Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2001 3:22:14 PM EDT
I was wondering how often I should replace my premium carry ammo.  It does get tarnished after a while, but that shouldn't affect it's performance.  After chambering and ejecting live rounds for a while without firing them (such as for cleaning purposes, etc.), the rounds get a little "chewed up".  When do you decide to just shoot them at your next trip to the range?

BTW, I carry a Sig P220 with .45 ACP Corbon +P 230 grain and two spare magazines.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Its can get expensive but I replace mine every 2 or 3 months.  It will last longer than that but I think its better to be safe than sorry.  Also, it keeps me in practice shooting the actual loads I will bet my life on, instead of getting too used to practice ammo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I obviously mean in my above post that I shoot it when I replace it.  I shoot the mags empty then reload them with new ammo.  Its also a good way to make sure your mag springs havent died after being loaded for a while.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Every 2-3 months.  It accomplishes two things.  It ensures that the gun works well with that ammo(which you should have done already) and it makes sure you know what to expect from that ammo.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I've been doing too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry Corbon ammo exclusively and I usually buy two boxes about every six months. So I guess I change mine about the same as everyone else so far. I don't really plan it out, but after it has been loaded for a while Ill just shoot it one day at the range.

Another thing I will do is unload the mag and change the position of the cartridges in the magazine every once in a while. That way the same round isn't being chambered and unchambered all of the time. Since I always carry one in the hole, I will rack the slide everytime I pick it up when Im going out the door. Then as soon as I get home Ill unload the gun, load the cartridge back in the mag, put the mag back in the gun, holster it and put it back in its cubby hole till I leave again.

I don't know if it really makes a difference, I doubt it does, but it makes me feel better not abusing the same cartridge over and over. Then they all get chewed up equally.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Right after I use it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been shooting 30.06 ammo mfg. in the 50s.
.308 from the 70s, 223 from 80s, .45 from the 50s. Why waste expensive ammo? It should last
30 years or more; its not like bread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have been shooting 30.06 ammo mfg. in the 50s.
.308 from the 70s, 223 from 80s, .45 from the 50s. Why waste expensive ammo? It should last
30 years or more; its not like bread.
View Quote

Ammo can last a long time when stored in a cool and dry place, but carry ammo is in a warm, sweaty, and humid place.  How sure can you be that, over the years, the oil from your pistol has not damaged the primer?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 4 Original boxes of Norma Yellow Box 10MM that I use for carry-

I rotate every 2 Months. Since they aren't making anymore, and it is very hard to come by, I have to be juducious with it's use, and care.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
i carry cor-bons, and replace them every 6 months, with the exception of the round i keep in the chamber, which i replace more often.  it is exposed to a small amount of oil, and i don't want a dud on the one that really counts!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:48:51 AM EDT
[#14]
For what its worth I change mine every 6 months.

Six
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]
As a Departmental policy I change my ammo once a year. Same for revolvers or pistols. As I am issued new ammo once a year I hoard the "old" ammo.
Every once a while I will fire some of the oldest just to see and never had a misfire.

A warning to pistol carriers: As you put rounds into the chamber for carry the forces upon that round can cause the bullet to collapse into the case, if you use the same cartridge over and over again. I would suggest using the same round all the time for a while, as opposed to mixing it back into the mag somewhere, or never use the same round two or three times.

The last we need is a self induced stoppage when we really need the weapon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:31:14 AM EDT
[#16]
q-man   you should also replace the springs in your clips every year so they dont get weak a have a miss load at a bad time                

flaming red
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Once a year I buy new carry ammo.  I use 9mm 115gr corbon +p's in my pistol and use 115gr +p's in my wifes .357.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:52:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I change my ammo every month. The first Sunday of the month is Public Day at the S.C.G.A.A. Range and I show up every month and shoot till I'm out of ammo. I keep a small amount of more expensive ammunition for just in case I need it. I don't use much of the more expensive stuff. I suppose I shoot 5 rounds of #00 and 100 of #6. I just keep the shotgun on my gun rack in my truck. In Florida, you have to be 21 to own a handgun. By the way, as soon as I replace my busted .22 I'll use that at the range also. I fire 1000 - 2000 rounds in one day at the range with my .22, but the sling broke, it hit the concrete and it doesn't work anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Sure I shoot my Glock alot, but guess I need to swap my carry ammo as its been sitting in the mag for the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I have four mags that rotate on a weekly basis.  I carry one extra mag on me.  I dont have problem with my ammo getting "chewed up". I carry a Sig 229 and us HydraShock rounds.  I rotate the ammo about every 6 months.  
My .1/2 cents
Riz
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have four mags that rotate on a weekly basis.  I carry one extra mag on me.  I dont have problem with my ammo getting "chewed up". I carry a Sig 229 and us HydraShock rounds.  I rotate the ammo about every 6 months.  
My .1/2 cents
Riz
View Quote

You must load your magazines and chamber your weapon more carefully than I do then. I can clearly see small scratches and indentations on both the bullets and cases from the feed lips of the magazines and from inserting the bullets on top of one another in the mag. This is apparent in all of my weapons as well, so it doesn't appear to be a manufacture specific "problem" just normal wear and tear. While I wouldnt actually say they are "chewed" up, I can tell they have been loaded and chambered several times.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Every 3 months or 6 months max....

I shoot up what I have at the range and pop in fresh..... or is that pop-n-fresh...?

Hey - make sure it is nice and shiny!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I intend to use fresh ammo each month.  Springs in the mags will be replaced every 6 months, and pistol springs will be replaced each year.

Oh, and the gun will be field stripped once per month and cleaned; more if necessary due to conditions.  A full cleaning will be conducted once every six months.

Oh, and why the "future" outlook?  I don't live [yet] in a state that allows CCW.  [>(]  As for the frequency of doing everything, I figure that extra money paid will be well worth the extra security.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
My advice to anyone on this subject is related to practice. Regular training with your carry gun is critical. Equally important is PRACTICE WITH WHAT YOU CARRY !!!! Q-Man your defense load is a Cor-Bon +P load. Theres a vast difference between that load and a "plink all you want to" 230 gr. factory load. My point is if you practice with what you carry , and you practice often , you'll never worry if you need to replace it.  Just my opinion.....hope it helps.  -- Rooster
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I practice with my carry gun out to two hundred yards every trip to the range and load up fresh before we leave for home. Nearly every weekend now.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#27]
My department issues new duty ammo once a year and we shoot the old for qualification.

On my personal carry peices I try to keep the same rotation, but I know I have a couple revolvers which were carrying the same PMC Starfires for the past six years.  I just replaced them with more of the same, each one fired reliably - without a hitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top