SOME) of these people are CLUELESS!

How many times do they have to be told that fees for membership ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE HERE JUST AS ALWAYS ....?

Argggg!

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]
RBAD,the scary part is,some of them own firearms.mmk
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]
For me there would be no added benefits, since I would probably not use the above mentioned "extra" utilities.  

but still...

I love this site.  The people who post are varied in ideas, ideologies and background.  Most are "individuals" who, like me understand that differences are necessary and required for growth, even if some do piss us off once in awhile.  At the same time, we stand together in our beliefs for the 2nd Amendment, our right to defend ourselves and our loved ones, and well, hell... we like to shoot dammit.

I dig this place.  I've told myself that if there's something I can do to help keep it afloat, I'd do it.  So... (in a very long winded sorta way)....

Count me in.  My E-mail is listed.  Let me know when, and how to make "payments" or a "payment".

Thank you for this site, and all the demented gun nuts that use it.

Stewart
[8P]

Edited because I forgot to put the [8P] in it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By John Feamster:
I'm in.  Frankly, I don't need and can't use most of the extra features being offered (my computer is only one notch up from a coal-fired antique, don't have a scanner, etc.).  I wonder how much that will drive up the operating costs, versus tangible benefits to the majority of members?  None the less, I've enjoyed and learned enough from AR15.com that I'm happy to help out with the expenses. Thanks again to the Avilas and others who donate their time, money and effort to benefit us all!  
[beer]
John Feamster
View Quote

Mr. Feamster,

I greatly enjoyed reading your wonderful book "Black Magic". So far I have read it twice and the second time I picked up on things that I missed the first time around. I keep your book nearby for reference, and I have shared it with two other AR shooters. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. I also enjoy reading your articles in "Precision Shooting".

I sent a question of price to CLE to build a custom rifle and have been anxiously waiting for 7 days. Some day soon I hope to be able to purchase a benchrest type AR upper from CLE.

Congratulations on your "Screamer" group using the AR style rifle![beer]

Are you going to write another book? I anxiously await.

Goatboy,

Thanks for the great site and let me know where to send the check. I check in to this site every day and have enjoyed it alot and have read great advise on the boards.

It is a great way to start my day browsing the forums before I go to work.[bounce]

Dan[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I 2nd that...Can I get an e-mail or info on when and where the new memberships take effect and where the check needs to be sent. (address..etc.) So the yearly is $60 how about two year memberships? Is there a discount?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to have to agree with Jewbroni. While I probably could give $60 for this membership, I'm not really getting anything for my money. Yes I realize the cost to keep this site running, but I donated money to the server fund when I bought my LEGP. That is the major reason I am here. I'd be sad to see this site go though. I have learned a lot here. But $60 seems like a lot. Maybe when I graduate from college a get a better paying job I could pay that. But right now it just is not feasible. Most of my money is going to pay off my CC for the LEGP. I do appreciate the time and money put in to this site by GB and others, which is why I donated what I could. That's just my opinion though, and I am glad to see that membership is an option.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#35]
This all seems simple and reasonable.  We who throw in $60 get extra features.  Let's not make it complicated.  Maybe calling it "Premier" or "Marksman" level membership (or some other name) will make it more clear and prevent at least some misunderstandings.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I hope you all aren’t pissing in my direction, especially you RBAD.

I read the new proposed board layout, they asked for our opinions and I gave
mine.  I’m sorry if it hurt some of your feelings.

I’ve been on this board since sometime mid 99 and remember checking out the
board as far back as 1998.

Again, honestly, a picture by my name and access to the elitist section of this
board isn’t worth $60 a year to me.  However, this thread seems to indicate there
are a lot of people willing to pay.  Believe what DBrewer842 (Dave) has to say,
this will turn into a first and second class membership, the picture and title next to
the username will make sure of that.  And I for one will not hang around here as a
second class member.

I understand that software, hardware, bandwidth, and time are not free, do what
you have to do.  Maybe this board has grown to big, and perhaps it’s time to thin
the herd, maybe it will improve and not hinder the site.

