Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2001 9:12:12 AM EDT
i was wonder if anybody knew the whole story.

night of the dead (black and white original, color remake)
dawn of the dead (original color)
day of the dead(original color)

all cool movies but none of them talk about how the zombies started..does any body know

and in the return of the living dead and its counterparts they talk about a military chemical
(tin foil hat time) starting it. but this is not the same story line...bullets to the head dont work(electricity does though)

so my question is does anybody know ...are their books or other movies that tell the whole story when i was a kid thease were my favorite movies next to star wars.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#1]
visit www.homepageofthedead.com
it's a great site,with info on all the films.
As for your question on how it started,it's good that you never find out what exactly happened.Makes it more interesting.
In the films,you always hear the authorities saying "possibly a viral outbreak"
and some are saying humanity is being punished and stuff,so there are lots of possibilities in the series of films,but I think it's cool that they never actually find out exactly what is happening.
My personal favorites are
Dawn of the Dead Special anniversarry DVD
because it's been remastered,and it looks and sounds great.
And
The Night of the Living Dead 1990 remake.
It's basically the original with the people barricading themselves in the house,except it's in 1990.At the end they are saved by hunters with AR-15s.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not positive 'cause it's been a while since I've watched any of them, but I seem to remember the movie alluding to radiation emittted from a passing comet animating the dead in the original Night of the Living Dead (B&W).
As far as the other two, I'm not sure it ever really says how it ultimately started.

-Coal-Cracker
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Shucks.  I thought that this was going to be a thread about White Zombie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]
True that about Night of the living dead. Dawn of the dead Zombies were animated by an experimental chemical accidently released into the ground water while the Govt. was transporting it to safe storage. That is the one where they scream "I want your brains!" isn't it? Eating brains, they claim soothes the pain of being dead. I'll have to try it after I'm dead. I'll let you know if it works. Then again if it works you might want to stay clear of dead Uncle Buck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
According to the original NOTLD, it was thought to be caused by the return of a spacecraft from Venus, which brought back a strange form of radiation.

In Dawn, it was only speculated as to a voodoo saying of "when there is no more room in hell, the dead will rise and walk the earth".

In Day, the scientists never were able to find out what was causing it. The only discovery was that the reanimated could exist for years before the body decayed to the point of uselessness.

Here is a case study on reanimation:

Alomal-137 Epidemiology Case Study
CDC
Center for Infectious Diseases
Field Office #201G
Anchorage, Alaska
July 25th, 1998
Final Status Report
[url]people.mn.mediaone.net/lonmiller/fiction/report.htm[/url]

FM-101-97 STAFF OFFICERS FIELD MANUAL DOCTRINES AND PROCEDURES REANIMATED DEAD
[url]www.homepageofthedead.com/fiction/fict74.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I do! In the second- "dawn of the dead" the black dude said its voodoo "when theirs no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth".
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By uncle buck:
True that about Night of the living dead. Dawn of the dead Zombies were animated by an experimental chemical accidently released into the ground water while the Govt. was transporting it to safe storage. That is the one where they scream "I want your brains!"
View Quote

That was from "Return of the Living Dead", which wasn't part of the Romero series.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Matt VDW:
Shucks.  I thought that this was going to be a thread about White Zombie.
View Quote

Wasn't there supposed to be a movie coming out that Rob Zombie had something to do with? I remember a preview that just showed two guys in chem suits digging a hole in the ground. Looked interesting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
[size=6][red]BRAINS[/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
"Send more cops..."
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone else seen the FULL length
over-dubbed version of the original b&w N.O.T.L.D.
called Night of the day of the dawn of the
return of the etc. etc. ........living dead?
That movie is too funny.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Originally Posted By uncle buck:
True that about Night of the living dead. Dawn of the dead Zombies were animated by an experimental chemical accidently released into the ground water while the Govt. was transporting it to safe storage. That is the one where they scream "I want your brains!"
View Quote

That was from "Return of the Living Dead", which wasn't part of the Romero series.
View Quote

I am in awe.[^]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]
name's Ash..... housewares.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Stop it...I'm scared
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I will have to ask my brother; he's a zombologist.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
  All of the zombies currently held in our research facility here in Florida were rounded up by a joint C.D.C./D.O.D. task force in the 1950s during the aftermath of an industrial accident in rural Pennsylvania,(the details of which remain classified).  
  At this time, 23 of the original 150 units remain in original "functioning" condition, while the rest have been neutralized for research purposes, or loaned to other institutions in the form of animate, but unassembled test subjects.
  Our research and development department has been able to answer, and confirm three of the frequently asked questions about these alternatively animated beings :
  1) The only way to neutralize one of these
     subjects permanently, short of total
     obliteration, is (as previously thought)
     destruction, or removal of the brain.
  2) The seemingly insatiable craving that
     these subjects have for human brain
     matter, is actually a craving for the
     cerebrospinal fluid which is produced
     in the ventricles of the brain, and
     surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
     For some reason, ingestion of CSF seems
     to stabilize what little brain function
     remains intact, such as motor function.
  3) As previously feared, any healthy human
     who is exposed to the saliva, or other
     bodily secretions of one of these
     subjects through open wounds,(including
     those who are killed, and partially
     eaten providing the brain is left
     intact) will be infected, and soon
     reanimated with all of the symptoms
     noted is previous subjects.

Extensive security measures have been taken at our facility to ensure no further outbreaks such as the one in Pennsylvania occur. Since 1958, only three "zombies" have managed to escape our high security holding facility. One being destroyed by an alligator in the surrounding swamps, and the other two being captured in a nearby town by our rapid response team, with minimal civilian casualties.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top