Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to get them all the time.  but since I started using Listerene, or the wal mart equivilant "Equate"  I hardly ever get them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What causes these things?

Semen

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

I never have that in my mouth

your right, just in your ASS  

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What causes these things?

Semen

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

I never have that in my mouth

your right, just in your ASS  

I'm such a bastard.  

Zen

"This is my humor, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard sucking zombies purple headed snot slingers will cause sores.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It may be a burn.  Try letting the coffee cool a bit more........

/that is what happens to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew I shouldn't hit that button again.  Farking hang fire...........!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Taxman, I have had them as long as I can remember. Both me and my younger brother get them. There are many reasons and possibilities why they form. When I was younger from the ages of 5 years old to my early twenties I got them the most. Sometime I  would have up to 6 in my mouth at a time. It was hard to talk let alone eat sometimes. Until the 9th grade I use to chew my nails then I stopped and this seemed to help somewhat although I still chewed on skin on fingers.

Some possible factors that might increase formations of Canker sores:

Not keeping mouth clean enough( lack or not enough use of mouthwash, putting fingers in mouth).

Stress

Poor diet- eat a balanced diet

Using toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate in it. Sodium lauryl sulfate is a cleanser that they put in most toothpastes. There has been studies that suggest that it can act on an irritant to your mouth. People who used toothpaste with out this cleanser have noticed significant reduction in formation. Sensodine(spelling) makes a toothpaste without it although it is expensive.

Health-I have noticed whenever I get a sore throat or feeling run down I get them sometimes.

Acidic foods like citrus, soft drinks, and tomatoe based foods.

What works for me.

Better diet-no fried foods(especially freedom fries), no beef hamburgers, more fruits and vegetables, cut out Coke(soda) almost entirely(one a week as a treat)
keeping fingers out of mouth as much as possible( I still chew on skin from time to time, but I'm slowing stopping)

I have my finances in order (reduces stress level).

Use Listerine mouthwash at least 2 times a day and leave it in mouth for over a minute forcing through teeth back and forth.

I don't always use the toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate but it does help me.

I have noticed I can go sometimes 3-4 months without a canker sore and I rarely get more than one. I used to have almost at least one at any given time.

Taxman don't use the Hydrogen Peroxide( I know its not 100% I was a chemistry major in college) full strength because it will eat at your enamel on your teeth.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Mega-doses of Zinc.  

This was suggested to me by my dentist.  I have had luck with it.  As soon as I feel one coming on, I take about 3-4 50mg tablets per night.

Google 'canker' and 'zinc'.
Tissue damaged by canker sores has demonstrated an enhanced recovery rate with adequate zinc intake. Total prevention or reduced frequency also occurs when zinc is supplemented in those with zinc deficiency.

I have had these since grade school, though they seem to have largely cleared up since I turned 30 or so.

Best of luck.  These things really suck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#9]
dont know what the deal is but, mix maalox and benadryl to get rid of them. it coats pretty well and gets rid of it usually.,
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about canker sores?

I think so, what the hell causes them and how to get rid of them

Can be caused by lots of different things, and the root cause is unknown.  It can be a minor allergic reaction to foods, a reaction to spicy foods, stress, etc.

I usually put some iodized salt on mine and they clear up pretty quick.  Hurts like a bitch though when you do it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
You may have herpes simplex I.   Take bioflavenoids on a regular basis to avoid non herpes related mouth sores.  Herpes sores are usually on the lips or face.

BTW 50 percent of middle class people have Herpes simplex I.  80 percent of poorer folks have herpes I.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
To minimize these in-mouth canker sores (which are indeed a form of herpes, with which over 50% of American adults are infected, and which is permanently in your body), you must primarily do two things:

1-- Get enough sleep.

2--  Use mouthwash (listerine regular is best) at least 2X a day:  in the morning after you brush your teeth, and before you go to bed (after you brush your teeth) as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top