Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2001 12:17:01 PM EDT
I just skimmed a copy of Ontario Out of doors and came across an ad from Plano molding ( they make tackle boxes as well as gun cases etc from injection molded plastic).  Anyway I took offense to the ad and wanted the groups take on it.

The add features the deck of a rigged out bass boat with several chalk outlines of fish, such as you would find at a crime scene.  The ad says

" He must have used a Magnum 44"

It seems that magnum 44 is the name of their latest line of tackle boxes.  I was non plussed to say the least.  I guess all they could think of was handguns in a negative sense....
This from a company that MANUFACTURES HANDGUN CASES!!!!

www.planomolding.com

Anyone else seen this ad?  ( oh it is not on their website)
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Paul...Just what sort of fish do they have in your neck of the woods????  Damn they must be massive!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure Plano didn't intend for it to be taken that seriously.

Bradd
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Taking a .44 mag fishing in my neck of the woods is common practice.  However, it's not for the fish.... It's for the bears.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats my whole point Bradd.  Its gotten so bad that even our suppliers are using Negative gun ads...Afterall Handguns are only good for killing people RIGHT!!

This sort of thing is becoming more and more prevelent up here in Canada.  Mothers Against Drunk Driving ( MADD) even has a poster campain with a gun ( model 666) that  shoots beer bottles and ejects cans.  Their TV add has a guy throw his keys in the air and they turn into a auto pistol which he proceeds to blast into the crowd......the caption....Drinking and Driving is a loaded weapon.....

This sort of thing drives me up the wall
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
lighten up guys. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking the same thing the other day.

I cannot find Small Arms Review anymore!!

I still can find Soldier of Fortune but that is crap!!

Have to ask around Guelph...I move there in 43 days.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
lighten up guys. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Lighten up????

Maybe you can lighten up in the states!!

Up here in Canada our anti gun lobby seems to be a little more ahead of the game...its too late to lighten up!!

Perhaps you should pull up your socks a bit before you lightened up too much and have NOTHING LEFT!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
i doubt plano is anti-gun. i havnt seen the ad in question, but if i had i would have laughed. i dont see anything anti about the ad. maybe instead of complaining how bad it is in canada u should be writing your rep.s in the gubbament and getting the word out that the anti's are wrong. but whatever, take it anyway u want.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Well Biff I have been doing as you suggest.  I am the president of my local club.  I am a thorn in the side of my local Member of Parliment. ( He has said so on many an occasion).  I have gotten 12 letters to the editor in local papers over the past year and a half.  I am a member of the National Firearms Association.....I AM DOING MY PART

That is why I object to such ads from our so called friends.  It sure does not help the cause.  As you are aware there are many fishermen and long rifle owners that already are of the opinion that NOBODY NEEDS A HANDGUN.

I think that the ad is a cheap shot at gun owners. Guess you do not agree.....such is life I guess.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have not seen the ad but from your discription it does not appear in a negative light to me.  There're just trying to equate their ( powerful ) product to a commonly known ( powerful ) product.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have not seen the ad but from your discription it does not appear in a negative light to me.  There're just trying to equate their ( powerful ) product to a commonly known ( powerful ) product.
View Quote

You are correct except about the lack of negativity!!  Note the use of Chalk outlines....they only do that with murders...mind you handguns like the all powerfull 44 Mag are only good for murder!!! RIGHT??

WHEW....with attitudes like you guys it may not be too long before you guys have gun laws as bad as here in Canada....don't say I did not warn you!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top