Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2001 1:24:21 PM EDT
I'm planning to buy one of the two  bi-pods for my new AR-15 and I don't know what one to get and I was told by a few people that the versa-pod was the best made. Now I like the way Harris looks and its used by almost all military and LEO snipers or sharpshooters. What I'd like to know because I have never used any of them what one do you think is best and why. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several Harris bipods.  They work great.  I haven't used Versa Pod, so I can't really say about them.  My Harris was recommended over the Versa Pod to me by my dealer, who I have known for years, so I took his word.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The best made would probably be the Parker-Hale, which has features the Versa-Pod tries to emulate. I had a Versa-Pod for a while... Hated it. You couldn't leave the rifle sitting on the bipod for fear it would tip and roll. The Versa-Pod can really raise the center-of-gravity depending on the rifle, sometimes too far. I have the Harris swivel-type with the swivel-lock, and QD knob. A damn good set -up and it didn't cost me $285 (Parker-Hale). Just my .01.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, but I prefer the Harris.  It took a little bit of work with a dremel tool to get the Versapod mount on.  Not a good mark in my book.  However, in use, the quick detach feature of the Versapod leaves an awkward block of plastic in the way, whereas I've never had a desire to remove the Harris.  I used both of these with bolt action rifles and I did try putting the Versapod on my AR, but took it off since it looked and felt silly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Versa-Pods SUCK.   [b]Harris Bipods RULE[/b]
Harris bipods have a pivot who needs a swivel???Are you shooting your gun up-side down???

Versa-pods are ugly, stick out way too much, look flimsy, and you need special equipment just to mount.

Harris Bipods are VERY solid, secure, just as easy to remove as the "other".  Don't need special equipment to mount on most rifles.  Several manufactures of rifles are adding 2 front sling posts JUST to accomidate the Harris Bipods.  Harris Bipods are used by the Military and Police forces all over the US...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Harris and like it tremendously. I am going to buy another soon.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to side with the "Versa-Pods Suck" crowd.  I found them too unstable for my uses, and after trying to add tension knobs and modify my shooting position, I sold it to a Dallas P.D. SWAT instructor, put the Harris back on, and immediately cut my groups in half.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Harris bipods are way better than the versa pod.  I have them mounted on my ARs as well on my 700.  They are simple to use.  I played with a versa pod and I did not like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top