Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2001 8:34:31 AM EDT
Please supply me with the materials I need to do a proper break in.  Realize that I've never done this before, so don't get too technical.  Right now, I have a bore cleaner solution, and break free (I believe), and Rem Oil, as well as the patches and brass brush.

I know about the 1 shot, clean, for 10 rounds, then 10 shots, clean, for 50 rounds.  What else should I know?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]
thebeekeeper1 has a great article for barrel break in. Drop him an email. Fine man, and will help you out. [smoke]

thebeekeeper1, beat me to the punch by 1 MOA.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I don't practice any brake-in procedure.  With new guns I just put couple of patches down the barrel with a bore solvent followed by several more clean patches.  Then I take it to the range and shoot it (some time just few round and other times several hundred rounds).  Afterwards I take it back home and clean it again with solvent and patched.  I never use brush in the barrel except after using cast bullets.  Never use SS or steel brush... only brass brush.    
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Orion: Read this [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=25831#lastPost[/url]

Got down until you see my post about the article from the Blue Press Staff, I got it from the Beekeeper1 and that is what I am going to do when I get my LEGP, if you need it in word format I have it too.

Carlos
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#5]
You do [b]NOT[/b] need to break in your barrel. In fact you really SHOULD NOT.

Some interesting information from Gail McMillan on Barrel Break In.  Worth reading.  Don't waste your time or your ammo or cause extra wear on your barrel.

Some of McMillan's comments on barrel break in.  The full text is in the link that follows.  Well worth reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~
The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in
~~~~~~~

[url]http://darrendong.com/tactical_shooting/Barrel%20break%20ins%20-%20The%20Firing%20Line%20Forums/Barrel%20break%20ins%20-%20The%20Firing%20Line%20Forums.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Boy am I confused now.  Who's advise to I follow?  Dillon's Blue Press, or Gail McMillen???

[>:/]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]
For a AR-15 chrm barrel is some ammo and a index finger gg
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Essentially it is up to you.  Break it in if you feel the need or want to do it, but realize that you don't need to do it at all, especially with an AR barrel.

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]Chromed lined[/b] AR barrels right Beekeeper and Palmetto?

Stainless Steel AR barrels seem more conducive to break-in.

Look here too:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=29623#lastPost[/url]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is just chrome moly.  Not chrome lined or stainless steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top