Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/15/2001 6:35:06 AM EDT
I've seen the following saying attributed to Benjamin Franklin but I haven't been able to confirm it: "Men will be ruled by God or by tyrants." Did Franklin really say this? If not, who did?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:52:06 AM EDT
Matt, I searched through Bartlett's and a few other sources and could not find the quote or anything similar attributed to Franklin or any other author. Are you certain of the original quotation?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:46:25 AM EDT
I just new it was gonna be A. The beer quote (Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy) B. The fart quote (Fart proudly?) I see these attributed to him also, are they his? Anymore strange ones by Franklin..he sounds like he was a member of this board! :)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:58:53 AM EDT
"Fart Proudly" is a GREAT book! Get a copy if you can find it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:57:17 AM EDT
Here is the answer to who made it. Ron "If men are not ruled by God, they will be ruled by tyrants." -- William Penn
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:30:15 AM EDT
Thanks, Ron! I think the phrasing is more elegant in the version I was trying to attribute but at least I won't be losing sleep over this now. [beer] Here's a good quote that actually is from old Ben: "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
Top Top