Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2001 8:09:23 PM EDT
What the hell is the difference between magazines and clips??

I thought clips were for shotguns.. but I always see magazines being called clips, and clips being called magazines..

so, what is the diference?
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Magazines are were you store ammo.M14 mag,M16 mag and mass storage are reffered to as magazines.Clips are stripper and enbloc as in the garand
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Captain Obvious:

In the modern military we would never call a magazine a clip.  I believe a true "clip" is something you load up and drop down into the rifle, ie. something like the M1 Garand clips.  I'd bet that because so many Americans served during WW II that clip just worked its way into our lexicon as something you stick in weapon with bullets to load 'er up.  

I guess it just depends on what your definition of "is" is.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Do you know the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine"?
by Dick Culver

(Originally published in the April 1998 Edition of the CMP Newsletter "The First Shot")
    How many of you folks out there remember Humphrey Bogart stuffing a fresh "clip" in his Colt .45? "Humph Baby" was mistaken of course, he was in fact inserting a fresh magazine in his faithful "gat" ("heater", "roscoe" or "rod" to use the slang of the era)!

If you want to be politically and technically correct, you must remember that a "magazine" is loaded by (or with) a "clip". For instance the magazine of an M1 Rifle is loaded with an eight round "en-bloc"  clip. On the other hand you insert a fresh magazine in your faithful .45. The 1903 Magazine Rifle (as it was originally called) was loaded and reloaded with a 5 round "stripper clip" as was the 1917 Enfield. The Krag Rifle’s "magazine" was loaded with loose rounds out of a cartridge belt. An M14 Rifle was loaded and reloaded with fresh 20 round "magazines", but on the other hand, the 20 round magazine (if it left in the rifle) could be reloaded with  5 round stripper clips using the "clip slot"(or more correctly, "charger guide") on top of the receiver.

All this probably doesn’t make a tremendous amount of difference, but if you like "snob appeal" you can revel in your superior knowledge as you reload your .45 with a new magazine or reload your M1 with a fresh clip!

[url]http://www.jouster.com/trivia/clip-mag.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
A magazine in the firearm sense of the word is something that directly feeds ammunition to the gun. Such as an M16 magazine or a Glock magazine etc.

A clip is something that is either used to charge a magazine or the weapon itself. Such as an en bloc clip for an M1 Garand or stripper clips for the SKS or M16 magazines.

A clip is a clip and a mag is a mag. Some people just call everything clips but they are easily told apart.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ponyboy,

Thank you... I knew the difference, but you posted it perfectly.
I now know how to best explain it to someone else.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
A magazine is something you read.
A clip is something little girls wear in their hair.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
A magazine has a body, follower, spring.

A clip is a clip that holds the ammo together. The spring and follower are part of the firearm.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/82/eW/eJ/4G66703.jpg[/img]
[:D]
M16 20round magazine 5.56mm.
M1 Garand "en-bloc" clip 30-06
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top