Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2001 6:11:44 PM EDT
About 8 or10 yrs ago at the gunshows me and friend seen these I believe they came in a brown cardboard box with the contract drawing papers or specs or something like that . Were these BS or the real deal, if I remember right they were only sellin for like 20bucks. Any info and who might have them for sale would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they are called
Kurkis.
The ones with the long
curved blades right?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be sending for two of COLD STEEL'S knives soon.  
The first is the VAQUERO GRANDE, a monster folder.
The second is the GURKHA KUKRI LIGHT, a lighter version of their Gurkha knives.

Go see the COLD STEEL site for pictures.  
[url]http://www.coldsteel.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
ALA-KAZAAM!
Genuine khukuris
from Nepal.
[url]http://www.knifeoutlet.com/ghurka.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, garden weasel.

Hey, it just dawned on me that your Forum Name is "gw" for short.  Good choice.

Edited for the spelling thing...
Was the COLD STEEL spelling a marketing ploy, or just bad spelling?
These word games really get to me.  Now I gotta know which way is correct.

OK, here is the Encyclopedia.com explanation---

Gurkha
    Gurkha
    Pronounced As: goork , ethnic group of Nepal. They claim
    descent from the Rajputs of N India and entered Nepal from
    the west after being driven from India. They conquered (early
    16th cent.) the small Nepalese state of Gurkha and henceforth
    called themselves Gurkhas. They expanded eastward, and by
    the mid-18th cent. had established their authority over all of
    Nepal. Their invasion of Tibet in 1791 brought Chinese
    retaliation, and a war (1814-16) with the British in India
    resulted in bringing strong British influence to Nepal. The
    Gurkhas, predominantly Tibeto-Mongolians, speak Khas, a
    Rajasthani dialect of Sanskritic origin. Under the Gurkha
    dynasty, Hinduism became the state religion of Nepal. Gurkhas
    have served in the armies of India and of Great Britain; over
    200,000 fought alongside the British in World War I, and 40
    battalions served in World War II. Gurkha soldiers bear the
    famed kukri, a short curved sword.

...so much for that noise!!!  
I hope that helped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a real Nepalese kukri, check out the Industry forums section of bladeforums.com

Himalayan Imports and Gurkha House both have links here, and they sell a rainbow of different kukris, mostly handforged out of truck springs.  Prices range from $60-$200s.  

They are very thick and heavy.  They are supposed to be durable, but I have only used the Cold Steel LTC.  Kukri afficionados seem to hate the LTC, so I guess I don't know what I am missing.  I think it chops very well, it's lightand I have generally beat the shit out of it, to the point where I had to take some scrap micarta from work and fashion a new handle for the used out kraton.  

If you go Cold Steel, get one of their factory seconds listed in their catalog for big savings.  They are beaters, not showpieces.

When you use one of those things, remember that they are basically an axe in chopping power.  you hit a part of your body with it, and you may not get the part back.  

I like kukris, because they have enough length that I can use them for a drawknife, and they chop well.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe "Rich in CM" cut down a small tree with his.  He said that he like his a lot.  I believe he got the one built by Ontario Knife Co.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Warlord, I actually own two of them now.  

The Cold Steel Gurkha Light Khukri is a good general purpose tool.  It is great as a machete or as a hatchet.  It will take off a 2" diameter tree limb with a single stroke.  Yes, this is the knife I used to cut down an 8" diameter tree.  There are just some things you gotta try once in your life...

You have to be a little careful with the edge as it does get dinged up if you hit something hard with it (like a rock).  I can attest personally as to how sharp they are as I lightly clipped my knee with it and ended up with a 1 1/2" long gash in my knee that needed 5 stitches.  

I also have a Gurkha House Silver Bhojpure.  That knife is a BEAST.  It is heavy, but actually pretty decently balanced.  It goes through a 5 lb chub of frozen hamburger in a single stroke.  

No wonder the Nazis were afraid of Gurkhas in WWII....

