Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2001 5:38:46 PM EDT
Anyone know how to disassemble a S&W model 59 autopistol?  I've had the thing for months and haven't knocked on the magic spot yet.  Bought it from the biggest gun store within 1,000 miles - they don't know how either.  

So far I think we can rule out unscrewing the barrel bushing 'cuz the recoil spring guide impedes its rotation & I haven't found a way to retract that guide.  Slide lock doesn't appear to rotate downward at all & rotating it up only locks the slide.  I've taken the grips off & found nothing to diddle there.  I showed the gun to several handgun-savvy folks who collectively have spent the better part of a day trying to get it apart.  No disassembly instructions were located in my fairly extensive library either.  Anyone?  

Model 39 instructions would be cool too as they're apparently pretty similar models.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried the first set of instructions... nada.   Ordered the S&W manual, resigned myself to waiting for it, came back here to post a thank you note... then I read the second set, fiddled with it for all of 10 seconds, and it fell apart like butter on a hot day!  Thanks a million!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got a mdl 59 I picked up cheeeeep because of a jamming problem.  Determined the problem as failure to fully extract, causing the next round in the mag to lodge against the feed ramp under the fired case.  I have polished the chamber and replaced the extractor, extractor spring with new replacement parts yet I still get an occasional failure to extract.  When I lock the slide and remove the mag the empty falls right out.  Anyone got any Idea's.
View Quote

Try nickel plated brass, low velocity amo, maybe adjust the Mag ears on top.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
S&W Armorer's Manual:

dirty or damaged chamber  clean chamber replace barrel

faulty ammo   change ammo

damaged extractor  replace extractor

damaged extractor spring     replace spring

damaged recoil spring   replace recoil spring

Most likely extractor but try ammo and a good cleaning and lube first.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top