Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2001 5:16:12 PM EDT
This is just too much. Now some group wants to ban dodge ball because it's too violent. Maybe they should ask the kids first. On ABC News all the kids the reporter talked to thought it was a great game.

[url]http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/dailynews/dodgeball010607.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What's next, football??? This is disgusting.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
well more kids are killed by football then all the school shootings combined
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I used to love playing dodge ball.  There was nothing like when you and your best friend were the only two left and there ya stood in the middle of the shooting gallery back to back!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess we are going to be stuck with soccer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 19 and I still like to get into a good game of dodgeball every now and then.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
What are the kids going to do now?  Sorry, in life you can't have winners unless you have losers.  If they don't learn that in school, then they're going to learn it the hard way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm 19 and I still like to get into a good game of dodgeball every now and then.

radioman
View Quote

Dude I'm 30 and would love to get in a good dodgeball game. There probably wouldn't be near as many problems if people did do something cool like that.

I got it! A UN referendum mandating dodgeball over lunch hour. It could turn into smear the queer on people you didn't like...
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I was a kid we used to call it
"Miami Murder Ball". Always loved it ! [:D]
View Quote

"Smear the Queer" for us Iowans cuz you were a fag if you were no good at it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm 41 and I play dodge ball with my 9 and 11 YO, along with wall ball.  Multiple ball dodgeball is the coolest! If my 9YO can take pitches from 12 YO's that leave stitch marks, he can take a blast from DAD with a big old rubber ball.  We play a version of dodge ball in the pool, too.  With skip discs!

Yea Baby! [:D] [8D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are the kids going to do now?  Sorry, in life you can't have winners unless you have losers.  If they don't learn that in school, then they're going to learn it the hard way.
View Quote

Now that is an excellent point
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Its a great game. It teaches unit teamwork and individual survival at the same time.  I loved playing it.  I predicted a while ago that it would only be a matter of time until the politically correct demonized it and tried to ban it.

Twenty years ago, we also used to call it "kill the man" and "light 'em up".  I never remember anyone ever getting hurt by it.  It is far safer to play than football or even soccer. Getting kicked by someone by accident hurts alot more than getting hit with a dodge ball.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Dodge ball was my favorite game growing up.  We used to play it in the gym during recess when the weather was bad.  It got pretty hectic with 15-25 balls flying around.  I can only recall one person ever getting hurt.  When I was 12 I threw a ball at a girl while playing dodge ball.  She tried to extend her arm to deflect the ball and it fractured her radius and ulna.  I was already 6'2" and about 190 lbs when I was 12 and could throw some pretty good heat.  

I'll bet the folks trying to ban dodge ball were the same kids that lasted about 10 seconds when the game started.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid we used to call it
"Miami Murder Ball". Always loved it ! [:D]
View Quote

"Smear the Queer" for us Iowans cuz you were a fag if you were no good at it.
View Quote

Nnaaaaa you got it all wrong.  Smear the queer is when one guy runs with a ball and everyone else tries to tackle him.  When down the ball is tossed straight in the air and game continues.  Now that 's a great game too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is just too much. Now some group wants to ban dodge ball because it's too violent. Maybe they should ask the kids first. On ABC News all the kids the reporter talked to thought it was a great game.
View Quote

*shrug*  I don't know, it seems to me that these days, dodging projectiles would be a very important skill to acquire in order to survive in our public schools.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
It's forbidden in Florida and Texas?  What the hell??!

I'd expect this sh*t in Kalifornia, Massachussets, etc.  But Florida and Texas???  How did THAT get through?  [pissed]

Mike

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
And another thing...My little girls will never know the joys of flying off of a merry-go-round at 80mph because some mom sued. They will never know the joy of teeter-totters either cuz some punk broke his ankle and mom sued...ban all the dangerous toys and games...ban it all to "save the children" Land of the free-My *ss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top