All my best wishes to AR-15.com and it’s future growth and longevity.

Oh, and could you change my membership status to “Freeloader”.

[b]R[/b]ighteous [b]K[/b]ill
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#37]
:)
As long as you accept M.O I am in :)
and will gladly pay for more,nicer,expanded
features :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#38]
My $.02 worth: I think a lot of people will say they're "in" on this until it is time to pay....then I think you will see a limited number of folks come across with the money. $60 is a significant "investment" for a lot of people to put into what will be a "luxury" version of membership in a club which can be compared to memberships in other hobby types of clubs, etc. To me, it boils down to what you need to do to pay for operation of the site. If you are interested in making sufficient income to cover expenses, consider a lower annual fee...say $30 which I believe would bring in more paying members and more total revenue than the $60 membership. If covering all expenses is less of a concern and you want exclusivity, make the fee higher than $60, but be prepared to have fewer paying members and probably less total revenue.
I will be an enthusiastic participant at the level I can afford no matter how it goes.
Kelly
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#39]
We're talking 16¢ a day!!! About the cost of one round of .223 ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I will paY! I WANT THE EMAIL FORWARDING SERVICE!
Goatboy, please take my name and email. I love the idea. The email is worth the 5 bucks amonth.
Scratch
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#41]
hey! I am definitely in... i have my own website, and now the difficulties of managing and operating a site... i used to have a chatroom, forums and other things on my site which became too burdensome, and expensive...

i am certain that i would like to donate and become a member... i have benefited tremendously from this board, and expect to do so.

just let me know where to send a check!!!

Jeff C/NY~~ Blade
http://www.JeffChung.com
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#42]
GoatBoy:  You requested opinions, and I'll be
happy to share mine.  You need to carefully
reconsider your price target and expected
level of participation.  This is your business.

At first glance $60 appears WAY to high to me.

Note I did not say I could or could not afford
it, and I did not say I will or will not pay it.

I would hazard a guess that you would end up
with more net site income if you were in the
$20 or maybe even $25 range.

You can bet that Rush had scores of highly paid
lawyers, consultants, and marketeers come up
with the price he is charging for his website,
which I think is in the range I suggested.    

Just one man's opinion...  Treat it like a
business, and a business decision.  Product
pricing is very important.  The site deserves
to do well and pay for itself, and pay well for
the individual time you and others put into it.

And one other friendly bit of advice, don't
make ANY decisions based on how many folks type
on their keyboards that "they are in".

DanM
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#43]
GB,

Screw it! I'm in!(At $60/yr)

For the cost of a beer at the airport once a month I get access to just about any answer to any gun question I have. Hell I spend more than that on gas money to the library every year.

I ran a public BBS in wisconsin at a long time ago.(First 386/33 dedicated to a BBS) Fido hub and all that crap. I lost money hand over fist relying on donations. Seems the same people kept giving, but the rest just floated along.

I think your paradigm is sound.

Jack
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#44]
the porn site i go to is only $25 a year, and does quite well
but $50 for Ar15.com and no nekked women? me no think so

and what happens if your pay the bucks and get kicked off for being an obnoxious idiot? refund ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I won't balk at the fee for advanced and protected features.

I would rather send the fee in via the U.S. Mail in the form of a USPS Money Order.

I would also like to protect my "Forum Identity".
 I want to use it on the advanced version.  Others, too, may be wondering if they will lose the name they are known by now.
I don't want to have to change ID's again.
Would this be a problem?

I'm looking forward to being a Charter Member!
Instructions on sending in the fee again, please?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I probably wouldn't use the "extra" features but I enjoy coming to this web page and would love to support it.

One question though.  Can we get Membership T shirts?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
this is getting ridiculous...

pay $60, get extra features (i'm still in, by the way) NO NAKED CHICKS, SORRY

View Quote

Ya never can tell with Goatboy...  He might even have LIVE ones !    [:P]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Consider me in.  This is by far my number one site on the internet, and I am willing to support however I can afford to do so.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top