Remember that quiz where Jeff Cooper said in close combat in an elevator, would you want a hatchet or a .25ACP?  The question would have been moot if you substitute a khukri for the hatchet.

Don't waste your money on the Indian or Pakistani imitations.  They are not likely to be heat treated properly and won't hold an edge.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Cold Steel LTC khukri and have used it on numerous matches when prepping stages, cutting bush, small diamater trees and chopping sticks for use with IPSC targets. Has retained it´s sharpness and is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replys guys!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.cs.uwec.edu/~tan/www-docs/gurkha.html[/url]
run up and down the Himalayas your whole life you will get tough to if you surviv lol
only the best are taken...the gurkah now fight the Brits who are trying to screw them out of their pensions..and put them on parity with the Indian army rather than the British..fine way to treat your best..and then ask for more...
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah the cold steel models rock i have a 2nd i picked up at a gun show and i love it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Both Cold Steel and Spec Plus are making more refined Kukris, I think the Spec Plus goes for around $50 or so. The Cold Steel one has the traditional grip profile, while the Spec Plus has more or less the same grip as their other knives, which to me is more comfortable. They are excellent knives for general field use (chopping firewood, decapitation, etc) but don't leave home without the multi-tool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#15]
IMHO, the best buy for the money has got to be any of the COLD STEEL offerings. Their products range from the small LTC all the way up thru three or four different sizes in carbon and I think a couple in stainless. The monster Kukri they used to make is discontinued but you might spot one at a knife or gun show, I think they called it the ATC(?), the thing weighs a couple of pounds and could probably chop down a redwood tree.
I've been using Cold Steel stuff for as long as they have been making them, maybe fifteen or twenty years (I'm getting a little senile with dates) and the only time that I've seen one of their CARBON V blades damaged is when my kid brother used one to chop at a fire starter flint and took eight or nine chips out of the edge. Ten minutes with a folding diamond sharpner and it was shaving sharp again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]
One more vote for the ColdSteel.  I love my Kukri.  Chops everything, still seems like new.  Sheath could be a little more user freindly though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess that I'm a purist when it comes to matters concerning kukris.  I studied a Burmese / Nepalese martial art called, Bando, for 13 years where the kukri was the principal weapon taught after open hand training had progressed for a student.  The broad section of the blade gave the user tremendous intertia and mass in which to use either the point of the blade or the sharpened edge.  Since the back of the blade was also very thick and the flat side of the blade was equally massive, it could be used to strike an opponenet as well.  Similar to other sword play, the pummel of the weapon could be deployed as a blunt force weapon too.  In one blade you have a sword, hatchet, machete and club rolled all into one.  Kukris could be worn about the waist, behind the back and even worn on the calves/legs of a skilled fighter.  Advanced practicioners can use multiple kukris at once, turning them into walking killing machines.  If a gurkha warrior wanted to disrespect an opponent, he'd hit the combatant with the flat side of the blade scaring him and probably breaking his jaw and unable to fight.  Althought the blade is typically only 9-18" in length Gurkhas frequently beheaded and cut in half their adversaries on the battle field.  Similar to other cultures, kukris were passed from generation to generation within a family and there were often "families" of blades, whereby there were multiple kukris of differing sizes, with family engravings on them.  A true enthusiast can spend as much as $1000 for a rare design.  The best modern kukri made is by Cold Steel.  My martial arts instructor, Dr. Maung Gyi, a Gurkha, helped Lyn Thompson of Cold Steel design the Gurkha Kukri, the Gurkha Light and the Gurkha Officers Model.  The Gurkha Kukri is the finest of the designs and is the most rugged.  The earlier LTC Kukri produced by Cold Steel is not as versitile as the other models, due to it's awkward design.  When I started training in Bando 13 years ago, I had dreamed of a modern kukri being produced for our training.  Thank god for Cold Steel and the American Bando Association for producing the Gurkha Kukri.  I hope that this helps you to understand this topic a bit more.  Stay away from the $25 copies if you're looking for the real thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top